Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2021, 06:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,839 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am currently renting in Jersey City but I want to move to the suburbs and own a place. Below are the answers to the questions for recommendations.

Where are you coming from? Jersey City downtown
Why are you moving? Want to own rather than rent
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC? Midtown Manhattan

Will you buy or rent? Buy
What is your budget ? around $900k
What kind of place are you looking for ? single family home

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? Spouse
Do you need/want good public schools? Yes

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in Safe, young family oriented, good for professionals
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc)

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc) Schools, easy commute to nyc, family oriented, safety

Thank you so much for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2021, 08:22 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
You have a good budget, so lots of choices.

Let's talk about your commute to Midtown. Would you say it would be better to come into Penn (train) or the PABT (bus) to get to where you have to go? Different towns have better or worse commutes depending on mode of transportation. So is your workplace within walking distance of either of those facilities, or do you have to take a NYC subway regardless?

"Easy commute" sounds as if you need either an express bus or a train that is direct to NY Penn without transferring, for example, at Secaucus Junction, as you would have to do on the Bergen County Line (goes direct to Hoboken, so people who take that line and go to Midtown have to do the transfer).

What mode of transportation are you using for your commute now from Jersey City? (PATH to WTC, then subway, or PATH to 33rd St. line, for example, or bus, light rail, etc.)

Old 11-08-2021, 09:44 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,953,992 times
We lived along the waterfront in South Amboy for a few years while my wife worked in NYC. She took the train right in town and it was wonderful. The town itself is a little older but safe. The waterfront area is beautiful with newer homes and no worries about flood as it was untouched during sandy.

As an added bonus a HUGE apartment complex is going up in South Amboy right now and they may be finally adding the ferry to downtown Manhattan sooner rather than later. The location is awesome and there's tons to do in town. Plus, going grocery shopping and such was way easier there than when we lived in Hoboken.

Town has more of a beach vibe to be honest, and there is a public beach right there on the bay that is awesome.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...64614726_zpid/

Old 11-08-2021, 09:51 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedupwiththis View Post
We lived along the waterfront in South Amboy for a few years while my wife worked in NYC. She took the train right in town and it was wonderful. The town itself is a little older but safe. The waterfront area is beautiful with newer homes and no worries about flood as it was untouched during sandy.

As an added bonus a HUGE apartment complex is going up in South Amboy right now and they may be finally adding the ferry to downtown Manhattan sooner rather than later. The location is awesome and there's tons to do in town. Plus, going grocery shopping and such was way easier there than when we lived in Hoboken.

Town has more of a beach vibe to be honest, and there is a public beach right there on the bay that is awesome.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...64614726_zpid/
Nice idea. I worked with a couple who lived in South Amboy. They really liked it there.

Old 11-08-2021, 12:48 PM

2,170 posts, read 1,953,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Nice idea. I worked with a couple who lived in South Amboy. They really liked it there.
We moved further south in the state to buy a more affordable home and be closer to family but we really miss living in South Amboy. I would walk my kayak from my garage to the bay to go fishing. We were like 35 mins from Sandy Hook beach. Scortinos pizza was within walking distance which was my favorite after work place to unwind. Really was a cool place to live.

Old 11-22-2021, 06:33 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,788,582 times
Madison
New Providence
Summit

(PM me if you're looking to move around 4/1 and want to know of a house coming on market in late Jan, only if serious pls)

Old 11-23-2021, 08:11 AM

23,548 posts, read 17,219,108 times
CT or NY state. forget NJ

Old 11-23-2021, 10:00 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,658,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffybear View Post
Madison
New Providence
Summit

(PM me if you're looking to move around 4/1 and want to know of a house coming on market in late Jan, only if serious pls)
If you can afford Summit you can afford Millburn.

Old 11-23-2021, 12:27 PM

965 posts, read 723,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
CT or NY state. forget NJ
I mean, those are both fine places, but NY state is the only place that I'm aware of that actually has higher property taxes than NJ. At least the places in Westchester and Nassau that would be commutable to the city. CT has the lower taxes, but higher (and in some cases much higher) purchase prices and a longer commute. Although if price and commute were comparable across the board I'd pick CT too.

If you can stomach NJ Transit, than NJ is the most affordable option given the budget and commuting requirements while still providing some nice town options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey