U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2008, 01:06 PM

7,913 posts, read 15,952,403 times

Advertisements

http://www.statebrandsindex.com/docs/SBI_2006.pdf (broken link)

We are number 50th in recognition, as in dead last.

I've argued this before in this forum: if we had a 'first class city', with name recognition, NJ would be much more highly recognizable abroad. The fact NJ is sandwiched in between NYC and Philly does not help its cause either.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 04:09 PM

931 posts, read 2,951,926 times
I find this list hard to believe. I think there are many other states that are more "hidden in the shadows" than New Jersey. Anyway, I prefer people to not know anything about New Jersey than for them to believe that the whole state looks like the industrial stretch by the turnpike (what many idiots in our own country believe).

Old 05-19-2008, 05:56 PM

8,086 posts, read 8,405,178 times
N. Dakota is ahead of Delaware?

Iowa is ahead of Illinois?

Missouri is #15?

Who put this list together? NJ Monthly Magazine?

Old 05-19-2008, 05:59 PM

7,577 posts, read 19,252,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
http://www.statebrandsindex.com/docs/SBI_2006.pdf (broken link)

We are number 50th in recognition, as in dead last.

I've argued this before in this forum: if we had a 'first class city', with name recognition, NJ would be much more highly recognizable abroad. The fact NJ is sandwiched in between NYC and Philly does not help its cause either.
I thought we had 51 States? I guess they just forgot to include Isreal : )

Old 05-19-2008, 06:29 PM
EB2

1,927 posts, read 5,117,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
I find this list hard to believe. I think there are many other states that are more "hidden in the shadows" than New Jersey. Anyway, I prefer people to not know anything about New Jersey than for them to believe that the whole state looks like the industrial stretch by the turnpike (what many idiots in our own country believe).
You know, I'm beginning to agree. My best friend's boyfriend constantly attacks NJ (such as the case almost a week ago; when my best friend and her boyfriend were driving down the turnpike, he sent me a message whining about how much NJ smelled, etc, etc.) I just told him "Neat." (of course, he was less than pleased to see that he didn't get a reaction out of me, ha )

Regardless. I've said it before, many times, and I'll say it again. I'm tired of people showing no respect for NJ - attacking it, etc....especially those who have never been there, or have only seen very limited amounts of the state (generally those in which the bad reps are formed). I'm a little more lenient for those that lived there and just didn't enjoy it. It happens. But otherwise...it's unexcusable.

So, I've come to the conclusion - let the naysayers be just that. I will still love New Jersey, and I will still defend it to the best of my ability. But at least those who have been born in the state, lived there, plan on moving there (like myself), etc. will know the truth about NJ, and how amazing it is. Places and things that the people that talk trash won't ever know about - like the shore, mountains, country, wonderful suburbs, the people, the food, etc. those can all be the little secrets for New Jerseyans to enjoy and love.

New Jersey isn't just a shadow in the faces of Philly/NYC to those that admire the state.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB2 View Post
You know, I'm beginning to agree. My best friend's boyfriend constantly attacks NJ (such as the case almost a week ago; when my best friend and her boyfriend were driving down the turnpike, he sent me a message whining about how much NJ smelled, etc, etc.) I just told him "Neat." (of course, he was less than pleased to see that he didn't get a reaction out of me, ha )

Regardless. I've said it before, many times, and I'll say it again. I'm tired of people showing no respect for NJ - attacking it, etc....especially those who have never been there, or have only seen very limited amounts of the state (generally those in which the bad reps are formed). I'm a little more lenient for those that lived there and just didn't enjoy it. It happens. But otherwise...it's unexcusable.

So, I've come to the conclusion - let the naysayers be just that. I will still love New Jersey, and I will still defend it to the best of my ability. But at least those who have been born in the state, lived there, plan on moving there (like myself), etc. will know the truth about NJ, and how amazing it is. Places and things that the people that talk trash won't ever know about - like the shore, mountains, country, wonderful suburbs, the people, the food, etc. those can all be the little secrets for New Jerseyans to enjoy and love.

New Jersey isn't just a shadow in the faces of Philly/NYC to those that admire the state.
The thing is.. most people fly into Newark and all they see are those huge oil tanks in bayonne, smelly elizabeth, the swamps in Rutherford (wave to Jimmy Hoffa), and best of all...Newark! No wonder they have us last with ****holes like that : )

Old 05-19-2008, 06:41 PM
EB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
The thing is.. most people fly into Newark and all they see are those huge oil tanks in bayonne, smelly elizabeth, the swamps in Rutherford (wave to Jimmy Hoffa), and best of all...Newark! No wonder they have us last with ****holes like that : )
LOL @ the Hoffa reference.

I understand that to a point....

but that's like me going to California (which I've never been to), going to Oakland and seeing only that, and assuming the rest of CA looks like a giant run down hole, where it's mandatory to tote 3 guns, and a knife.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:43 PM
EB2

And I do agree - Newark is rather nasty, but it does have some highlights (few, but there ARE some).

That doesn't mean the rest of the state is like that, though.

But, I'll just let people believe that. We can keep the nice areas to ourselves

Old 05-19-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB2 View Post
And I do agree - Newark is rather nasty, but it does have some highlights (few, but there ARE some).

That doesn't mean the rest of the state is like that, though.

But, I'll just let people believe that. We can keep the nice areas to ourselves
Hummm...good point : ) Yes, NJ is horrible folks..stay away..far away : ) Just yesterday, I finished mowing the lawn and when I turned around, there was a double rainbow over the horse farm across the street...what a view! I then took a nice stroll around the property and realized how fortunate I am to have a piece of this great State : )

Old 05-19-2008, 07:19 PM
EB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Hummm...good point : ) Yes, NJ is horrible folks..stay away..far away : ) Just yesterday, I finished mowing the lawn and when I turned around, there was a double rainbow over the horse farm across the street...what a view! I then took a nice stroll around the property and realized how fortunate I am to have a piece of this great State : )
How wonderful, that sounds lovely!

Are the birds still nesting in your yard?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey