Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 07:15 AM

279 posts, read 1,086,225 times

Advertisements

I am curious why do public schools close for certain Jewish holidays? I went to Catholic School up until college and never gave it much thought. I mean if public schools are non-secular, why close schools on those holidays. Some schools even have problems with the word "God" stated in the Pledge of Alligence. Can anyone share any real insight. I am just curious and not trying to offend or question anyone's religion here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 07:59 AM

1,276 posts, read 1,418,156 times
I think it's a local decision based on the town's demographics. Our school district, Boonton, did not close on the recent Jewish holidays, but two neighboring towns' schools did. So it's not a state-wide mandate, by any means.

Good Friday seems to be handled the same way. These are not national holidays and can be recognized, or not, on the local level.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:17 AM

990 posts, read 2,556,216 times
Probably for the same reason they close for Christmas and Easter.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:23 AM

249 posts, read 753,667 times
Schools with a large number of students or staff that celebrate certain holidays will work said holidays into their calendar. This avoids huge numbers or students/staff taking off on their own on those days. My district gives us off for some Muslim holidays as well, but my sister teaches in another town in NJ and hers does not.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:57 PM

18,460 posts, read 15,239,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banger View Post
Exactly. If enough students and/or teachers will be taking the day off anyway, what is the point? Imagine trying to find enough substitute teachers if 1/4 or more of the teachers in a district will be absent. It wouldn't be easy, especially considering there are plenty of substitutes who are Jewish too. Christmas isn't an American holiday either, but what would be the point of holding classes so many people wouldn't show up?

Old 09-19-2010, 04:43 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,024,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banger View Post
I'll second that and all the other comments.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:14 PM

Well we don't have to worry about many schools closing on Easter "Sunday."

Old 09-19-2010, 06:20 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,414,855 times
Yes, I believe it has more to do with the staff.... it would be pretty difficult to get coverage for the teachers, and also since many students would be out....
And last I checked, no matter what day of the week Dec 25 is, you can be guaranteed that schools are off.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderling View Post
I think it's a local decision based on the town's demographics. Our school district, Boonton, did not close on the recent Jewish holidays, but two neighboring towns' schools did. So it's not a state-wide mandate, by any means.

Good Friday seems to be handled the same way. These are not national holidays and can be recognized, or not, on the local level.
Thanks for the reply. This helps me to understand better. I remember attending NYU and many times tests on fridays used to be postponed because of the large number of religious Jewish students not able to attend class that day. I remember when I had asked about taking off Good Friday, my teacher told me that it would not be possible for me to postpone the test. Institutions are supposed to make reasonable accommodations for religious reasons, yes?

Old 09-19-2010, 06:36 PM

18,460 posts, read 15,239,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmgvr4 View Post
I remember when I had asked about taking off Good Friday, my teacher told me that it would not be possible for me to postpone the test.
That is pretty surprising. The professor was definitely in the wrong. If you would have fought it, you would have won.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: