U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-24-2009, 08:46 PM
 
7 posts, read 30,082 times
Reputation: 19

Advertisements

DRO levels above 5100 ppm require remedial action. Results below 1000 ppm are fine, if results are between 1000 and 5100 ppm then additional testing is required.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-24-2009, 10:22 PM
 
6 posts, read 26,076 times
Reputation: 11
Thanks for all the info. We've already booked a company in central NJ to remove the tank, though I wish I would've checked here first before doing so.

The tank isn't under a paved driveway, but we did use ATS to test 6 inches below the tank. The report came back at 319 mg/kg.

We will definitely be filing for the grants.

Again, greatly appreciate all the info and the time you experts take to reply to all the questions we ask on the board. It really is helpful and extremely valuable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2009, 07:19 AM
 
Location: Stewartsville, NJ
7,577 posts, read 19,252,699 times
Reputation: 1242
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwboi View Post
Thanks for all the info. We've already booked a company in central NJ to remove the tank, though I wish I would've checked here first before doing so.

The tank isn't under a paved driveway, but we did use ATS to test 6 inches below the tank. The report came back at 319 mg/kg.

We will definitely be filing for the grants.

Again, greatly appreciate all the info and the time you experts take to reply to all the questions we ask on the board. It really is helpful and extremely valuable.
319 mg/kg? That's not bad... it could even be a false positive reading. Some tanks have tar on them - installers years ago did that as a protective coating to keep the tank from rusting. Or sometimes a little oil may spill over during filling of the tank and seep around the tank... Did ATS give you their opinion as to whether or not they felt the tank was leaking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2009, 08:20 AM
 
74 posts, read 388,183 times
Reputation: 52
When ATS does testing of soil they also identify if it is #2 heating oil, eliminating false positive readings from tank coatings or driveway materials, etc. Without this extra analysis companies many time come to incorrect conclusions as to contamination in the soil from heating oil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2009, 11:29 AM
 
6 posts, read 26,076 times
Reputation: 11
In the letter that was attached with the report it says "As you can see....the samples exceed acceptable limits for total DRO in soil for an active tank.

In summary, contamination exists in the sampled area...We recommend...isolate this tank and conduct the alert 100/1050...discuss tank abandonment and soil remediation with a state certified tank closure and remediation contractor."

The lab that performed the analysis is Analytical Laboratory Services.



Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
319 mg/kg? That's not bad... it could even be a false positive reading. Some tanks have tar on them - installers years ago did that as a protective coating to keep the tank from rusting. Or sometimes a little oil may spill over during filling of the tank and seep around the tank... Did ATS give you their opinion as to whether or not they felt the tank was leaking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2009, 11:43 AM
 
Location: Stewartsville, NJ
7,577 posts, read 19,252,699 times
Reputation: 1242
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwboi View Post
In the letter that was attached with the report it says "As you can see....the samples exceed acceptable limits for total DRO in soil for an active tank.

In summary, contamination exists in the sampled area...We recommend...isolate this tank and conduct the alert 100/1050...discuss tank abandonment and soil remediation with a state certified tank closure and remediation contractor."

The lab that performed the analysis is Analytical Laboratory Services.
The rule is...any level or any suspected release must be reported to the NJDEP via their hotline number. Do you know if this was done? My recommendation... plan for the removal of the tank and request that the contractor have a lic. subsurface person on site to do additional sampling. If the samples come back below NJDEP cleanup standards, including impact to ground water quality standards in the event you have a high water table... and if it was reported to the NJDEP, have the necessary report prepared to reflect the findings of the lic. subsurface evaluator and see if they can close out the case? It's hard to be exact in here with giving out advice but it sounds like, based on what you are stating, this is a minor, no soil remediation (removal) required? If the release was reported, you'll still need to follow NJDEP protocol and you should still be eligible for grant monies to cover the additional activities required in order to get case closure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2009, 08:40 PM
 
6 posts, read 26,076 times
Reputation: 11
will do, thanks!


Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
The rule is...any level or any suspected release must be reported to the NJDEP via their hotline number. Do you know if this was done? My recommendation... plan for the removal of the tank and request that the contractor have a lic. subsurface person on site to do additional sampling. If the samples come back below NJDEP cleanup standards, including impact to ground water quality standards in the event you have a high water table... and if it was reported to the NJDEP, have the necessary report prepared to reflect the findings of the lic. subsurface evaluator and see if they can close out the case? It's hard to be exact in here with giving out advice but it sounds like, based on what you are stating, this is a minor, no soil remediation (removal) required? If the release was reported, you'll still need to follow NJDEP protocol and you should still be eligible for grant monies to cover the additional activities required in order to get case closure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2009, 11:33 PM
 
Location: Nashville, TN
2,866 posts, read 7,974,354 times
Reputation: 659
Will someone Rep Wiley for me, I can't. It says I need to spread it.


Diane G
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2009, 06:27 AM
 
Location: Stewartsville, NJ
7,577 posts, read 19,252,699 times
Reputation: 1242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
Will someone Rep Wiley for me, I can't. It says I need to spread it.


Diane G

Thanks Di... I had the same issue the other day trying to rep you . It's the thought that counts - thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2009, 12:31 PM
 
Location: Stewartsville, NJ
7,577 posts, read 19,252,699 times
Reputation: 1242
Quote:
Originally Posted by castorfox View Post
Remove or decommission the tank immediately after the real estate closing. Don't delay! If you intend to take the tank out of service, begin the tank decommissioning process immediately! Remember, a buried steel tank can start leaking at any time without any warning signs. Soil testing and tank testing can only provide a " snap shot" of the condition of tank and soil at the time of testing. These evaluations cannot predict the tank's future reliability. Any delay will increase the risk of an environmental hazard.

If you intend to wait any length of time after the closing, it is important to purchase a tank insurance policy to protect against any future environmental liability

If the home buyer discovered a problem with the tank or soil after the closing date, it is the home buyer's (who is now the homeowner) financial responsibility for the environmental clean-up costs. Last year, the average cost for an environmental clean-up of a residential oil tank exceeded $8,000.00.


If you want more inforamtion feel free to call 888-301-1050 or visit our web site at Curren Environmental Services
Why then would you recommend decommissioning a tank AFTER closing? You just recommended to a buyer that he/she buy the home, close, move in and then deal with the liability they just purchased???????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top