Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 06:02 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,604,405 times

Advertisements

If I do get one, it will be hanging upside down until our soldiers return from Iraq. t r u t h o u t - William Rivers Pitt | Our Flag, Too (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 06:14 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,933,744 times
We have a flag and a stand alone flag pole, fly it everyday. I am proud to be a home owner in the USA As Tahiti stated, make sure you properly dispose of your flag when it is "beyond repair". Usually local American Legion halls will take old flags from the public and have a retired flag ceremony once a year. The AL in Hackettstown actually had their retired flag ceremony last Sunday.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:58 AM

267 posts, read 950,326 times
We have one and fly it only on the American or Veteran related days...(4th of July, Memorial Day, September 11, Veterans' Day). I think that when flying it every day, people unfortunately become "numb" to it. They take it for granted because it's always there. Bringing it out on the most meaningful days makes people stop and think why it's there. That's just my personal opinion. I CAN'T STAND how the younger generation (of which I still consider myself a part of) thinks of Memorial Day as simply the start of summer or the shore season....time to drink, party, etc. It's so much more than that.
I do miss the patriotism of the post 9-11 days/months though.....but we all knew that wouldn't last. My wife had someone ask her "did someone change the dress code?!" sarcastically last year on 9-11 when she wore a related t-shirt to work. Can you imagine?!?!?

Old 05-21-2008, 07:06 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,327,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by invertigo View Post
We have one and fly it only on the American or Veteran related days...(4th of July, Memorial Day, September 11, Veterans' Day). I think that when flying it every day, people unfortunately become "numb" to it. They take it for granted because it's always there. Bringing it out on the most meaningful days makes people stop and think why it's there. That's just my personal opinion. I CAN'T STAND how the younger generation (of which I still consider myself a part of) thinks of Memorial Day as simply the start of summer or the shore season....time to drink, party, etc. It's so much more than that.
I do miss the patriotism of the post 9-11 days/months though.....but we all knew that wouldn't last. My wife had someone ask her "did someone change the dress code?!" sarcastically last year on 9-11 when she wore a related t-shirt to work. Can you imagine?!?!?
I agree-too many people view Memorial Day as a three day weekend. Too many people forget that soldiers past and present have put and continue to put themselves in harm's way so we don't have to. I certainly think it is not appreciated enough. God Bless our soldiers and veterans. It is because of them that we have the luxury of living in a free country. Depsite any complaints one has about our country-it is by far the best country on earth and we should be thankful to our soldiers for preserving that.

Nicolem

Old 05-21-2008, 07:07 AM

1,369 posts, read 4,638,377 times
Yes, we have a flag. We fly it on Memorial Day, Flag Day, 4th of July, 9/11 and Veteran's Day.

Shanny

Old 05-21-2008, 07:16 AM

562 posts, read 2,615,105 times
maybe we should encourage others to put up a flag.. I just decided to buy 2.. one for me and the other for my sister..

I think that once people see others putting up flags, others will look at this and realize that it's not silly, ignored, and might even put one up themselves..

AMERICAN MADE!

Old 05-21-2008, 07:27 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,965,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
If I do get one, it will be hanging upside down until our soldiers return from Iraq. t r u t h o u t - William Rivers Pitt | Our Flag, Too (broken link)
your credibility quotion is taking a nosedive!

Old 05-21-2008, 07:28 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,965,099 times
FYI:
on memorial day the flag should be flown at half staff until either 12 or 1 pm

Old 05-21-2008, 07:29 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,604,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
your credibility quotion is taking a nosedive!
Did you bother to read the article?

Old 05-21-2008, 07:37 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,669,512 times
I have a flag - a very good one actually, fairly expensive, my dad got it as a gift a long while ago. Unfortunately, I have only the pole and the flag, and finding the right mount has been a bit of an issue - its not a simple 3/4" pole, its 1-3/4" iirc, and pretty much anything you find on the regular store shelves only go up to 1-1/4". So, I need to find (or make) a mount
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey