Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 02:51 PM

16,061 posts, read 26,668,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoSo View Post
I've also been looking into moving to Maplewood and have noticed that property values and home prices are quite a bit lower on the other side of Springfield Ave, near the Tuscan/University Heights area. Is south of Springfield Ave considered Maple"hood"? Is that area not as nice?
This is the area considered more Maple "hood". I know several families that live there and absolutely love it. The houses are less expensive and taxes are lower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 06:42 PM

6 posts, read 21,428 times
you do not want to move to maplewood because of its proximity to irvington. move to glenridge --- folks RARELY move out of this town because the schools are good, there is no crime (sounds unreal but you can call the info. desk at the police department to confirm) and people are really nice.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:32 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,004,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenmendoza View Post
you do not want to move to maplewood because of its proximity to irvington. move to glenridge --- folks RARELY move out of this town because the schools are good, there is no crime (sounds unreal but you can call the info. desk at the police department to confirm) and people are really nice.
I've heard that people move out of Glen Ridge as soon as the youngest child graduates from Glen Ridge High, since the taxes are so high there.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:15 AM

98 posts, read 290,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
I've heard that people move out of Glen Ridge as soon as the youngest child graduates from Glen Ridge High, since the taxes are so high there.
They are just as high in Maplewood (same rate.) Proximity to Irvington is a bit troubling, but Maplewood does have an amazing sense of community and I really liked what I saw at Tuscan.

We're here now and talking with our realtors regarding both Maplewood and Glen Ridge - hopefully we'll know before we return home in a couple days.

Thanks everyone.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:23 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,510,805 times
Good luck! I grew up in Essex Fells which is similar to Glen Ridge in a lot of ways. As an adult and parent, Maplewood's character and sense of community was more my speed. Both towns are great and you can't go wrong with either.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:48 PM

6 posts, read 15,880 times
Default Great Home in Hasbrouck Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetobe View Post
o.k......we were pretty settled on Glen Ridge, but there is a house in Maplewood - Tuscan area, that we really like. Walking distance to train, school. It's also a convenient commute to Harrison path. Next week I will be visiting the schools in Glen Ridge & Maplewood and doing a final house search.

But, if we were to settle in Maplewood - anything we should know, warnings, praises, or otherwise? I understand that Maplewood borders some "rough" areas. Any comments on this dynamic? What about the schools - specifically Tuscan Elementary? I'm a FT Mom looking for a great PTA.

All feedback welcome. Thanks everyone!!

Hi, I read your posts. I would like to recommend you a particular home which will be going on the market soon within the next week in Hasbrouck Heights. I’ll provide you with some community info. It’s has a nice small town feel, great for raising a family. Great schools, I went through the school system myself. The elementary received Governor’s Award of Excellence. Low crime, people take pride in their homes. Transportation to NYC is half a block away, high/middle school is one block away, elementary school is walking distance, town hall, library, and downtown are half a block away. The home is on one of the town’s most beautiful and prestigious tree-lined street. The home is completely renovated and in move-in condition. The oversized lot has a great sized private backyard and an attached garage.All renovations are complete. The home has large rooms. 3 beds, 1.5 baths, finished basement, great for raising a family, and there are kids on the block. The taxes are low!! The price is in the mid-500s. If you would like to take an exclusive look at it before it goes on the market, please call my agent, Christine Parente, and tell her you want to see Maria’s house on Madison Avenue in Hasbrouck heights before it goes on the market. Christine’s number is 551-265-2155.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:30 AM

2 posts, read 16,366 times
Default Maplewood, NJ opinion

re: Maplewood, NJ, read this article from NY Times BEFORE you move there:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/02/ny...02library.html

Old 04-19-2009, 08:34 AM

2 posts, read 16,366 times
Default Before you move to Maplewood, NJ.

Here are some facts about Maplewood, NJ:

http://www.city-data.com/city/Maplewood-New-Jersey.html

Old 04-19-2009, 10:47 AM

587 posts, read 2,173,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdheimer View Post
Here are some facts about Maplewood, NJ:

http://www.city-data.com/city/Maplewood-New-Jersey.html
That's terrible. Maplewood tax payers should be angered by this, its not like the tax payers will get credit towards thier taxes if the library closes and to boot Maplewood taxes are insane. As taxpayers thier children should be allowed to utilized the library. After all a "public" library should be open to the public.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:53 AM

98 posts, read 290,299 times
It's an unfortunate situation. I have not followed the details of this issue, but I don't expect the library to have to put up with the kind of behavior they reference here and have a right to exclude kids that can't behave appropriately.

But....I must say, we now live in Maplewood and I love it. Great town, great people. Yes, the taxes are outrageous, but based on my research and extensive househunting, this was the best value for us, based on our priorities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey