U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2021, 12:23 PM

3,021 posts, read 1,283,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
IIRC, it's so small that it doesn't have any schools, and the local kids are bused to an adjoining town for schooling.
Manalapan is like that.

Depending on what side of the street you live on, you may be in a different school district than a school down the street.. (Marlboro, Englishtown.)

I just caught that Airborneguy says he lives off Rt 9 so.. Again, thinking Englishtown (I hate Englishtown) and I mean it can't be Freehold.. Idk, Rt9 goes for a fairly long ways, so.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2021, 01:47 PM

16,530 posts, read 11,697,902 times
I'm not sure if the confusion here is involving my posts or someone else's, but in case it is mine:

1. My town definitely has its own schools.

2. I am near Rt 9 in Middlesex County.

3. My town has WAY more than 3 streets.

My particular neighborhood is sandwiched between two major avenues that both intersect Rt9. Because of this, my block (which traverses the neighbor unlike other streets in the area), serves as a cut-through to avoid Rt 9 traffic and/or traffic on the two avenues I mentioned.

That's the issue. It's not meant to be a major street or even really a through street. But since you can use it as one, people do. And we are the collateral damage.

Someone else mentioned sidewalks. We don't have them. They're very intermittent here. Oddly enough, its the more interior streets that have them while my street does not.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 10-09-2021, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I'm not sure if the confusion here is involving my posts or someone else's, but in case it is mine:

1. My town definitely has its own schools.

2. I am near Rt 9 in Middlesex County.

3. My town has WAY more than 3 streets.

My particular neighborhood is sandwiched between two major avenues that both intersect Rt9. Because of this, my block (which traverses the neighbor unlike other streets in the area), serves as a cut-through to avoid Rt 9 traffic and/or traffic on the two avenues I mentioned.

That's the issue. It's not meant to be a major street or even really a through street. But since you can use it as one, people do. And we are the collateral damage.

Someone else mentioned sidewalks. We don't have them. They're very intermittent here. Oddly enough, its the more interior streets that have them while my street does not.
Thank you for the clarifications.

This almost sounds like somewhere like in Edison, starting to think that North of the Rt 9 bridge that is right next to the Parkway bridge starts Middlesex County from Monmouth County, as Edison is Middlesex.

So you feel speed bumps would help?

Is your street long enough for a light?

Are there many accidents?

Old 10-09-2021, 04:11 PM

I haven't seen an accident yet, but a neighbor told me that years ago a car went into my yard. Lights wouldn't be necessary as the cross traffic is minimal. The problem is just people turning off one major avenue, making a few turns in my neighborhood (passing my house) to cut through to the other major avenue. My block the "hidden" of the route with a straightaway, so they gun it like it's Nascar.

I'm going to start recording so that I have evidence. I found a few cameras that would work well for such a thing. Spoke to a few cops about parking on the edge of my property but they haven't done so yet from what I can tell.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 10-09-2021, 05:41 PM

17,529 posts, read 8,967,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I haven't seen an accident yet, but a neighbor told me that years ago a car went into my yard. Lights wouldn't be necessary as the cross traffic is minimal. The problem is just people turning off one major avenue, making a few turns in my neighborhood (passing my house) to cut through to the other major avenue. My block the "hidden" of the route with a straightaway, so they gun it like it's Nascar.

I'm going to start recording so that I have evidence. I found a few cameras that would work well for such a thing. Spoke to a few cops about parking on the edge of my property but they haven't done so yet from what I can tell.
Some people have complained about speed bumps but there are also "speed humps"... a larger but less violent drive with nothing in the middle of the road so an emergency vehicle can go through with no problem.

This does a better job then I do at explaining them.

Some speed humps

https://www.myparkingsign.com/blog/d...d-speed-bumps/

Old 10-09-2021, 06:07 PM

81,700 posts, read 75,224,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Your town has just three streets?
Yep.

Old 10-09-2021, 06:16 PM

81,700 posts, read 75,224,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrioticSuperman View Post
That sounds more like a Boro.

Kind of sort of like Guttenberg where you're at, Hudson County NJ HudsonCoNJ (that screen name always got me. I was born there.)
Nope, it is a township, a very old one that once encompassed much of Monmouth County. Parts broke off over the centuries, and this little piece was left that mostly held military housing for Fort Monmouth. That housing was converted to a privately-owned Coop years ago, and an apartment complex and a condo complex were eventually built there.

We have no schools, police, fire department, or post office of our own. Smallest town in area, not population, in New Jersey.

Old 10-09-2021, 07:07 PM

17,529 posts, read 8,967,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Nope, it is a township, a very old one that once encompassed much of Monmouth County. Parts broke off over the centuries, and this little piece was left that mostly held military housing for Fort Monmouth. That housing was converted to a privately-owned Coop years ago, and an apartment complex and a condo complex were eventually built there.

We have no schools, police, fire department, or post office of our own. Smallest town in area, not population, in New Jersey.
https://943thepoint.com/three-of-the...th-county/:ok:

Old 10-09-2021, 08:55 PM

I left my car in the street today. I may start doing that. None of my neighbors park in the street so we're wide open with no obstructions. I'm hoping that at least when two cars are passing in opposite directions, my car will provide enough of an obstruction to make them slow down.

Old 10-09-2021, 11:16 PM

Quote:
This is somewhat embarrassing, isn't it?
Sorry, we couldn't find what you were looking for, but please enjoy these articles from our site.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey