U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2008, 01:18 PM

3 posts, read 6,516 times

Advertisements

Ok, I need some serious advice. I'm going crazy with brokers in Manhattan....

I'm thinking about moving to Jersey. I just took a job in West Nyack, and my boyfriend who I live with goes to law school in Queens. We need to find something that's do-able for both of us. I would like to be near nature, but still have an urban feel to the area. I would like to have a shorter commute to West Nyack, and have something that's do-able for him to Queens. Does anyone have any recommendations of areas to look into or any good apts? We can't afford too much because he's still in grad school. Any advice would be appreciated. Going crazy here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 01:25 PM

1,419 posts, read 3,068,647 times
Stay in West Nyack and let him do the commuting. The big issue is crossing the Hudson. There's no benefit in commuting to Queens from New Jersey as opposed to from West Nyack. Why both commute when you can just as well live close to your job?

Other advantages to staying in Nyack:
1) The cost of living and renting is cheaper than in Bergen County.
2) Maybe you could get by without your own car, just sharing one with your bf?
3) You won't have to file income tax returns for two states.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:37 PM

We live in Brooklyn right now.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:38 PM

107 posts, read 310,881 times
Default Riverdale?

what about Riverdale in the Bronx? You can find some pretty cheap rentals with parking

Old 05-09-2008, 01:49 PM

1,419 posts, read 3,068,647 times
Default Move to West Nyack

Quote:
Originally Posted by HilarySteffens View Post
We live in Brooklyn right now.
Then, I'd suggest that you move to West Nyack for the same reasons given in my earlier post. Forget New Jersey. Why should both of you commute?

And get out of the City. Why subject yourself to city income taxes when you won't be working there?

Old 05-09-2008, 11:16 PM

My boyfriend hates the idea of moving to the burbs. He loves the noise and culture of the city. I'm kind of the opposite.....blah. Not sure what to do, I finally found a place in between in an area that seems to be moving up and is 34 minutes for me and 21 for him. It's in Harlem....in a new doorman building. Seems nice, if he doesn't go for it, I'm going to consider finding a place I can afford on my own and he can come if he wants. I'm sick of doing everything for his career when he can't consider me. Sorry to get personal, need to vent after all day with brokers and a stubborn boyfriend.

Old 05-10-2008, 03:32 PM
ira

657 posts, read 3,415,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HilarySteffens View Post
Ok, I need some serious advice. I'm going crazy with brokers in Manhattan....

I'm thinking about moving to Jersey. I just took a job in West Nyack, and my boyfriend who I live with goes to law school in Queens. We need to find something that's do-able for both of us. I would like to be near nature, but still have an urban feel to the area. I would like to have a shorter commute to West Nyack, and have something that's do-able for him to Queens. Does anyone have any recommendations of areas to look into or any good apts? We can't afford too much because he's still in grad school. Any advice would be appreciated. Going crazy here.
Moving is pretty expensive (no matter where) not to mention painful. Why don't you stay where you are until your situation becomes more permanent? I mean, he is still in school and you guys are still dating. Let him finish school, propose and then you can find a more permanent place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey