U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 05:16 AM

8,079 posts, read 18,844,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueheaven22 View Post
Does anyone know what happened to Mark Masters - killed his mother-in-law in Plainfield in 1993 in hostage situation? He was sentenced to state prison and eligible for parole in 15 years, that would be July 2008.
He killed himself in prison IIRC
I'm sure he's dead, that much I remember.

He can rot in hell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 06:41 AM

6 posts, read 19,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
He killed himself in prison IIRC
I'm sure he's dead, that much I remember.

He can rot in hell.
Roselvr, looking back into some old news articles it looks like towards the end both Masters and the step-daughter tried to blame it on the wife. Is there any chance that is true?

Old 07-16-2008, 07:06 AM

I know I looked for stories about a year ago, looking now, these are the only 2 I can find:

Standoff, Gunman and a Mutilated Body 3/5/92

Plainfield Man In Standoff Held in Murder 3/6/92

I'm not sure if my dad mailed me the newspaper when he died or if I found it online. Possible I have everything packed up. Do you have a link to them trying to blame the wife?

Mark was a loaded gun, waiting to go off. I knew him back in the 80's, he was a piece of work then. When my dad told me about this, it didn't surprise me. I highly doubt anyone but Mark killed the mother, if you read the stories, he had a bunch of weapons in the house, plus he used to kill animals.

Did you know Mark?

Old 07-16-2008, 02:25 PM

I found an article to that effect in a Star-Ledger archive. That he tried to recant his confession 7 years later when he came up for parole. The judge denied it and shortly after that M.M. was found hung in his cell with bedsheets.

I went to high school with the wife, moved out of state and didn't hear from her for 40 years. Then got an email from her this past weekend. That's why I have been looking into it. No, I did not respond to her.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueheaven22 View Post
I found an article to that effect in a Star-Ledger archive. That he tried to recant his confession 7 years later when he came up for parole. The judge denied it and shortly after that M.M. was found hung in his cell with bedsheets.

I went to high school with the wife, moved out of state and didn't hear from her for 40 years. Then got an email from her this past weekend. That's why I have been looking into it. No, I did not respond to her.

Can you DM me the link to the article?
I didn't think he was in jail that long before he killed himself.

Weird about the email all of a sudden.

Mark was a con artist. He was sweet to everyone then got nasty. She probably had no clue what she was getting involved with.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:38 PM

[quote=Roselvr;4484392]Can you DM me the link to the article?

I don't have a link to the article because I had to sign on and pay for the article on the Star-Ledger archives. However I did save it with a copy and paste. Is there a way to PM on this board? I don't know what DM is.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:42 AM

[quote=blueheaven22;4484729]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Can you DM me the link to the article?

I don't have a link to the article because I had to sign on and pay for the article on the Star-Ledger archives. However I did save it with a copy and paste. Is there a way to PM on this board? I don't know what DM is.
I don't know why they call PM's DM's here, but I replied to yours.
Sorry it took me so long.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,829 times
Does anyone know what happened to Mark Masters - killed his mother-in-law in Plainfield in 1993 in hostage situation? He was sentenced to state prison and eligible for parole in 15 years, that would be July 2008. Yes, he died in prison. I don't remember what year. It was said he commited suicide, but I have my doubts. He kept in touch while in prison and never said anything that would indicate that he was suicidal. However, I suppose anything is possible when you've been pegged for murder. Too bad that psycho Minka Barany was never arrested for her mother's murder since she had a way of having people die in horrible ways around, her including her husband. She also found a new nutcase to shack up with shortly after Mark's imprisonment and oddly the house she rented out had a mysterious fire occur with a gasoline soaked rag in the basement, not to mention many other strange and potentially fatal happenings at 957 Central Avenue in Plainfield. I know because I was there.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,735 times
I remember this horrible story. I didn't know his wife but I remember him from high school. He threatened to kill me & a couple of my friends because we teased him at a party one night. He also threatened to kill a friend's father because he wouldn't hire Mark to mow his lawn and make some extra $$. He was literally a ticking time bomb. I don't think anyone misses him too much - he was really bad news. I feel bad for his family though - his mom & sisters were very nice people.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,238 times
He hung himself in jail shortly after arriving there (not 7 years). I used to work for his divorce attorney and he asked him to help him with the criminal case - after saying no - we got his written will/suicide note. His M-I-L had alzheimers and drove him absolutely crazy (or shall I say more crazy). He was a unique person, but definitely had some issues especially with anxiety. He never felt good about himself and the divorce from Minka certainly did not help matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey