U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 01:24 PM

12,253 posts, read 15,019,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
There has to be some political reason why you can't buy from Sam's or Costco's with food stamps but I'm sure we'll never know why : ) Just like in NJ, we don't have any super walmarts... this is do to union issues and/or the mafia..oh wait, aren't they they same folks? : )
I'm sure it also has to do with the fact that you have to pay to shop there so then some people on food stamps wouldn't be able to shop there because they couldn't afford the membership. Unless, the govt. paid for that and then we'd have a whole thread to complain on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 01:27 PM

7,577 posts, read 19,259,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I'm sure it also has to do with the fact that you have to pay to shop there so then some people on food stamps wouldn't be able to shop there because they couldn't afford the membership. Unless, the govt. paid for that and then we'd have a whole thread to complain on
LOL...good point!

Old 05-21-2008, 01:38 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,943,713 times
remember when we all collected green stamps?

Old 05-21-2008, 01:39 PM

12,428 posts, read 22,641,085 times
Quote:

Good point!! Never even thought of that!!

Old 05-21-2008, 01:54 PM

12,253 posts, read 15,019,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Good point!! Never even thought of that!!
I didn't either and i was the one who asked why wholesale places don't accept them.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:28 PM

11 posts, read 29,814 times
Default food stamps for the middle class YEH!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moerevlu View Post
Yes I'm one of those considering that option, just contacted my HR department to see if I can work less hours to qualify. I am having such a difficult time having a child and paying for insurance(400.00 per mo.) and large deductables for medications every month. It would be easier to work less and earn less to qualify for food stamps.
very sad what this "Land of Oppurtunity" has turned into.
It seems the Land that time forgot for the working people.
Oh yeh! I'm serious, this country is going to get worse before better. I don't care that people in other countries have been paying higher fuel cost for years this is America, or whats left of it after the 8 years we just went through.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:33 PM

769 posts, read 1,893,464 times
Quote:
See it's so easy to look down on people when you're not going through it. So if she starts working at McDonalds full time while her child is in school - when is she going to work this second job? She could put her daughter in after school care - but yes that costs money and money is the issue we're talking about right? Also, there are no buses for the after-school program so she would have to drive to the school Monday-Friday to pick her daughter up - extra gas - more money. Or I guess she could work at night after her daughter is home from school and perhaps in bed - but then she'll need a baby-sitter. Which is more money. I guess she could always leave her 9-year old at home or take her with her to work the fast food window at steak-n-shake.

People need to get real. McDonalds is not hiring 30-somethings with mortages and car notes to pay, that will want to work full-time and get benefits. They are hiring 16 year olds and retirees who just want to work a few hours a week.

Yes, I'm so sure that my friend was thinking "gee I can't wait for the hospital to close so I can collect food stamps and unemployment to pay off all those loans I've accrued trying to get an education. Boy think of all the things I'll buy with my unemployment check"

So I guess the new motto is "It doesn't matter that I can't feed my child because I'm a responsible adult and I take pride in the fact that I work two jobs instead of living off entitlement $"

Please, it's not like she's never had a job before. I said she'd been working at the hospital for 11 years - which means she paid taxes for 11 years. Isn't that why we pay pay taxes, so in times where we need assistance, programs are available? I'd much rather assist someone I knew was looking for work then someone who is going to be living off the system for the rest of their lives.

But like I said, I can only speak for myself and this is a public forum so you're entitled to believe whatever you want.
Thank you! So many times I hear people rant about homeless people. "If I was homeless I would work at McDonald's. I wouldn't take any food stamps". I just let it go because I am tired of getting into the same argument and saying the same thing: Working at McDonalds or some other low-paying job doesn't really pay any bills. McDonald's is looking for people to work cheap. Not people who need to pay the high cost of living. Do you know the kinds of people who work at McDonalds? Teens, old folks, and immigrants:
1. Teens do not need the money. Their parents cover their expenses. So the paltry pay is just for extra spending and so they can "learn the value of an honest job".
2. Old folks who are living with their relatives and need some extra to support themselves are more or less in the same position as teens.
3. Immigrants do need the money. But have you seen their living conditions? I once went to a guy's house who worked at McDonalds. Turns out his home was in a rundown, cramped apartment with six other people. The seven of them had gotten the apartment recently. Previously they had been together in some hotel for a few months, sharing the beds and chairs.

Seriously people, McDonalds and other low-paying jobs do not pay a lot; nor do they want to pay a lot. In college, I once worked for this fast food chain called Noodles and Company. They would schedule me for 4 hours and then send me home early to save costs. A manager who had quit in bitter disgust with that restaurant (her request for a 10 bucks an hour had been repeatedly rejected) said it was company policy to make sure nobody got 40 hours a week. That way they didn't have to pay overtime.

Trust me, people, these jobs not only pay low, the companies try hard as heck to take out every benefit you should get.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:11 PM

56 posts, read 174,960 times
We're on the doorstep of a recession... it's happened many times before and we've always come out the other end better for it.

It's time to tighten belt-straps folks... nobody has a "right" to stay in their large, expensive house, nor do they have a right to drive their big, expensive cars, so on and so forth. The world isn't going to end simply because we may have to make some concessions with regard to the way we're accustomed to living.

The only ones who are going to have a tough time with this are those who haven't neither a concept, nor sense of self-sacrifice.

It's all cyclical... we just have to grin and bear it.

Old 10-11-2008, 03:59 PM

2 posts, read 4,287 times
What is going on here is typical sterotyping. My husband and i are both professional people and one of use lost a job. We live in a very expensive area and in order to keep our home and food on the table we need to us this resource. Not everyone who uses these cards are out there buying junk. I feed my children healthy meals and do not abuse the system. I also find that in the office in my area more and more people who look like "me" (with my suv that is about to be repoed and my last years coach purse that at that time I could afford)are turning up. We have tightend our belt. So tight we can't breath. Going t o work at McDonalds are these people dreaming. How do I replace a $55,000 income with 7.15 an hour and that is if I am lucky. I have been on 11 interviews. Nobody is hiring people are scared, the economy is in a disaster.

Last edited by jushanginon; 10-11-2008 at 04:11 PM..

Old 10-11-2008, 08:01 PM

5,126 posts, read 9,451,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jushanginon View Post
What is going on here is typical sterotyping. My husband and i are both professional people and one of use lost a job. We live in a very expensive area and in order to keep our home and food on the table we need to us this resource. Not everyone who uses these cards are out there buying junk. I feed my children healthy meals and do not abuse the system. I also find that in the office in my area more and more people who look like "me" (with my suv that is about to be repoed and my last years coach purse that at that time I could afford)are turning up. We have tightend our belt. So tight we can't breath. Going t o work at McDonalds are these people dreaming. How do I replace a $55,000 income with 7.15 an hour and that is if I am lucky. I have been on 11 interviews. Nobody is hiring people are scared, the economy is in a disaster.
Millions of people work in fast food restaurants I'm sorry you look down on them. Maybe put the coach handbag on Ebay and see what it fetches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey