Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2021, 05:12 AM

88,550 posts, read 84,738,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Because NJ neighborhoods are tucked away, especially the rich ones. They are off the beaten path, as are the horse trails. Unless you are part of that group you will probably almost never see a horse.
No, they aren't. I walk regularly at a county park in Colts Neck on 537, a main road running through Monmouth County. I pass a few horse farms and always see them.

Always saw horses in Bergen County when I lived there, too.

Old 07-25-2021, 05:22 AM

380 posts, read 607,561 times
I’m not sure I accept the premise that NJ horse country is not well known. As others have noted, plenty of olympians and celebs are there. Properties there are also certainly not priced in a manner that would indicate the area is some secret.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2021, 05:29 AM

88,550 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It used to be really common in South Jersey, until it all got developed. The AC expressway used to have a “no horses” sign, IDK it still might.
Still horses in that length of towns down here but not the elite ones on the rich farms of north Jersey. And you don’t see anyone ride on the road anymore.
They weren't all rich in Bergen County. My sister worked on a horse farm in Ridgewood and lived on the premises. The property went to developers after the owner died. Her daughter lived there, too. She was about 8 at the time, so say 35 years ago.

Same sister also kept her own horses at an Allendale farm. Went to developers, too. Allendale was once a sweet little country town, now an upscale, pricey place full of people who think their poo doesn't stink.

Franklin Lakes and Mahwah still have some horses, or did 10-15 years ago. Small farms.

My daughter took her riding lessons and worked at the stables in West Milford in Passaic County. That was when she was 11 - 14, and she is almost 30, so I think they are still there. I know there are public riding stables still in the area. And also in Sussex County. These are all just normal horse farms, not the thoroughbred farms you find in central and western NJ.

Old 08-06-2021, 06:01 AM

224 posts, read 164,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Nj is nothing but newark.

Lol. Like do people like not think?

Being in North Jersey my whole life, I feel like the state is just one big extension of New York City. Most of North and even lot of Central Jersey you get that feeling. Nothing but traffic and New Yorkers…. But the western part and southern parts are much better but who really knows much about that? My favorite areas would be Whippany/FlorhamPark/Morristown anything closer to New York it’s just getting too ridiculous. Just my opinion of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey