U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 10:26 AM

2,707 posts, read 5,000,628 times

Advertisements

Here is Paulus Hook...sorry:
Attached Thumbnails
Great Places to live in Jersey City-paulus-hook-brownstones.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 10:27 AM

1,308 posts, read 3,116,637 times
atually my other grandparents lived on Britton (sp?) street that wasnt so bad. So how is good ole Duncan Ave?

Old 05-13-2008, 10:29 AM

Now, Fischfan...remind me. Why exactly do you "laugh your a** off" when people call it Historic Downtown Jersey City?

If not historic, then what adjective would you use to describe these noteworthy 160 year old buildings, which are pristinely preserved?

It's OK...you can admit that my neighborhood is nice. If you would finally tell us what township you live in, maybe I'll even be nice and admit that your town is nice. I know the shore very well.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:33 AM

Mary, Duncan Avenue is West Side, and Britton Ave, which I had to look up on a map, is in McGinley Square. In my humble opinion, those 2 areas are dumpy/seedy.

Please see the photos that I posted in the previous 4 posts. These photos are of Historic Downtown Jersey City...this is the neighborhood I live in, and it is the only part of town that I would recommend living in.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:41 AM

so you grew up there? now do you understand why I feel the way I do about JC? I just remember almost every weekend having t9o go there and sit inside cause they were too scared to let us go out. It sucked lol!

Old 05-13-2008, 10:47 AM

11,020 posts, read 15,710,877 times
Tommy!

What is Ninth St currently like?? My great grand father lived in a Brownstone there, as a matter of fact that is where he died in 1914.

I would like to spend a day wandering about there...St Michaels Church ..one of those beautiful stained glass windows was donated by my great grand father and great grand mother..would like to see it.

When you are very young stuff like that doesn't seem important or worth a look but they, the great grandparents were post civil war residents and quite prominent back in the day

Old 05-13-2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Tommy!

What is Ninth St currently like?? My great grand father lived in a Brownstone there, as a matter of fact that is where he died in 1914.

I would like to spend a day wandering about there...St Michaels Church ..one of those beautiful stained glass windows was donated by my great grand father and great grand mother..would like to see it.

When you are very young stuff like that doesn't seem important or worth a look but they, the great grandparents were post civil war residents and quite prominent back in the day
been waiting for you Kate I knew you would post on this lol

Old 05-13-2008, 10:51 AM

11,020 posts, read 15,710,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marye711 View Post
been waiting for you Kate I knew you would post on this lol

Parts of JC are still very nice....I wish I could afford a place downtown
My kids are grown and I do like city life...now hubbie..that's another story..lol

Old 05-13-2008, 11:07 AM

Mary, nope, I've just lived in Downtown JC for just over 2 years. I was primarily raised in the suburbs (Cranford), although I was born in NYC.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:13 AM

Kate, 9th Street is very, very nice. That's the desireable Hamilton Park Neighborhood. In fact, 9th Street flanks the park. It's a nice tree-lined street with brownstones and brick rowhouses. See the photos I posted above labeled Hamilton Park.

Regarding St Michael's...I am thinking of putting an offer on a condo in the converted convent right next door to the church. The converted convent is just gorgeous.

I encourage you, on a nice Saturday, to take a stroll around there. There are some nice cafes/bars/restaurants there as well. I can recommend a few if you'd like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey