Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2009, 03:39 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,366,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Hummm...ya think? Oil company drivers are blowing them out - especially ones install inside a dwelling. The max. psi on a roth is about 75 lbs... most delivery trucks put out 3 times that psi. If the Roth is installed in the basement and the driver is not told that it is a Roth.... big mess! We started labelling the fill and vent pipes with a sharpie...
I think the Granby poly. coated or double bottom poly. coated tank is a much better option! It even has a better warrantee!

[SIZE=3]Residential oil tank manufacturer, steel storage tank, Granby tanks[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]ROTH International-Roth Industries-Roth Global Plastics-[/SIZE]

The roth is what was offered to me in 2005, Or the old fashioned one. Petro, who I had my contract with did the installation. it was installed by an oil contracter, so I would think they would know how to fill it. It is outside, on the side of the garage. It's steel, not Plastic.

Diane G
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 06:09 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,606,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
The roth is what was offered to me in 2005, Or the old fashioned one. Petro, who I had my contract with did the installation. it was installed by an oil contracter, so I would think they would know how to fill it. It is outside, on the side of the garage. It's steel, not Plastic.

Diane G
Outside Roths are ok... especially if it's a two line system or if they install a Tigerloop. They tend to lose their prime to the furnace when they only install a single oil line without a Tigerloop. The exterior of the Roth is a thin stainless steel but the inside of the tank is, in layman's terms, "plastic". One positive, the Roth Tanks are cheaper now than the regular steel tanks. The price of steel is thru the roof! Insurance companies like to see Roth Tanks just because of the double containment and warrantee. The old fashion tanks are the ones that tend to corrode... typically on the bottom and usually when they are installed outside. Leaves, snow, etc. accumulating underneath the tank is usually the culprit.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:36 AM

3 posts, read 12,631 times
Default Samples are not required in NC

I agree that foam should be a last resort. But sometimes it is too costly to assess and remediate leakage from a UST. Sometimes it is better to let "sleeping dogs lie." In NC, sampling is not required, but is recommended. The problem with sampling is that it may discover leakage, and then you'd be required to remove the tank, or at least spend thousands of dollars to assess the extent of contamination, and that doesn't even get it cleaned up. Often, the leakage is less than a concern for a home buyer or owner than the damage that could result from removing the tank, especially if the tank is beneath the house or next to a basement wall, for instance. Of course, it is always best to remove the tank whenever possible, but sampling is not required for in-place abandonment. And if no leakage has occurred, then two samples, one at each end of the tank, should be adequate, unless it is a 1,000 gallon tank. And the soil samples should be collected from the native soils 1 to 2 feet beneath the tank bottom, not of the backfill surrounding the tank. I am a NC-licensed geologist specializing in the removal of residential USTs. I have 21 years of experience in UST removal. I hope that this info will help - Sensible Solutions Environmental is a good place to get answers. Good luck.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:48 PM

75 posts, read 466,090 times
[SIZE=3]I am shocked by the recommendations and advice given by “Sensible Solutions”. “Avoid doing sampling because it may discover contamination from a leaking tank”. Maybe in North Carolina that is an acceptable way of hiding contamination but that is not acceptable in New Jersey or any of the north Eastern and mid Atlantic states. Foam should be used when the removal of a tank will cause extensive damage due to its proximity to the house or other structures. Some times people have the tank foam filled to protect a new driveway or landscaping. In those cases soil samples are always taken by reputable companies before the tank is foamed and all will not proceed unless the samples are free of petroleum contamination. It is irresponsible to tell people not to do soil sampling because companies like my company are hired to access the soil around the tank when a new potential buyer is interested in the house. If contamination is found, this can be very costly to the owner of the property. You may save money upfront by hiring a company like Simple Solutions but the exposure you will have will not be simple. When someone calls our company and wants to know what inspections to do about a tank that was foamed we advise the following: [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=3]Verify the proper township records are available stating what was done.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=3]Obtain a copy of the soil sample results.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=3]If soil sample reports are not available and there is access to the area around the tank have soil samples taken.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=3]If the tank was under the house or other structures ask for a copy of the tank tightness test showing that the tank passed.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=3]If a passing tank test report is not available I would have a company like my company come to the house and take soil borings in the general area of the tank that is accessible. These borings should only be fielded screened using a PID to determine if there is contamination. Laboratory analysis should not be required if samples are clean. Also the survey will check for evidence of contamination on the property.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]You also state that 1 or 2 samples are acceptable for a 550 gallon tank or smaller the requirements and good practices are to take 4 samples one from each side. There have been numerous times that the contamination is evident on only one side of the tank and if you obtained only 1 or 2 samples the contamination would be missed. [/SIZE]

Old 04-29-2009, 02:49 PM

Default Underground tanks that are foamed in place

[SIZE=3]I am shocked by the recommendations and advice given by “Sensible Solutionsâ€. “Avoid doing sampling because it may discover contamination from a leaking tankâ€. Maybe in North Carolina that is an acceptable way of hiding contamination but that is not acceptable in New Jersey or any of the north Eastern and mid Atlantic states. Foam should be used when the removal of a tank will cause extensive damage due to its proximity to the house or other structures. Some times people have the tank foam filled to protect a new driveway or landscaping. In those cases soil samples are always taken by reputable companies before the tank is foamed and all will not proceed unless the samples are free of petroleum contamination. It is irresponsible to tell people not to do soil sampling because companies like my company are hired to access the soil around the tank when a new potential buyer is interested in the house. If contamination is found, this can be very costly to the owner of the property. You may save money upfront by hiring a company like Simple Solutions but the exposure you will have will not be simple. When someone calls our company and wants to know what inspections to do about a tank that was foamed we advise the following: [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=3]Verify the proper township records are available stating what was done.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=3]Obtain a copy of the soil sample results.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=3]If soil sample reports are not available and there is access to the area around the tank have soil samples taken.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=3]If the tank was under the house or other structures ask for a copy of the tank tightness test showing that the tank passed.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=3]If a passing tank test report is not available I would have a company like my company come to the house and take soil borings in the general area of the tank that is accessible. These borings should only be fielded screened using a PID to determine if there is contamination. Laboratory analysis should not be required if samples are clean. Also the survey will check for evidence of contamination on the property.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]You also state that 1 or 2 samples are acceptable for a 550 gallon tank or smaller the requirements and good practices are to take 4 samples one from each side. There have been numerous times that the contamination is evident on only one side of the tank and if you obtained only 1 or 2 samples the contamination would be missed. [/SIZE]

Old 04-30-2009, 02:56 PM

1,552 posts, read 4,633,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologistguy View Post
Sometimes it is better to let "sleeping dogs lie." ... The problem with sampling is that it may discover leakage, and then you'd be required to remove the tank, or at least spend thousands of dollars to assess the extent of contamination, and that doesn't even get it cleaned up. Often, the leakage is less than a concern for a home buyer or owner than the damage that could result from removing the tank, especially if the tank is beneath the house or next to a basement wall, for instance.
Well any sane buyer should want to know if there is contaminated soil before going through with the home purchase!

Also, if the tank was found to be beneath the house itself, that should be a dealbreaker for anyone. What a nightmare that would be!

Old 06-23-2009, 09:35 PM

6 posts, read 30,024 times
Default Acceptable limits?

I belong to a church and we have an old 100+ year old house on the property. We want to convert to gas but are afraid of what the oil tank removal process might uncover. We did a soil test and the lab report says that our DRO exceeds the acceptable limits for an active tank.

Does anyone know what the limit is? We just want to get an idea of how contaminated our soil may be. We don't want to get into something we can't afford to accomplish if there is a very expensive clean up involved.

Any suggestions are comments would be greatly appreciated!

Old 06-24-2009, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwboi View Post
I belong to a church and we have an old 100+ year old house on the property. We want to convert to gas but are afraid of what the oil tank removal process might uncover. We did a soil test and the lab report says that our DRO exceeds the acceptable limits for an active tank.

Does anyone know what the limit is? We just want to get an idea of how contaminated our soil may be. We don't want to get into something we can't afford to accomplish if there is a very expensive clean up involved.

Any suggestions are comments would be greatly appreciated!
If the DROs are over cleanup standard, the testing company is required by law to have reported the suspected release. My suggestion, file for grant monies through the NJDEP / NJEDA for the tank removal costs as well as the cleanup costs. You can call the following number and have them send you the application forms or go to their website and download the forms.

NJDEP Site Remediation Program - Restoring NJ's Natural and Urban Resources
[SIZE=3][SIZE=3][LEFT]Bureau of Contract &[/LEFT]
Fund Management, NJDEP, at (609) 777-0101.
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

Old 06-24-2009, 07:52 AM

[SIZE=3]You will not be able to accurately determine the extent of contamination because samples would have to be taken from below the bottom of the tank. Although you have a laboratory analysis stating there are high DRO readings if the tank is under a driveway the DRO readings may not be from the heating oil tank. Companies like ATS avoid this by doing a further analysis that identifies whether the DRO reading is #2 heating oil or driveway material.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]The good news is that the NJ grants cover clean-up as well as removal for a church. If you do not want to file the grant your self there are companies like mine that will prepare the grant paperwork for a small fee. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 06-24-2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actank View Post
[SIZE=3]You will not be able to accurately determine the extent of contamination because samples would have to be taken from below the bottom of the tank. Although you have a laboratory analysis stating there are high DRO readings if the tank is under a driveway the DRO readings may not be from the heating oil tank. Companies like ATS avoid this by doing a further analysis that identifies whether the DRO reading is #2 heating oil or driveway material.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]The good news is that the NJ grants cover clean-up as well as removal for a church. If you do not want to file the grant your self there are companies like mine that will prepare the grant paperwork for a small fee. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
.. I've been doing them as a coutesy but I know why others are charging for the prep. work - it extremely time consuming!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey