Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 09:26 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,266,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcian View Post
I agree with Tahiti. Check job fair in Paterson on May 28, 2008.
http://www.paterson.k12.nj.us/SPECIAL_ED_FLYER.pdf
By the way the starting salary for teachers in Paterson is $45 Grand.
Good luck
Does that include the bullet-proof vest, or do you have to supply your own? Those things aren't cheap ya know......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 06:05 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,885,209 times
I have to agree that you got a lot of good advice.

Yes, I do believe you need connections...that's how I got my position and although I would like to move closer to home I don't have the connections in the area.

I also suggest substituting in a couple of towns. Let the Principals get to know you and be ready to fill in for a LOA. Hopefully that will land you a perm. position.

Realize that if you have years of experience and the district doesn't want to pay you for you service because they can get a recent grad for less money you may be up against that.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:00 PM

240 posts, read 945,129 times
I moved to NJ from SC 3 years ago. I was able to find a job quite quickly, but realized afterward how lucky I was. I would like to move from the area in which I live, but am really stuck because it is so difficult to find a job.

I suggest you do whatever you can to be recognized by the principal. Resumes are just piles of paper to them. Get yourself in the school as a substitute and make yourself stand out. Once you are in do ANYTHING and EVERYTHING to ensure your commitment to the school (after school activities, clubs, committees etc...) The tenure process in many districts is not difficult, however where I am it has been a long difficult road. Once in...keep pluggin' away!

Old 05-22-2008, 10:09 AM

88 posts, read 366,225 times
NEWARK has alot of positions!!.. and PAYS the most.. both of my parents have been teaching in newark for years and are well paid for teachers. my dad is making about 70+K mom is 50+K.... the money is worth staying.... keep trying ..you will get through!!..

Old 05-26-2008, 11:56 AM
jlx

17 posts, read 79,543 times
Definately substitute to make your presence known. I have noticed that many new teachers in the Morris county area are hired after doing field placement or internships from local colleges. It's all about the connections- these are ongoing relationships with area colleges. Since you're established this wouldn't be for you. Look for younger teachers going out on maternity leave in the nicer areas. Some do not return to teaching probably because they can afford to-married to high-earners. This is unlikey in poorer areas since these are desireable jobs. Word of mouth is how you'll find this out-definately tough, but unfortunately all about who you know here.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:04 PM

56 posts, read 199,771 times
While I have no clue what the situation is like up in NNJ.... I know teaching positions aren't that hard to come by down here in SJ.

First of all... do you at least have your provisional NJ teaching certificate? TCs are in general, easily transferrable from state to state... you just have to actually go and apply to obtain one. If you do not have yours, I'd highly suggest visiting the NJ Dept of Education website.

Second, are you limiting yourself only to elementary school positions? I've always found that finding a position teaching at the elementary level tends to be a bit harder than at the secondary level, as many who find a job teaching such tend to stay there longer than their secondary counterparts. I know there are a lot of people who prefer to only teach younger kids... but if one has a true love for teaching, then that shouldn't really matter. So have you put in your application at various high schools? What about at any vocational/technical high schools?? There's always a need for good teachers at our state's vo-techs and if anything, they always tend to be overlooked by young teachers. Even if it's something you wouldn't want to do for the rest of your career, both would be great ways to "cut your teeth" in a particular district/county.

Finally... I'm not going to make any assumptions here, but have you put out applications to all of the schools in your general area... or only to ones in, umm... "nicer" areas? Because just as there's always a need for good, dedicated teachers at NJ's vocational schools... there's always the same need at many of our more impoverished and/or urban school districts. If you really want to teach at one of our state's public schools and you are having trouble finding a position, then you need to broaden the scope of you search. You know the old saying... "beggars can't be choosers."

Old 05-27-2008, 05:10 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,885,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amgoff View Post
While I have no clue what the situation is like up in NNJ.... I know teaching positions aren't that hard to come by down here in SJ.
What part of South Jersey are you in? Phila. area or shore? I live at the shore and can't find anything...

Old 05-27-2008, 05:39 PM

240 posts, read 945,129 times
[quote=amgoff;3896982]While I have no clue what the situation is like up in NNJ.... I know teaching positions aren't that hard to come by down here in SJ.

quote]

That is the first time that I have heard that. They are hard to come by all over NJ. I sent out a stack of resumes when I moved here and only received two replies for an interview. I had my NJ licensure, masters degree, six years experience and great references.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,911 times
Alachi, You have really touched on my achilles heel! Let me tell you my story. I'm in Gloucester County, NJ. I graduated with honors in 1996. Subbed for one year. I was told by an administrator I needed experience. So, I got experience teaching first grade. But, little did I know they had a problem with getting the experience in a Catholic School. While there, I made sure I got past the "red tape" of certificates. I have a standard certificate in teaching elementary school. I started in a Catholic School in 1997 at $18,000 a year. After being there for 10 years I decided to go back to school to get my Spec. Ed. certificate. During the ten years I only got interviews and that was it. Ten years later after working up to $28,000 a year, the Catholic school closed. So, I went back to public schools as a long-term sub. The first school told me when they hired me that being a LTS was a stepping stone to getting a job there. So, in the spring they were hiring 9 teachers. They interviewed me and some other subs and aides. They told me I did a good job. However, they did not hire me or any of their subs. It's been that way with them for the past several years. Next, I moved on to another district as a LTS. I ended up having a baby soon after and just stepped down be a substitute there. There were budget cuts during that time and no one was hiring anyway. When I wanted to go back to full-time and they ignored my resumes for awhile. I tried political connections in my hometown with no luck. Then I got my Masters in teaching reading. I just graduated with a 3.97 gpa. But, I'm back to being a LTS again. Currently, I am doing my second LTS job with a district that I have previously done regular day to day subbing for since 2010. Every LTS job I do I get compliments and letters of recommendation. So, there really is no magic trick. I can hope this job I have now will do the trick. But, they certainly put me with a class that is putting me to the test. They are making me prove myself. Someone said "beggars can't be choosers". That saying makes me feel as if you have to take bread crumbs because you don't deserve to be happy. I know that it's harder in elementary schools and in nice areas. But, you still got to end up happy. I keep pursuing my dream because I feel that I already settled for second and third best and it didn't get me where I wanted. I am shooting for the job I really want despite the fact that I could get another private school job, work in Camden, or some other job that I just don't desire. You shouldn't have to settle for a job that doesn't fit you. It just may take a little longer. Anyway, good luck in NNJ.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:16 PM

49 posts, read 84,949 times
Wugrad,
How many Praxis tests have you taken, if I can ask?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey