Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 10:06 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,606,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
Is that old broad still around : ) By the way, I think she is French...and last time i check, she didn't have a green card : )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 10:07 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,328,043 times
Quote:
"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

That was legal immigration. They needed a sponsor who would be financially responsible for them. They were tested for health issues and were not allowed in if there were certain issues. If they did not pass the stringent criteria they were not allowed in this country. Totally different from Illegal aliens invading this country. There is no comparison.

Nicolem

Old 05-21-2008, 10:08 AM

342 posts, read 1,793,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
In another post, you claimed that you would do whatever you had to do to pay your bills...so you wouldn't skip over to Mexico Illegally if that's where the jobs were? These are desparate people and if American's stopped hiring them, they wouldn't be heading our way as there would be no jobs for them to have. I totally get your "old fashion" politics...I was raised by a republican marine but these are different times. Fish stinks from the head down...The American employers are the head of the fish.
These are not all "desperate" people who need jobs. We are also being flooded by criminals and those with ties to terrorist groups. I just read an article the other day about a Mexican woman who gets driven back home every evening by Border Patrol agents, after a day of making her children panhandle in a Texas town. She has it pretty good. Making her children beg for money, then getting a free ride back home. Again, I urge people to watch the documentary "Border", Border The Movie | Border Movie | Immigration Movie | Directed by Chris Burgard . If you think these are all honest, hard working individuals, think again.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:09 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,670,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Is that old broad still around : ) By the way, I think she is French...and last time i check, she didn't have a green card : )
And she has a sister in France!

And here I considered her a symbol of freedom, for all of us whose families were once immigrants (ie: for all of us).

Old 05-21-2008, 10:10 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,670,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hc7612 View Post
If you think these are all honest, hard working individuals, think again.
If you don't have to track the ones that are honest, hard working individuals, how much easier do you think it would be to find the ones that aren't?

Old 05-21-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
If you don't have to track the ones that are honest, hard working individuals, how much easier do you think it would be to find the ones that aren't?
But if they are here illegally-none of them are honest. Just how do they work? Oh that is right with stolen or fake id. That is real honest.

Nicolem

Old 05-21-2008, 10:16 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
Quote:
How do you propose we utilize government agents to find these illegals, and deport them all?

Putting the onus on them makes life a little easier. As opposed to us trying to track down illegal immigrants, making them file for amnesty gives us their name, an address, etc - in effect, something to work with. Background checks proceed the same way, and in the meanwhile, anyone who doesn't file is the person you want to track.

Right now, illegal immigrants are afraid to come forward in police investigations, due to fear of deportation. By allowing them to work here, that fear goes away, and as opposed to being afraid of officers of the government speaking with them, it directly benefits them to come forward and speak about those who are not filing, who are not trying to be worker's. These illegals are the only ones to worry about, the ones trying to stay off the radar. As a result, illegals who are now legal could openly speak about those they run into who are trying to avoid being caught, expanding the eyes and ears of immigration services.

So tell me, would you rather we vilify people who want to work, or use them to our advantage, financially as well as using them to hunt down the people who we *should* be worrying about?
I would rather see the American government put serious pressure on Mexico to take care of the indigenous people of Mexico, and I only use mexico as an example as it seems most of, not all illegals come from here....Do you realize the Mexicans SHOOT illegals from Guatemala trying to cross into mexico..

If you think the newly "legal" ones are going to rat out the "illegals ones" you are pipe dreaming

Old 05-21-2008, 10:18 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,934,811 times
Quote:
Its not feasible. Its been reviewed to death. There is too great a border, nowhere near enough troops, and far to expensive to get even close to practical. Suggesting we can do it at any time, is, in fact, quite silly.
The border could be protected if we really wanted to stop people running across it. Just think Iron Curtain, Berlin wall etc Seriously, just imagine we said, right..anyone who crosses our border illegally will be shot and killed. And then did it to the next group who crossed illegally. Killed em all...say 50 of em dead. Do you think that would be a message? There is not really a penalty for crossing the border right now. What happens....I get sent home again...boohoo. If you were going to get shot and killed you wouldn't cross so nonchalantly.

Of course this would violate someone’s civil rights and the good old red white and blue has become a bit namby pamby if you ask me so nothing like this will ever happen. But saying "it's impossible or not feasible" is pretty weak IMO.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:19 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,606,032 times
Quote:
And she has a sister in France!

And here I considered her a symbol of freedom, for all of us whose families were once immigrants (ie: for all of us).
Bonjour massuer CuCullin...lol - I failed french as you can see. My great grandfather came over from Ireland.. Are you seeing how the table is turning in support of your arguement : ) Ellis island... isn't that what the plan is? To have something setup so that people can come over legally? Gotta love it!

Old 05-21-2008, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
The border could be protected if we really wanted to stop people running across it. Just think Iron Curtain, Berlin wall etc Seriously, just imagine we said, right..anyone who crosses our border illegally will be shot and killed. And then did it to the next group who crossed illegally. Killed em all...say 50 of em dead. Do you think that would be a message? There is not really a penalty for crossing the border right now. What happens....I get sent home again...boohoo. If you were going to get shot and killed you wouldn't cross so nonchalantly.

Of course this would violate someone’s civil rights and the good old red white and blue has become a bit namby pamby if you ask me so nothing like this will ever happen. But saying "it's impossible or not feasible" is pretty weak IMO.
Absolutely!

Nicolem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey