Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 12:53 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,572,652 times

Advertisements

I have been reshearching information on good neighborhoods for young families in the NYC metro area. I've heard good things about alot of different neighborhoods. My situation is that I have two little boys one is 4 years old(he will be 5 when we plan to move) and the other is 2 months(he will be one) and my fiancee. I will be just working when we first move there then eventually I will be attending school probably a community college at first then transferring to Rutgers to cut cost down. She already has a degree and is already applying and interviewing for a job in the city. I was told before in a previous post about some nice towns in New Jersey like Edgewater, Cliffside Park, Hoboken, Jersey City, Fort Lee, Weehawken, West New York, Elizabeth, Edison, Union City, and etc. and nice neighborhoods all over the five broughs in the city itself. Now that I can be more specific I figured I could get better info. We are looking for a place to rent that is at least 2 bedrooms(I would perfer 3 bedrooms) for less than $2000 a month, maybe a bit higher if necessary like $2500 in a neighborhood that isn't to dangerous and has decent transportation to the city and New Brunswick like train or bus with driving being an option. I looked on craigslist at places in the area and I seen some places in the price range in Newark, Elizabeth, Harrison, Kearny, Journal square district of JC, parts of Brooklyn, parts of Queens, Stanten Island, and in Yonkers. I have seen on tv and heard about people from out of town getting real estate agents to help them find a place and I was wondering do they cover the whole area or just the city itself? Is it better to rent in the city or in jersey? I will be visiting a few times this summer so any suggestions of neighborhoods would be helpful. I am losing my mind trying to find the best neighborhoods. Please help!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 03:14 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,369,890 times
Those places you mentioned are all not that great safety wise. But for less than 2K, you will have to sacrifice. For 2 or 3+ beds, expect to pay more for a better area.
I moved out of Jersey City for several reasons, one being safety. Hmmm..Maybe look further away from city like cranford, rutherford...I prob would check those 2 places first.

Also, I would not buy now unless you are willing to lose $ on your home after several weeks. Renting is way to go..Especially if you are new to area, you might not like it and want to move out..Wont be able to do that if you own.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post
Those places you mentioned are all not that great safety wise. But for less than 2K, you will have to sacrifice. For 2 or 3+ beds, expect to pay more for a better area.
I moved out of Jersey City for several reasons, one being safety. Hmmm..Maybe look further away from city like cranford, rutherford...I prob would check those 2 places first.

Also, I would not buy now unless you are willing to lose $ on your home after several weeks. Renting is way to go..Especially if you are new to area, you might not like it and want to move out..Wont be able to do that if you own.

I was planning to rent. I was looking at Rutherford also someone else mentioned that before also. Where is cranford?

Old 05-09-2008, 03:53 PM

786 posts, read 2,662,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
I was planning to rent. I was looking at Rutherford also someone else mentioned that before also. Where is cranford?
Google Maps is your friend.
Google Maps

The town is west of Elizabeth...

There is a train to NYC, but not direct, and New Brunswick is about 20 minutes away to GSP exit 130 then rt 1 (I used to go to Rutgers). Cranford is also home to the Union County College main campus (also went here).

$2500 should get you a 3 bedroom home.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:59 PM

604 posts, read 2,913,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post

Yes renting is the way to go, why waste money on a mortgage and those pesky tax deductions when you can just give your money to some landlord so he can make his mortgage payments. We all know that every house is losing value and pretty soon they will be giving them away. Yes renting is the way to go for smart money managers

E

Old 05-09-2008, 04:06 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,804,491 times
Rutherford is a nice town and an easy commute to NYC. You can get a 2 br for under $2000. For a bit more, you could rent a small house.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:40 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,896,865 times
Springfield, South Orange, Maplewood, Cranford (as mentioned), Morristown all might have rentals in your range and they are safer than Elizabeth, JC, Newark. If you are thinking of only staying for a few years. Normally I don't recommend South Orange and Maplewood because I don't think the schools are as good as other areas but generally for Kindergarten thru 3rd grade most school districts seem to do a decent job. I will also add that as a teacher in Elizabeth you will get more for you money and there are some areas that are safe and again the schools up through the elementary level do a decent job.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:03 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,018,609 times
Cranford is a great town and the schools are good. An agent would only show you properties that would fit your criteria in your price range, so you are not wasting a lot of time looking at homes that won't work. There are homes in Cranford in your price range. For the most part agents cover as much area that they are comfortable with. I cover most of Union County, parts of Somerset and Hunterdon Counties.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:08 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,854,770 times
dorian $2000 is nothing to scoff at and should definitely get you 2 bedroom in a NICE town, NOT A GHETTO. We were paying $1100 for a 2 bed, 1.5 bath in Hawthorne, very decent solid safe town. It is not "Ridgewood" (but borders it!) but also not Newark. You need to just get a feel for what the nice towns are, your wants and needs and go from there. Consider how the wife will be commuting to the city.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrjersey View Post
Springfield, South Orange, Maplewood, Cranford (as mentioned), Morristown all might have rentals in your range and they are safer than Elizabeth, JC, Newark. If you are thinking of only staying for a few years. Normally I don't recommend South Orange and Maplewood because I don't think the schools are as good as other areas but generally for Kindergarten thru 3rd grade most school districts seem to do a decent job. I will also add that as a teacher in Elizabeth you will get more for you money and there are some areas that are safe and again the schools up through the elementary level do a decent job.

Is Elizabeth not safe? Or is it just big with a large range of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey