U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2008, 09:42 AM

12,105 posts, read 21,640,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I agree, some people I just don't feel sorry for.
On food stamps and still hungry - May. 6, 2008

This article was posted on another forum and I just rolled my eyes. Yes, I am pro food stamps but this article got no empathy from me. Now, I'll admit my main fault with food is that I can't cook so I depend heavily on microwavable or premade food which is more expensive, but a culinary student should be able to figure out how to stretch $280 a month.

When I was growing up there were plenty of times where we had "stew" which was all the leftover vegatables from the week in tomato sauce, and cornbread. For about a year, we ate cornbread every damn night and I was sick of it but I never went to bed hungry. It wasn't until I was about 11 that I realized we ate cornbread like that because money was tight.

And yes I know that formula is high but at 4-months that's probably all that baby needs, and maybe a few boxes of cereal. $150 max. That means she still has $130 to feed herself. I could eat just fine off $130 if I had to. Even if it meant I'd have to eat chicken, potatoes, green beans and cornbread every single night. I sure wouldn't be eating canned ravioli.

On a side note, does anyone know why wholesale stores like Sams, Costco dont' accept food stamps? I would think that a family would be able to get more food for less money and that would reduce the amount of benefits a family would need but that's not the case so there must be something more to it...anyone know?
I really can't comment on her allotment as I have no idea what baby formula costs today.. I know it's not cheap, spoils quickly....I would assume the extra $65 she gets for woman Infants & Children would cover some of the cost..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 09:53 AM

3,859 posts, read 8,592,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I really can't comment on her allotment as I have no idea what baby formula costs today.. I know it's not cheap, spoils quickly....I would assume the extra $65 she gets for woman Infants & Children would cover some of the cost..
Reminds me of Superbowl Sunday up here. A woman in full Patriots gear buying lobster, steak, etc in cash and then proceeds to buy formula with WIC coupons. Some working people cannot afford lobster and expensive steak but because the taxpayers bought her kid formula she has the money to eat like that. I hope she enjoyed her food as the Giants beat the Patriots.
Nicolem

Old 05-21-2008, 10:09 AM

12,253 posts, read 14,469,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
Reminds me of Superbowl Sunday up here. A woman in full Patriots gear buying lobster, steak, etc in cash and then proceeds to buy formula with WIC coupons. Some working people cannot afford lobster and expensive steak but because the taxpayers bought her kid formula she has the money to eat like that. I hope she enjoyed her food as the Giants beat the Patriots.
Nicolem
That has always been my biggest problem with food stamps – yes when I was on them I did indulge in a cheesecake or 3 – but people abuse them, buying overly extravagant food or junk. I hate when I see people with carts full of junk. Chips, frozen pizza, cookies, soda, soda, soda. And then they wonder why so many food stamp recipients kids are obese?

Food stamps need to have stricter guidelines like WIC. It’s all supposed to be about living healthier and making sure people are able to get the food they need to survive – I’ve never met anyone who needed 2 bags of Lays, 4 bottles of Pepsi and a tombstone pizza.

Quote:
My son's formula was $40 a can - at 4 months a can would last about 1 1/2 - but I had a huge turkey baby - and it was the powder kind where I just add to add water so it stayed fresh as long as I kept the lid on it. But you're probably right, if she's getting food stamps she's probably also getting WIC

Old 05-21-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
That has always been my biggest problem with food stamps yes when I was on them I did indulge in a cheesecake or 3 but people abuse them, buying overly extravagant food or junk. I hate when I see people with carts full of junk. Chips, frozen pizza, cookies, soda, soda, soda. And then they wonder why so many food stamp recipients kids are obese?

Food stamps need to have stricter guidelines like WIC. Its all supposed to be about living healthier and making sure people are able to get the food they need to survive Ive never met anyone who needed 2 bags of Lays, 4 bottles of Pepsi and a tombstone pizza.
Soda...in my opinion should not be allowed to be bought with food stamps

Old 05-21-2008, 10:18 AM

7,868 posts, read 15,357,709 times
I remember back in 1983 when I used to be a cashier at A&P. This was in West Caldwell, mind you, not a poor area. Food stamps were used back then. I remember one woman came in with a $50 coupon and bought a pack of gum. I had to give the change in cash. 5 minutes later she went to another cashier with a carton of cigarettes. The A&P was in a strip mall. Adjacent to this strip mall was a liquor store. The woman, sure enough, proceeded out of the store and made a left, walking there. 5 minutes later, she has a case of Old Milwaukee en tow, plus a paper bag with something else in it. I was only 17 at the time, but I was getting my first real exposure to the out and out fraud the system was, and the misdeeds people perpetrated to get what they want.

Incidentally, the car the woman got into was a Chevy Suburban.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I remember back in 1983 when I used to be a cashier at A&P. This was in West Caldwell, mind you, not a poor area. Food stamps were used back then. I remember one woman came in with a $50 coupon and bought a pack of gum. I had to give the change in cash. 5 minutes later she went to another cashier with a carton of cigarettes. The A&P was in a strip mall. Adjacent to this strip mall was a liquor store. The woman, sure enough, proceeded out of the store and made a left, walking there. 5 minutes later, she has a case of Old Milwaukee en tow, plus a paper bag with something else in it. I was only 17 at the time, but I was getting my first real exposure to the out and out fraud the system was, and the misdeeds people perpetrated to get what they want.

I saw that a lot growing up - that's probably why they switched to the cards to minimize the amount of people abusing the system.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post

well today they are issued a debit like card..no change you just debit from preloaded amount..cashier at my Pathmark says it cuts down on the fraud as there were unscupulous merchants who would let the coupon go through for something not approved

Old 05-21-2008, 10:39 AM

9,124 posts, read 30,070,949 times
Quote:
well today they are issued a debit like card..no change you just debit from preloaded amount..cashier at my Pathmark says it cuts down on the fraud as there were unscupulous merchants who would let the coupon go through for something not approved
The problem is they can still use the card for any kind of crap they want. I've told the story before of the two women in front of me on SUperbowl Sunday last year, loaded up with chips, candy, soda, chicken wings, etc.- not one bit of healthy food- and with 4 kids in ratty, dirty clothes. When the cashier finished ringing them up, the total was something like $150, and she had to get the manager to come over to help her with the food stamp card because she'd never processed one before. I wanted to grab those women by the throats and strangle the life out of them for wasting my tax dollars buying crap for a Superbowl party while their kids weren't cared for.

Food stamps should be limited to essential, nutritious foods, and where a cheaper store-brand of an item is available, name brands shouldn't be able to be purchased. If people had to be responsible, maybe they wouldn't be in such bad situations to begin with......

Old 05-21-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
The problem is they can still use the card for any kind of crap they want. I've told the story before of the two women in front of me on SUperbowl Sunday last year, loaded up with chips, candy, soda, chicken wings, etc.- not one bit of healthy food- and with 4 kids in ratty, dirty clothes. When the cashier finished ringing them up, the total was something like $150, and she had to get the manager to come over to help her with the food stamp card because she'd never processed one before. I wanted to grab those women by the throats and strangle the life out of them for wasting my tax dollars buying crap for a Superbowl party while their kids weren't cared for.

Food stamps should be limited to essential, nutritious foods, and where a cheaper store-brand of an item is available, name brands shouldn't be able to be purchased. If people had to be responsible, maybe they wouldn't be in such bad situations to begin with......
I agree with you 100%. They have something in that card that won't ring up alcohol or warm food so it shouldn't be too hard to add something in there restricting junk foods. But of course if they tried to do that people would riot in the streets "just because I'm on food stamps doesn't mean I don't deserve to eat twinkies"

Old 05-21-2008, 10:50 AM

7,577 posts, read 18,739,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post

Ahhh see, that wouldn't be very American to control what people eat - it's unconstitutional. My sister has been living off of your hard earned tax dollars since the age of 16... she's now 45 and still collecting. She too buys crap with her food stamps and yes, she is obese. I once asked her why she buys crap and she commented that it's cheaper to buy crap - stretches the coupon a bit further I guess. Of course I didn't buy that excuse. I swear I must be adopted : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey