U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-19-2021, 06:53 PM
 
4 posts, read 2,502 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

Hello -

I've recently moved to Scotch Plains and received the first water bill from American Water showing a fixed service charge of $149 on top of the actual usage of $14. Called AW customer service and was advised that this is a recurring fixed charge irrespective of the actual usage and the rep was unable to substantiate how this fixed service charge was derived.

Is is normal in Scotch Plains? Paying a fixed service charge that's almost 10 times than the actual usage is very ridiculous.

Appreciate all the help and inputs!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-20-2021, 12:58 AM
 
5,377 posts, read 3,174,944 times
Reputation: 6784
Quote:
Originally Posted by mononkeneo View Post
Hello -

I've recently moved to Scotch Plains and received the first water bill from American Water showing a fixed service charge of $149 on top of the actual usage of $14. Called AW customer service and was advised that this is a recurring fixed charge irrespective of the actual usage and the rep was unable to substantiate how this fixed service charge was derived.

Is is normal in Scotch Plains? Paying a fixed service charge that's almost 10 times than the actual usage is very ridiculous.

Appreciate all the help and inputs!
No idea about Scotch Plains, but in Parsippany the mayor (he is really bad) let expenses get out of hand and instead of raising property taxes 15% everyone started getting massive water bills there. The water bill activity could be $20 and last year the total bill would be $50 but the reoccuring bill is $250 now with all the sewer charges, which is basically a hidden property tax.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2021, 06:00 AM
 
Location: NJ
21,356 posts, read 29,053,987 times
Reputation: 25147
We have a set surcharge too for delivery. My daughter said hers was $60, I'm not sure if that's what we pay too or if it's different for everyone. I'm in south Jersey. Got out of North Jersey in the 90's because it's so expensive. We had a well in my last town. I miss that.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2021, 11:47 AM
 
304 posts, read 161,031 times
Reputation: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by mononkeneo View Post
Hello -

I've recently moved to Scotch Plains and received the first water bill from American Water showing a fixed service charge of $149 on top of the actual usage of $14. Called AW customer service and was advised that this is a recurring fixed charge irrespective of the actual usage and the rep was unable to substantiate how this fixed service charge was derived.

Is is normal in Scotch Plains? Paying a fixed service charge that's almost 10 times than the actual usage is very ridiculous.

Appreciate all the help and inputs!
I'm about to move to Scotch Plains. Is that per month??
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2021, 12:17 PM
 
4 posts, read 2,502 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by baycurious123 View Post
I'm about to move to Scotch Plains. Is that per month??
Yup - this is a monthly charge that gets added to your actual usage. I live in a townhouse complex (about 100 units) and spoke with our neighbor that she's also getting charged the same fixed amount every month. Not sure if it's the same for all regions in Scotch Plains. I tried asking the rep to see if it has to do with the structure of the complex or what service they provide to charge such absurd fee but couldn't get an explanation. Got the house about a month ago and didn't even actually move in yet - it was only the cleaning lady that came by and I'm paying $160 in total!

It makes sense if the service charge correlates with the actual usage (i.e. the more you use the more the service charge is).

Trying to get general consensus about this fixed charge before making a complaint with the NJ Board of Public Utilities.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2021, 02:20 PM
 
304 posts, read 161,031 times
Reputation: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by mononkeneo View Post
Yup - this is a monthly charge that gets added to your actual usage. I live in a townhouse complex (about 100 units) and spoke with our neighbor that she's also getting charged the same fixed amount every month. Not sure if it's the same for all regions in Scotch Plains. I tried asking the rep to see if it has to do with the structure of the complex or what service they provide to charge such absurd fee but couldn't get an explanation. Got the house about a month ago and didn't even actually move in yet - it was only the cleaning lady that came by and I'm paying $160 in total!

It makes sense if the service charge correlates with the actual usage (i.e. the more you use the more the service charge is).

Trying to get general consensus about this fixed charge before making a complaint with the NJ Board of Public Utilities.
Oh, something you should look into....I'm in Florham Park at the moment and we're renting in a townhouse complex. We were getting an extra fee from the water company because we hadn't setup an account and it was classed as some find of 'vacant service fee'. It was basically an admin fee because we hadn't gotten properly setup. Could it be something like that?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2021, 08:55 PM
 
4 posts, read 2,502 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by baycurious123 View Post
Oh, something you should look into....I'm in Florham Park at the moment and we're renting in a townhouse complex. We were getting an extra fee from the water company because we hadn't setup an account and it was classed as some find of 'vacant service fee'. It was basically an admin fee because we hadn't gotten properly setup. Could it be something like that?
I bought the house last month and I'm certain the account is properly setup - the definition of this fixed charge from the bill was "this fixed charge represents the cost of meter reading, customer billing, accounting and to maintain the meter and service connection to your property" - it's irrespective of how much water you use for a given month and it looks like everyone in this townhome complex gets charged this amount every month on top of their actual water usage.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2021, 08:13 AM
 
304 posts, read 161,031 times
Reputation: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by mononkeneo View Post
I bought the house last month and I'm certain the account is properly setup - the definition of this fixed charge from the bill was "this fixed charge represents the cost of meter reading, customer billing, accounting and to maintain the meter and service connection to your property" - it's irrespective of how much water you use for a given month and it looks like everyone in this townhome complex gets charged this amount every month on top of their actual water usage.
Wow, that's crazy. I'll have to add that to my budget spreadsheet. I was thinking it was going to be maybe $50 per month.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2021, 08:54 AM
 
4 posts, read 2,502 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by baycurious123 View Post
Wow, that's crazy. I'll have to add that to my budget spreadsheet. I was thinking it was going to be maybe $50 per month.
Hopefully wherever you're going is not this crazy expensive, good luck!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2021, 08:54 AM
 
18,008 posts, read 22,572,638 times
Reputation: 23716
Quote:
Originally Posted by baycurious123 View Post
Wow, that's crazy. I'll have to add that to my budget spreadsheet. I was thinking it was going to be maybe $50 per month.
I have to say that the fee encountered by the OP is not the norm. I live in Central NJ, and I just paid my water bill--to the tune of $62.59 for three months.

Obviously, the billed amount varies with one's water usage, but no service fees are added to our bills.
I suggest that you ask to be able to view recent water bills for any homes that you are considering for purchase.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top