Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2022, 07:31 PM

968 posts, read 1,139,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
IDK. If I lived in Levittown, PA, I probably wouldn't talk smack about Colts Neck, NJ. It's pretty much in a whole other league than Levittown. Fresh air? Do you seriously think Fairless Hills or Bristol has cleaner air than Colts Neck, with its spread out homes and horse farms? How about Tullytown, with its massive dump?

Show any two people on this earth a home in Levittown and a home in Colts Neck and 99/100 people would choose Colts Neck. I guess you'd be the lone outlier.

I assure you schools in Colts Neck are better than schools in Bristol, PA which is the dumpiest place in Bucks County. Lets compare scenic Route 34 with horse farms and farm markets (Delicious Orchards, anyone) and Route 13 with all its garish used car lots and strip clubs...
There's enough polluted air in Colts Neck from vehicles stuck in traffic that consistantly choke all those narrow roads. Nah that's a stretch.

If you're familiar enough with Bucks County then you should know that unlike NJ, Levittown is in fact not an incorporated municipality, but a zip code tabulation area that is spread across portions of three different townships. There's Bristol Township, Middletown Township where I live and then Falls Township where I used to live. Dig through my old posts. When we went house hunting last year, I was adamant against buying in any of the sections in Bristol Twp because the schools are not good and the home values in those sections reflect that. Neshaminy Schools (serving Middletown Twp) and Pennsbury Schools (Falls Twp) are much better. I'm pretty sure Neshaminy High - the high school that my section of Levittown feeds into - has substantially over 60% of its graduates on average attending college. Night and day from Bristol. I don't know about you, but I'd much rather have my son in a school where the vast majority of the student body is trying to decide WHERE they will go to college rather than IF they will go to college, and I think most people will agree. Pennsbury and Neshaminy Schools are at least on par with any middle to upper middle income school district in NJ, maybe even better.

Bristol is not the dumpiest place in Bucks County. Morrisville is. Have you seen the waterfront there lately? Sure 13 is ugly and there's some nasty looking blocks between there and the waterfront, but the waterfont area has plenty of fine dining and quaint little shops and I have become very impressed with what they did there with the waterfront adding boat docks and such. It's still the armpit of Lower Bucks County, hence why I wouldn't even consider making an investment there, but if someone in Monmouth County is seriously going to scoff at Bristol that just shows the territoriality of the place, since it is often the same person saying places like Keansburg, Asbury Park and Long Branch are so great. Rt 36 through the Keansburg area is pretty damn ugly too and full of strip clubs. And I just saw an article last week that for all the beach gentrification, Asbury Park still has the second highest crime rate in NJ behind Camden. Any place with Beirut in it really shouldn't be talking smack about anything then. Not even North or West Philly looks that bad.

As for horses and farms, that's a short drive away up by Yardley/Washington Crossing. Rt. 32 along the river is a beautiful scenic drive, prettier than anything in that area. Colts Neck particularly always came off as boring and dull to me.

I never said my neighborhood was the best of anything. I did careful research to make sure we were in a good area that serves us well personally. I think most of Monmouth County, NJ is inflated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2022, 06:50 AM

443 posts, read 316,053 times
We seriously comparing Bristol, PA to Asbury and Long Branch? The latter are much more desirable.

Old 05-04-2022, 11:21 AM

5,128 posts, read 3,745,151 times
Yeah that's one thing I hated about the Colts Neck area. So much traffic almost as bad as 495 heading into the Lincoln Tunnel during rush. What are you smoking?

Old 05-04-2022, 02:11 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
Yeah that's one thing I hated about the Colts Neck area. So much traffic almost as bad as 495 heading into the Lincoln Tunnel during rush. What are you smoking?
LOL And polluted air?!?!

Old 05-04-2022, 02:17 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,821,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoNJtoPA View Post
There's enough polluted air in Colts Neck from vehicles stuck in traffic that consistantly choke all those narrow roads. Nah that's a stretch.

??

Traffic in Colts Neck? Not really. Maybe on 520 and 34 on summer weekends with people heading to the beach. That section of Route 18 doesn't really have traffic except on the most high peak summer weekends, and even then its not that bad. Not really sure what you mean here. GSP doesn't pass thru the town either.

If you're familiar enough with Bucks County then you should know that unlike NJ, Levittown is in fact not an incorporated municipality, but a zip code tabulation area that is spread across portions of three different townships. There's Bristol Township, Middletown Township where I live and then Falls Township where I used to live. Dig through my old posts. When we went house hunting last year, I was adamant against buying in any of the sections in Bristol Twp because the schools are not good and the home values in those sections reflect that. Neshaminy Schools (serving Middletown Twp) and Pennsbury Schools (Falls Twp) are much better. I'm pretty sure Neshaminy High - the high school that my section of Levittown feeds into - has substantially over 60% of its graduates on average attending college. Night and day from Bristol. I don't know about you, but I'd much rather have my son in a school where the vast majority of the student body is trying to decide WHERE they will go to college rather than IF they will go to college, and I think most people will agree. Pennsbury and Neshaminy Schools are at least on par with any middle to upper middle income school district in NJ, maybe even better.

You moved to Middletown which is probably the best of the the three townships but that's not saying much. No way on God's green earth are any of those schools graduating more kids or better scholastically in any way than Colts Neck / Marlboro schools. Now, I would say if you prefer your kids to be more humble, more down-to-earth, perhaps nicer, less snobby, you might have a point.

Bristol is not the dumpiest place in Bucks County. Morrisville is. Have you seen the waterfront there lately? Sure 13 is ugly and there's some nasty looking blocks between there and the waterfront, but the waterfont area has plenty of fine dining and quaint little shops and I have become very impressed with what they did there with the waterfront adding boat docks and such. It's still the armpit of Lower Bucks County, hence why I wouldn't even consider making an investment there, but if someone in Monmouth County is seriously going to scoff at Bristol that just shows the territoriality of the place, since it is often the same person saying places like Keansburg, Asbury Park and Long Branch are so great. Rt 36 through the Keansburg area is pretty damn ugly too and full of strip clubs. And I just saw an article last week that for all the beach gentrification, Asbury Park still has the second highest crime rate in NJ behind Camden. Any place with Beirut in it really shouldn't be talking smack about anything then. Not even North or West Philly looks that bad.

Bristol is dumpier than Morrisville. Morrisville is next to Yardley and gets that spillover. Is Morrisville nice? Not really, its kinda a dump too. But Bristol, Croydon, and most of Bensalem are the worst parts of Bucks County.

Don't take my word for it, this company does marketing based on zip code, and Colts Neck is among the wealthiest of market segments, with the largest segment of people making $500k or more, and Levittown has the largest market segment at $50-75k. That's a tenfold difference, so it really can't be any starker. https://claritas360.claritas.com/myb...nts/#zipLookup

You must not have been in Asbury Park or Long Branch lately , both are nearly untouchable by all but the wealthiest people now. Truly, I don't think you've been to Monmouth County in decades. Keansburg is still pretty dumpy, so I'll give you that. Its also like 1 square mile of Monmouth County, to be fair.

As for horses and farms, that's a short drive away up by Yardley/Washington Crossing. Rt. 32 along the river is a beautiful scenic drive, prettier than anything in that area. Colts Neck particularly always came off as boring and dull to me. Its hillier and more dramatic, for sure. Colts Neck is pretty flat. Both have scenic areas though.

I never said my neighborhood was the best of anything. I did careful research to make sure we were in a good area that serves us well personally. I think most of Monmouth County, NJ is inflated.
My responses in blue. Monmouth is too expensive for many people. I think if you said that from the beginning, I'd agree.

Old 05-04-2022, 06:52 PM

968 posts, read 1,139,456 times
Quote:
Traffic in Colts Neck? Not really. Maybe on 520 and 34 on summer weekends with people heading to the beach. That section of Route 18 doesn't really have traffic except on the most high peak summer weekends, and even then its not that bad. Not really sure what you mean here. GSP doesn't pass thru the town either.
Traffic choked country roads where it takes three light changes on average to get through an intersection. If it's so wealthy and/or expensive, why aren't taxes put into play to improve these issues and widen the roads?

Quote:
You moved to Middletown which is probably the best of the the three townships but that's not saying much. No way on God's green earth are any of those schools graduating more kids or better scholastically in any way than Colts Neck / Marlboro schools. Now, I would say if you prefer your kids to be more humble, more down-to-earth, perhaps nicer, less snobby, you might have a point.
Greatschools has Neshaminy and Pennsbury HS both as 8 on the scale of 1 to 10. Colts Neck is 6. Sure people here are less snobby. Not only are people in Monmouth County snobby, but their snobbery is unmerited.

Quote:
Bristol is dumpier than Morrisville. Morrisville is next to Yardley and gets that spillover. Is Morrisville nice? Not really, its kinda a dump too. But Bristol, Croydon, and most of Bensalem are the worst parts of Bucks County.

Don't take my word for it, this company does marketing based on zip code, and Colts Neck is among the wealthiest of market segments, with the largest segment of people making $500k or more, and Levittown has the largest market segment at $50-75k. That's a tenfold difference, so it really can't be any starker. https://claritas360.claritas.com/myb...nts/#zipLookup
Morrisville is dumpier, and more dangerous. It suffers badly from Trenton spillover and there is no redevelopment plan there like there is in Bristol. You forgot this is the area I live in, so I get it, I know it, I live it.

The whole market is nuts these days. How is Colts Neck so inflated now after being underwater since the 2008 crash?

Quote:
You must not have been in Asbury Park or Long Branch lately , both are nearly untouchable by all but the wealthiest people now. Truly, I don't think you've been to Monmouth County in decades. Keansburg is still pretty dumpy, so I'll give you that. Its also like 1 square mile of Monmouth County, to be fair.
I was last in Long Branch 2 years ago. It was a dirty neighborhood, inland, of mostly minorities and one white woman came into the bodega I was auditing. She reeked of urine. The pier village looks nice but the clientele looked like white trash typical of that area. And if Asbury Park is untouchable by anyone but the wealthy, why does its crime rate remain stubbornly high?

It's all another bubble now because the market is crazy, and like always the local media and propoganda there is trying to milk that as much as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NjDevils3027 View Post
We seriously comparing Bristol, PA to Asbury and Long Branch? The latter are much more desirable.
And Union City is one of the ugliest places I've ever been.

You people are all so delusional. Really makes me wonder if the area is one big secret cult.

Old 05-04-2022, 07:22 PM

5,128 posts, read 3,745,151 times
Make sure you stay away on Halloween. You might not make it back home. Boil boil toil and trouble.

Old 05-05-2022, 06:28 AM

I think his feelings are hurt, guys. Dude is flailing on here trying to justify a move to Levittown, PA. If you like where you live, don't let other people bring you down.

Old 05-05-2022, 10:30 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,821,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoNJtoPA View Post
Traffic choked country roads where it takes three light changes on average to get through an intersection. If it's so wealthy and/or expensive, why aren't taxes put into play to improve these issues and widen the roads?

Greatschools has Neshaminy and Pennsbury HS both as 8 on the scale of 1 to 10. Colts Neck is 6. Sure people here are less snobby. Not only are people in Monmouth County snobby, but their snobbery is unmerited.

Morrisville is dumpier, and more dangerous. It suffers badly from Trenton spillover and there is no redevelopment plan there like there is in Bristol. You forgot this is the area I live in, so I get it, I know it, I live it.

The whole market is nuts these days. How is Colts Neck so inflated now after being underwater since the 2008 crash?

I was last in Long Branch 2 years ago. It was a dirty neighborhood, inland, of mostly minorities and one white woman came into the bodega I was auditing. She reeked of urine. The pier village looks nice but the clientele looked like white trash typical of that area. And if Asbury Park is untouchable by anyone but the wealthy, why does its crime rate remain stubbornly high?

It's all another bubble now because the market is crazy, and like always the local media and propoganda there is trying to milk that as much as possible.

And Union City is one of the ugliest places I've ever been.

You people are all so delusional. Really makes me wonder if the area is one big secret cult.
Well, I don't live in the area, so I have no horse in this race. Coastal Long Branch is nicer than inland and being completely built out with high end condos. Inland, its not as nice. Perhaps you can find a small 1/4 acre beat-up house under $500k but I doubt it. Even where the crime is bad, prices are high. But prices are sky-high and untouchable for most in the lower crime areas too. They're not making any more oceanfront real estate so this is probably why.

Same holds true for Asbury Park and even Jersey City for that matter. JC is high crime, but try buying something there that is not in the Greenville section. Its bonkers. I'm with you, I can't even think of living in these areas like Union City or Jersey City. Its not for me.

I'm in full agreement that Middletown Twp, PA is a decent area. Its reasonably affordable in this market and some of those Levittown streets are nice, safe, and perfectly livable. However, it really can't be argued that its on the same level as Colts Neck, whether you like Colts Neck or not. Just saying, and I'll conclude with that. The market sets the price and most people are ok paying $1 million + to live there.

As for traffic and air pollution, its impossible to argue without boring particulate data or traffic studies which is so boring I won't bother. Everyone sees things different. I don't think of Colts Neck as a super trafficky area (compared to other NJ areas especially) but YMMV.

Abraham Levitt built Levittown by developing every square yard of that area, with some small parks of course, but its pretty well developed and high density. Colts Neck has minimum 2.5 acre zoning, so just by its very nature there will be more trees and open space. But whatever you want to believe is fine with me.

Old 05-05-2022, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Well, I don't live in the area, so I have no horse in this race. Coastal Long Branch is nicer than inland and being completely built out with high end condos. Inland, its not as nice. Perhaps you can find a small 1/4 acre beat-up house under $500k but I doubt it. Even where the crime is bad, prices are high. But prices are sky-high and untouchable for most in the lower crime areas too. They're not making any more oceanfront real estate so this is probably why.

Same holds true for Asbury Park and even Jersey City for that matter. JC is high crime, but try buying something there that is not in the Greenville section. Its bonkers. I'm with you, I can't even think of living in these areas like Union City or Jersey City. Its not for me.

I'm in full agreement that Middletown Twp, PA is a decent area. Its reasonably affordable in this market and some of those Levittown streets are nice, safe, and perfectly livable. However, it really can't be argued that its on the same level as Colts Neck, whether you like Colts Neck or not. Just saying, and I'll conclude with that. The market sets the price and most people are ok paying $1 million + to live there.

As for traffic and air pollution, its impossible to argue without boring particulate data or traffic studies which is so boring I won't bother. Everyone sees things different. I don't think of Colts Neck as a super trafficky area (compared to other NJ areas especially) but YMMV.

Abraham Levitt built Levittown by developing every square yard of that area, with some small parks of course, but its pretty well developed and high density. Colts Neck has minimum 2.5 acre zoning, so just by its very nature there will be more trees and open space. But whatever you want to believe is fine with me.
This doesn't need to turn into a you-know-what measuring contest, but look up violent & property crime rates in Union City NJ and Levittown PA. Middletown too for that matter. They are similar. It's different strokes for different folks. To live where I do, you really need to put up with some of the inconveniences that uber high density brings. Tight streets, localized traffic, more noise in general (people and cars), circling for street parking and etc. On the flip side, I bought my own 3-bedroom with mid-town views and a garage, 25 minute walk to uptown Hoboken, 20 min bus into NYC, and all the conveniences that such density brings (great food and nightlife options, walkability, 5 supermarkets within a mile and a half radius, easy commute to major sporting events and concert venues) in a neighborhood that I think has potential and not near its peak (south of 21st street and east of Summit Ave). If I had a family and was in my 40's, I wouldn't live here right now. Just me and my fiancé? Different story. Can put up with some of those aforementioned cons for the pros.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey