U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-20-2008, 12:11 PM

810 posts, read 2,190,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
well stated - I guess being a retired government employee has it's benefits. You just sit back and enjoy while us slackers continue to work to pay for your comfy retirement down in Florida.
Ouch! That one must've hurt.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 12:13 PM

1,973 posts, read 3,488,708 times
Quote:
well stated - I guess being a retired government employee has it's benefits. You just sit back and enjoy while us slackers continue to work to pay for your comfy retirement down in Florida.
Hey Wiley?? did you happen to hand over a napking to him after this?...cause damnnnn girl...that was the b*tch slap heard arond the world

Old 05-20-2008, 12:18 PM

3,856 posts, read 6,749,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Hmmm....looks like those homebuilders and real estate agents referenced in the article, who were rolling in the dough a few years ago during the peak times should have saved some $$ for the slow times. Sorry, but that's two groups that I can't feel sorry for just because home prices/sales have gone back to normal levels.
Absolutely!!

Nicolem

Old 05-20-2008, 12:25 PM

7,646 posts, read 10,968,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moerevlu View Post
Yes I'm one of those considering that option, just contacted my HR department to see if I can work less hours to qualify. I am having such a difficult time having a child and paying for insurance(400.00 per mo.) and large deductables for medications every month. It would be easier to work less and earn less to qualify for food stamps.
very sad what this "Land of Oppurtunity" has turned into.
It seems the Land that time forgot for the working people.
I have a novel solution to this problem: lower our taxes. They are so high right now that some are considering using a threshold in which to stay under in order to preserve their 'goodies'. What you have as a result is yet more example of where merit is discouraged, and poor decision making is rewarded. If more of our money was retained paycheck to paycheck, maybe this entire economy wouldn't be as compromised as is purported to be.

This is all part of the bigger problem: people increasingly, due to anethesization of bigger and encroaching government, are opting for security (in the form of food stamps and other centralized programs) over liberty, which entails retaining your money, but using it at your own discretion. In other words, "You're on your own, we trust you can manage your life, and that you don't need a road map to find your ******* with a compass". Sorry for the crass language, but this is what we've been reduced to in this country. Doom and gloom, newspapers being selective in reporting, then subversely inferring that it's either a) Bush or the Republican fault or b) your fault for being prosperous. This woman should get off her ass and get a job. And if that doesn't work, she should get two jobs. A Master's degree in psychology, or anything, does not entitle you to "Wonka's golden ticket" of life.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:32 PM

7,577 posts, read 14,462,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07860 View Post
Hey Wiley?? did you happen to hand over a napking to him after this?...cause damnnnn girl...that was the b*tch slap heard arond the world
I always say - careful what you say as **** rolls down hill and those people who think they are safe, are in for a reality check over the next coming months! That 3, 6 or 12 months of savings for living expenses...will be gone before you know it!

Old 05-20-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
Absolutely!!

Nicolem
You're missing the point...I have no sympathy for the wealthy who didn't manage to prepare for this...I feel for the people they employ! The contractors they use to use! The vendors that they no longer are purchasing from... the little guys at the bottom of this mess!

Old 05-20-2008, 12:37 PM

11,591 posts, read 20,398,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post

This woman should get off her ass and get a job. And if that doesn't work, she should get two jobs. A Master's degree in psychology, or anything, does not entitle you to "Wonka's golden ticket" of life.
ah, but then, if she has children, she'd be vilified for having to put her children in daycare. not to get too far off course, but as a woman, you're damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:43 PM

10,677 posts, read 14,798,249 times
Quote:
OUCH!!! what's up with that statement

Old 05-20-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
ah, but then, if she has children, she'd be vilified for having to put her children in daycare. not to get too far off course, but as a woman, you're damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Good point T - woman typically get the big paying jobs over the men who apply...she should have no problems!

Old 05-20-2008, 12:47 PM

10,677 posts, read 14,798,249 times
Quote:
I always say - careful what you say as **** rolls down hill and those people who think they are safe, are in for a reality check over the next coming months! That 3, 6 or 12 months of savings for living expenses...will be gone before you know it!
You know I think just about most except maybe the Donald Trump's are feeling the pinch..between gas prices, food costs etc we all are having to cut back.

I do feel for some....the one in the article well she took a crap shot and lost...was more then likely looking to get rich quick on the real estate frenzy of a few years back..so now us "slackers" will be paying for her food stamps..she has a degree..she needs to hustle her azz and find a job
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey