Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2021, 07:53 AM

23,815 posts, read 33,315,086 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised there's not a thread about the cyber strike against the Colonial pipeline which is also in NJ. They have 2 locations, one down by me in the Woodbury area and another in Linden NJ.

When I got gas yesterday, the guy said that they've tried to schedule a fuel delivery but it's hard to get one, so he said they will most likely be out for a few days. I'll be shocked if the rest of NJ doesn't see outages even though they've put the refineries back online. If you need gas, you should go get some just in case. I had lower then a half a tank so I needed gas yesterday. I don't drive much so I don't go by either of the 2 Sunoco stations I use that often, so whenever I'm near one, I'll fill my tank any way.

I went on the Colonial Pipeline web site, these are the refineries that were taken off line: Atlanta, Ga., Belton and Spartanburg, S.C., Charlotte and Greensboro, N.C., Baltimore, Md., and Woodbury and Linden N.J. Woodbury would be our service area, so yes, it will affect my area. Linden is the North Jersey and New York market. I'm not sure if they travel farther North but the people in Northern states have to get their fuel from somewhere.

According to Patrick De Haan from Gas Buddy as of last night, NJ was showing 1% out of gas.
From his tweet these are the states that are without gas:

10pm CT: As expected, outages moving mildly higher. Expecting limited improvement overnight, but not major improvements yet. % of stations without gas:
AL 9%
DC 42%
DE 5%
FL 29%
GA 50%
KY 3%
LA 0%
MD 31%
MS 6%
NC 74%
NJ 1%
SC 53%
TN 27%
TX 0%
VA 56%
WV 6%

Colonial Pipeline back online amid gas shortage following cyberattack

Quote:
Following this restart, it will take several days for the product delivery supply chain to return to normal," Colonial Pipeline said in a statement. "Some markets served by Colonial Pipeline may experience, or continue to experience, intermittent service interruptions during the start-up period."

"Colonial will move as much gasoline, diesel, and jet fuel as is safely possible and will continue to do so until markets return to normal," the statement added.

"Tonight’s announcement means there’s an end in sight for the supply disruptions that have affected States across the Southeast," said White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki. "As Colonial Pipeline works to safely and fully resume operations over the next few days, we will stay in close contact with the company and will continue to offer any assistance needed—as we have done since the outset of this shutdown on Friday."

Hackers had demanded millions in ransom money – which the pipeline operator refused to pay, enlisting help from the Department of Energy, as well as federal, state and local authorities instead. Earlier this week, the company had resumed partial operations under manual control, according to a Wednesday statement from Deputy Energy Secretary Dave Turk.

Last edited by Roselvr; 05-13-2021 at 08:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2021, 12:34 PM

5,767 posts, read 16,520,203 times
I had heard in general news that the refinery in Linden had started back up a few days ago.

Old 05-13-2021, 12:48 PM

3,414 posts, read 1,802,894 times
I really thought the stations would be affected.. aside from usual volume.. seems like.. NOPE!

Prices haven't even gone up.

Old 05-13-2021, 02:55 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,512,341 times
Default Closed pipeline shouldn’t lead to gas shortage in N.J., experts say

Including the link for nj.com subscribers but I was able to read it by just giving them my email.

https://www.nj.com/news/2021/05/how-...gas-pumps.html

By Larry Higgs | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
Two events have drivers concerned about where gas prices are headed: the recent cyberattack that shut down the Colonial Pipeline, which moves gasoline between Gulf Coast refineries and the east coast, and a shortage of drivers qualified to drive tanker trucks.

An expert in global petroleum prices said he is more concerned about the driver shortage than the pipeline, and predicted New Jersey will not see gas shortages because of the pipeline, if people don’t engage in panic buying.

“The driver shortage is real. I’m more worried about that than the pipeline,” said Tom Kloza, Oil Price Information Service global petroleum analyst.

The cyberattack on the pipeline computers prompted Colonial Pipeline to “proactively” take certain systems offline to contain the threat, “which temporarily halted all pipeline operations” on Friday, Colonial officials said in a statement. The 5,500-mile pipeline transports more than 100 million gallons of fuel daily, through a pipeline system spanning more than 5,500 miles between Texas and New Jersey.

On Monday, the company said in a statement it has a goal of “substantially restoring operational service by the end of the week.”

Southern states saw spot shortages Monday as a result of the temporary shutdown, but it’s not likely to cause the same issue here for several reasons, Kloza said.

First, tanks along the New Jersey Turnpike are where the Colonial Pipeline ends, Kloza said.

“We have a lot of product and we happen to house the terminus, the end of the line for the Colonial Pipeline,” he said. “I think we’ll see something that is annoying or inconvenient, but not apocalyptic.”

We also get the product from other sources, he said. For the past three consecutive weeks, more than 1 million barrels of gasoline a day were imported from Europe, Kloza said. Most of it is shipped through the Port of New York and New Jersey, Kloza said. Refining capacity in the northeast also produces another 600,000 barrels of gas a day, he said.

“We’ll see occasional outages at terminals and on the distributer level, mostly in the southeast (U.S.),” Kloza said. “We (in the northeast) are less dependent on the Colonial Pipeline because we get a lot from foreign refiners.”

Old 05-13-2021, 03:08 PM

19,050 posts, read 25,167,084 times
In my travels over the past 3 days, I have not observed any unusually long lines at gas stations in Central NJ, and the price per gallon doesn't seem to have been impacted. Initially, I was tempted to fill my tank as a precaution, even though it was at the 3/4 mark, but after reading Larry Higgs' previous articles on the topic I came to the conclusion that this was not necessary in NJ. As of today, it appears that Mr. Higgs was correct.

Old 05-13-2021, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
In my travels over the past 3 days, I have not observed any unusually long lines at gas stations in Central NJ, and the price per gallon doesn't seem to have been impacted. Initially, I was tempted to fill my tank as a precaution, even though it was at the 3/4 mark, but after reading Larry Higgs' previous articles on the topic I came to the conclusion that this was not necessary in NJ. As of today, it appears that Mr. Higgs was correct.
Thank you. The less fear mongering the better.

Old 05-13-2021, 03:49 PM

Unless they do tomorrow, or over the weekend...

Old 05-13-2021, 04:08 PM

I am about to be in the line at Costco, Brick NJ (Rt 70) for gas.

White Subaru.. guy in a hat? Its me.

Old 05-13-2021, 04:30 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,009,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrioticSuperman View Post
I really thought the stations would be affected.. aside from usual volume.. seems like.. NOPE!

Prices are up. And some stations have no gas.

Old 05-13-2021, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
Prices are up. And some stations have no gas.
In New Jersey? No. Southeast yes. Panic buying is driving this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey