Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2008, 03:58 PM

2 posts, read 2,513 times

Advertisements

Moving from my parents home in an NYC outer borough to NJ for a job in Paterson. I do not have a car. Basically am looking for either a studio or a one bedroom to rent for myself for a max of $900/month, in an area where one can reasonably live without a car, and where I can get to Paterson relatively easily without a car. I am hoping to rely on the train line rather than a bus line, and would prefer a location that has access to both.

Now, I have been doing a bit of researching online, and it seems as though my best bet would be Jersey City. I can't afford the super expensive apartments in the ritzy downtown area - so I was thinking more along the lines of Journal Square (an area with which I'm somewhat acquainted). However, this is quite a small area to be looking for apartments. And perhaps there are other areas I can move to that would be as convenient for a single person with no car.

I've been to the area of Paterson where I would be working, and while I can afford the rents I can see I certainly don't want to live there. I'm coming from an urban area but as I'll living on my own I'd rather not go to too dangerous an area. Also I have the unfortunate limitation of not having (nor being able to afford) a car. Are there other areas where I ought to be looking?

(And don't say "do your research". This is part of my research. I'm hoping for a bit more advice, perspectives and information than I can get from a search engine).

Thanks in advance,
Darcy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 05:24 AM

1,972 posts, read 5,421,986 times
Try Clifton which has plenty of access to both Paterson & NYC via train, check out Ridgefield apts on Clifton Ave & Allwood Road for Apts.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:39 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,807,520 times
Default apts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07860 View Post
Try Clifton which has plenty of access to both Paterson & NYC via train, check out Ridgefield apts on Clifton Ave & Allwood Road for Apts.
that would be Richfield Village

Old 05-15-2008, 10:29 AM

2 posts, read 2,513 times
Thank you both. I couldn't tell from their website, but do you know if they are near NJ transit trains?

Old 05-15-2008, 10:40 AM

1,972 posts, read 5,421,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNJFem View Post
Thank you both. I couldn't tell from their website, but do you know if they are near NJ transit trains?
You have the park & ride on allwood road which is 5 mins walk from Ridgefield Village and there's the train station behind Paulison Ave, close to the Board of Ed building on clifton ave which I'd say is another 15 to 20 mins walking from Ridgefield Village.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey