Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 08:26 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,323,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
See it's so easy to look down on people when you're not going through it. So if she starts working at McDonalds full time while her child is in school - when is she going to work this second job? She could put her daughter in after school care - but yes that costs money and money is the issue we're talking about right? Also, there are no buses for the after-school program so she would have to drive to the school Monday-Friday to pick her daughter up - extra gas - more money. Or I guess she could work at night after her daughter is home from school and perhaps in bed - but then she'll need a baby-sitter. Which is more money. I guess she could always leave her 9-year old at home or take her with her to work the fast food window at steak-n-shake.

People need to get real. McDonalds is not hiring 30-somethings with mortages and car notes to pay, that will want to work full-time and get benefits. They are hiring 16 year olds and retirees who just want to work a few hours a week.

Yes, I'm so sure that while my friend was thinking "gee I can't wait for the hospital to close so I can collect food stamps and unemployment to pay off all those loans I've accrued trying to get an education. Boy think of all the things I'll buy with my unemployment check"

So I guess the new motto is "It doesn't matter that I can't feed my child because I'm a responsible adult and I take pride in the fact that I work two jobs instead of living off entitlement"

Please, it's not like she's never had a job before. I said she'd been working at the hospital for 11 years - which means she paid taxes for 11 years. Isn't that why we pay pay taxes, so in time where we need assistance, programs are available? I'd much rather assist someone I knew was looking for work then someone who is going to be living off the system for the rest of their lives.

But like I said, I can only speak for myself and this is a public forum so you're entitled to believe whatever you want.

First of all-you don't know what I am going through-you don't know if I work 0 jobs or 3. I tend to be of the old school where I don't broadcast problems- I do what I have to do and don't expect anyone to take care of me. That is how America used to be. I am just getting sick of having to take care of-pay for-the rest of the world. And yes-as you said we are both entitled to believe and say what we want. The fact that you and I can debate openly with out fear from government or other bodies is what makes this country great.

This next part does not apply to your friend but my opinion of Americans in general. All I see is an America where Americans increasingly take the easy way out. You yourself said to do the math and it is easier to take the assistance than be a repsonsible adult. Plenty of people with children work two or three jobs and do what they have to do and do not make excuses. That is all I am saying. This country survived for many years without this increasing entitlement mentality and excuses for not pulling their own weight. We became the greatest country on earth, had some of the greatest advancements, achievements, inventions and freedoms accomplished during that time. While still the greatest country on earth, we are declining, in my opinion due to the attitude that we are entitled to more than life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. We have become a victim mentality society as a whole and expect others to provide for us. That is very sad IMHO

Nicolem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 08:28 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,368,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post

Natalayjones and her friend would be more empowered if they had their net on their paycheck equalling their gross.
I don't need your tips on how to feel empowered but they you for your suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
This next part does not apply to your friend but my opinion of Americans in general. All I see is an America where Americans increasingly take the easy way out. You yourself said to do the math and it is easier to take the assistance than be a repsonsible adult. Plenty of people with children work two or three jobs and do what they have to do and do not make excuses. That is all I am saying. This country survived for many years without this increasing entitlement mentality and excuses for not pulling their own weight. We became the greatest country on earth, had some of the greatest advancements, achievements, inventions and freedoms accomplished during that time. While still the greatest country on earth, we are declining, in my opinion due to the attitude that we are entitled to more than life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. We have become a victim mentality society as a whole and expect others to provide for us. That is very sad IMHO

Nicolem
Yes, I said that but I'm sure that you do realize this is a temporary situation. Eventually unemployment will run out and I'm sure she will take whatever job is available and make do with it until she's able to find something better. But RIGHT NOW if she she is to take one of those jobs, she would lose more than she gains by being employed the most important being the medical care for her child. And yes, I did make this personal because I know her but I'm sure there are many other parents in that sutuation too - wanting to do better for themseleves but can't afford to give up certain things and that's very sad IMHO.

Me personally, I had to turn down several full-time jobs before I got this one because taking them meant I would lose my daycare assistance BUT they didn't pay me enough to cover the $700 monthly daycare bill. I also was on section 8 for a short time because making 23K meant I made too much to live in subsidized housing but not enough to live in a regular apartment. So maybe I'm biased because I've benefited from the system, but I've never felt ashamed or like I was a victim when I was on food stamps, 4C or section 8 because to me that was doing whatever I needed to do in order to feed my child.

But I'm sure everyone thinks I'm just another poor, single mother who used the system to get ahead instead of working myself to death 24 hours a day and earning it in the true Amercian tradition.

Last edited by nat_at772; 05-21-2008 at 08:42 AM..

Old 05-21-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
I don't need your tips on how to feel empowered but they you for your suggestions.

Yes, I said that but I'm sure that you do realize this is a temporary situation. Eventually unemployment will run out and I'm sure she will take whatever job is available and make do with it until she's able to find something better. But RIGHT NOW if she she is to take one of those jobs, she would lose more than she gains by being employed the most important being the medical care for her child. And yes, I did make this personal because I know her but I'm sure there are many other parents in that sutuation too - wanting to do better for themseleves but can't afford to give up certain things and that's very sad IMHO.

Me personally, I had to turn down several full-time jobs before I got this one because taking them meant I would lose my daycare assistance BUT they didn't pay me enough to cover the $700 monthly daycare bill. I also was on section 8 for a short time because making 23K meant I made too much to live in subsidized housing but not enough to live in a regular apartment. So maybe I'm biased because I've benefited from the system, but I've never felt ashamed or like I was a victim when I was on food stamps, 4C or section 8 because to me that was doing whatever I needed to do in order to feed my child.

But I'm sure everyone thinks I'm just another poor, black single mother who used the system to get ahead instead of working myself to death 24 hours a day and earning it in the true Amercian tradition.

Why are you even bringing race into this? That is just plain wrong

Old 05-21-2008, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
Why are you even bringing race into this? That is just plain wrong
I edited it I took it personally - it happens. This is why I would never surrive in politics; I wear my emotions on my sleeve

Old 05-21-2008, 08:46 AM

1,972 posts, read 5,421,005 times
Ok, all I can say is that this thread is getting good....keep on writing, I'm enjoying watching both sides, it makes for a healthy debate, and amuses us who read it, by all means, those of you who are at opposite end of the debate can't we find a common ground? there's no right or wrong, but simply unique circumstances to each individual.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:
I edited it I took it personally - it happens. This is why I would never surrive in politics; I wear my emotions on my sleeve
Thank you. As you can tell I wear my emotions on my sleeve too

Old 05-21-2008, 08:52 AM

13,399 posts, read 28,712,493 times
Quote:
See it's so easy to look down on people when you're not going through it. So if she starts working at McDonalds full time while her child is in school - when is she going to work this second job? She could put her daughter in after school care - but yes that costs money and money is the issue we're talking about right? Also, there are no buses for the after-school program so she would have to drive to the school Monday-Friday to pick her daughter up - extra gas - more money. Or I guess she could work at night after her daughter is home from school and perhaps in bed - but then she'll need a baby-sitter. Which is more money. I guess she could always leave her 9-year old at home or take her with her to work the fast food window at steak-n-shake.

People need to get real. McDonalds is not hiring 30-somethings with mortages and car notes to pay, that will want to work full-time and get benefits. They are hiring 16 year olds and retirees who just want to work a few hours a week.

Yes, I'm so sure that my friend was thinking "gee I can't wait for the hospital to close so I can collect food stamps and unemployment to pay off all those loans I've accrued trying to get an education. Boy think of all the things I'll buy with my unemployment check"

So I guess the new motto is "It doesn't matter that I can't feed my child because I'm a responsible adult and I take pride in the fact that I work two jobs instead of living off entitlement $"

Please, it's not like she's never had a job before. I said she'd been working at the hospital for 11 years - which means she paid taxes for 11 years. Isn't that why we pay pay taxes, so in times where we need assistance, programs are available? I'd much rather assist someone I knew was looking for work then someone who is going to be living off the system for the rest of their lives.

But like I said, I can only speak for myself and this is a public forum so you're entitled to believe whatever you want.
Where is the child's FATHER in all of this?? No child support? He doesn't have to provide any medical coverage for his child??? Unless he is seriously ill or deceased this really gets me fired up as he should have to help provide for his child, not the tax payers through welfare programs.If he is some loser type..well people make choices in life, not always the best but you have to live with it.

You mentioned in an earlier post she was a hospital administator yet she is only collecting $300 in unemployment?? Maybe it's the cap in Fl, in NJ the cap is about $550.
I know FL is in bad shape compared to NJ..maybe she should start to look into relocating to a more viable, employable area.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:56 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,598,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07860 View Post
Ok, all I can say is that this thread is getting good....keep on writing, I'm enjoying watching both sides, it makes for a healthy debate, and amuses us who read it, by all means, those of you who are at opposite end of the debate can't we find a common ground? there's no right or wrong, but simply unique circumstances to each individual.
I'm voyuering (sp?) as well.... I'm just glad to see smile faces on both of their last posts : )

Old 05-21-2008, 09:06 AM

1,972 posts, read 5,421,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
I'm voyuering (sp?) as well.... I'm just glad to see smile faces on both of their last posts : )

I was glad to see their smileys as well, for a sec there I thought I was going to be witness to an online cat fight (if only I could dream). But Seriously, they both have valid points IMO. As I had stated in an old thread I once was w/o a job and swore I wouldn't take any help from anyone or goverment and after much thought and anguish I had to swallow my pride and eat my words and go collect unemployment. Unique circumstances to each individual require unique solutions, in conclusion not everyone is trying to live on govt assistance for their entire life, but if the time arises when you have no other choice or your best choice is to do so, by all means, do.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Where is the child's FATHER in all of this?? No child support? He doesn't have to provide any medical coverage for his child??? Unless he is seriously ill or deceased this really gets me fired up as he should have to help provide for his child, not the tax payers through welfare programs.If he is some loser type..well people make choices in life, not always the best but you have to live with it.

You mentioned in an earlier post she was a hospital administator yet she is only collecting $300 in unemployment?? Maybe it's the cap in Fl, in NJ the cap is about $550.
I know FL is in bad shape compared to NJ..maybe she should start to look into relocating to a more viable, employable area.
She's divorced. And her alimony, his child support hasn't changed because she's unemployed. They have to go to court to get it changed. I think she has taxes taken out of check as well - that I'm not 100% sure about but I think. I copy and pasted this from the website:

For claims filed during April, May and June, 2008, the base period is January 1, 2007 through December 31, 2007. To calculate the weekly benefit amount, use the quarter in the base period with the highest earnings and divide the earnings by 26. This number is your weekly benefit amount. The minimum weekly benefit amount is $32 and the maximum weekly benefit amount is $275. To calculate your maximum available credits, you divide your total base period wages as shown on your Wage Transcript and Determination by four (4). This number is the amount you have available to receive providing you meet all other eligibility requirements. The total amount of available credits can range from a minimum of $850 to a maximum of $7150.

So maybe I was wrong about the $300 or she was rounding up or maybe this is outdated. Don't know, I've never collected unemployment before.

I doubt she'd be able to move to another state but she's already looking into selling her house and moving to another area of FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey