Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 06:02 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,965,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
I live in Oklahoma now, which also has an image problem. When I was flying from NJ to OK, I met a man on the plane from CA. When I told hiim I was moving from NJ to OK, he said "I guess this will be the first time you'll see some cows and horses." Hello! -- no more than 3 miles from my house in central NJ there was an entire heard of cows, lots of farmland and, yes, horses! In fact, my daughter rode for 8 years in NJ.

I explained NJ was absolutely beautiful where I came from, and the only reason we were moving was the COL. I don't think I convinced him, though. Who cares? Now I'm defending OK to outsiders.
bingo, you're the first one to get it!

WHO CARES what others think? let them wallow in their ignorance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 07:27 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,788,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
bingo, you're the first one to get it!

WHO CARES what others think? let them wallow in their ignorance
We have a lot of Californians moving to OK (and trying to make it into CA -- ugh!), so we tend to emphasize our negatives on the OK forum (tornadoes, hot summers, bible belt, etc.) I really don't mind people moving from state to state (seems to be the American way), but don't go somewhere else because you think it's better than where you are, and then try to make it into where you came from. I love both NJ and OK. I love their differences, and want to keep it that way -- "different."

Old 05-24-2008, 07:58 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,965,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
We have a lot of Californians moving to OK (and trying to make it into CA -- ugh!), so we tend to emphasize our negatives on the OK forum (tornadoes, hot summers, bible belt, etc.) I really don't mind people moving from state to state (seems to be the American way), but don't go somewhere else because you think it's better than where you are, and then try to make it into where you came from. I love both NJ and OK. I love their differences, and want to keep it that way -- "different."
I know what you mean, one of the biggest problems in parts of NJ is the influx of new yorkers who want to remake NJ, did they forget why they fled NY?

Old 05-25-2008, 03:13 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,016,359 times
I guess it happens everywhere. I've heard many people from NJ belittle Pennsylvania and it's residents. Pennsylvania, for the most part, is also a very nice state.

At my college, I meet a couple of students from NY who came here to study and they had a completely different picture of NJ. They imagined the entire state was quiet, suburban/rural, and crime-free. They thought everyone in NJ lived in a large house. They didn't even consider places like Newark or Camden existed.

Old 05-25-2008, 03:36 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,040,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
At my college, I meet a couple of students from NY who came here to study and they had a completely different picture of NJ. They imagined the entire state was quiet, suburban/rural, and crime-free. They thought everyone in NJ lived in a large house. They didn't even consider places like Newark or Camden existed.
by any chance, are these guys from the inner city? because i've also met a few people who hailed from ny (specifically inner city areas of the outer boroughs or upper manhattan in nyc) who actually had a positive opinion of nj - their thoughts were in line with what you described. for them, having grown up in rough neighborhoods, they really appreciated the quiet and clean burbs of jersey. i was really surprised to hear this, bc the overwhelming majority of nyc residents - natives and transplants alike - don't have anything positive to say about the garden state.

i guess it's all relative.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:06 PM

16 posts, read 49,903 times
The birds are still nesting in my yard and I live in Ramsey! I have chipmonks, deer and a baby bunny currently living under my front porch. There are critters all over the place. Two weeks ago there was evan a bear that was seen walking down my street and I am only 20 miles northwest of New York City! New
Jersey really is so much more than flying into Newark can show people. It is an amazing State for it's natural beauty!

Old 05-27-2008, 03:14 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,016,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
by any chance, are these guys from the inner city? because i've also met a few people who hailed from ny (specifically inner city areas of the outer boroughs or upper manhattan in nyc) who actually had a positive opinion of nj - their thoughts were in line with what you described. for them, having grown up in rough neighborhoods, they really appreciated the quiet and clean burbs of jersey. i was really surprised to hear this, bc the overwhelming majority of nyc residents - natives and transplants alike - don't have anything positive to say about the garden state.

i guess it's all relative.
They were from Roosevelt Island, Jamaica-Queens, and the Lower East Side. The only bad thing they had to say about NJ was that it was too quiet for them, LOL. I also have relatives in the East Village and they also like NJ. Again, their only complaint is the quietness. They love true city life.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:47 PM

646 posts, read 2,668,147 times
You talk Springsteen you talk New Jersey,you talk diners you talk New Jersey,you talk Tony Saprano....you talk with the fishs and New Jersey.
You talk history you talk New Jersey Thomas Edison,Hindenburg(sp)....etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey