Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 11:10 AM

1,577 posts, read 5,687,834 times

Advertisements

I almost moved to Maplewood when i was house hunting. Not like there was nithung wrong with the town, actually it was beter overall, but because Teaneck had a better location for our jobs, Wife works in Uptown NYC and Teaneck was practically the foot of the GWB, and other reasons.
In all reality though, I feel Maplewood had the a really quaint touch to it. The town is diverse the high school is actually pretty good, 3 out of 5 stars, (not as good as Glen Ridge HS though), but all in all, you can do more in Maplewood than what you can do in Glen Ridge.

IMO I'd pick Maplewood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 09:28 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,525,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetobe View Post
It's an unfortunate situation. I have not followed the details of this issue, but I don't expect the library to have to put up with the kind of behavior they reference here and have a right to exclude kids that can't behave appropriately.

But....I must say, we now live in Maplewood and I love it. Great town, great people. Yes, the taxes are outrageous, but based on my research and extensive househunting, this was the best value for us, based on our priorities.
Glad to hear you settled in Maplewood. It is a wonderful place and I really miss it! I am jealous!

Old 07-29-2009, 09:03 AM

28 posts, read 143,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
The taxes alone eliminate all the possibilities in Essex County, LOL.

Taxes in Essex are horrendous (even by NJ standards) and living there is not worth it if your middle class. There are so many other towns in NJ with better schools and cheaper taxes.
But are these towns within a 30-40min. commute from the city? That's what we're looking for. If so, do tell!

Old 12-06-2009, 10:40 AM

2 posts, read 3,376 times
Maplewood will not be your friend and they in control politically and administratively will pick your pockets and violate your rights and spend your money like it was theirs. Pay to play lives here in an advanced stage and the only interest the politicians have is their own property and business taxes and advantages, the town is in a state of active deterioration and codes and laws are being ignored to benefit realators so their NYer buyers are not deterred. warning do not buy here by what you see as that will soon be changed to look more like Brooklyn. Check out why the developers have been given tours and what new businesses are demanding changes to move into town and the accomodations they are getting. May look good now but that will change soon.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:15 AM

44 posts, read 124,486 times
Quote:
o.k......we were pretty settled on Glen Ridge,
So taxes aren't an issue?

Quote:
but there is a house in Maplewood - Tuscan area, that we really like.
But, if we were to settle in Maplewood - anything we should know, warnings, praises, or otherwise? I understand that Maplewood borders some "rough" areas. Any comments on this dynamic?
My concerns and what turns me off about Maplewood is the "political" leaning or slant of the community (HS too). I guess "different strokes for different folks" and "each to his own".

Personally if I were you I'd look at Chatham and Madison in Morris County.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:25 AM

46 posts, read 49,168 times
I am not a big fan simply because of the surrounding towns near Maplewood. I think it is one of those "guilt by association" scenarios. So, your re-sale value may suffer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey