U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 09:32 AM

279 posts, read 184,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacher08 View Post
I know this post was written in 2008, but can anyone give me updated information about this topic. I am in a very discouraging position at the moment. I graduated with my bachelor's in education in 2014, have my teaching certification, experience, and excellent references. It is now 2016 and I am half-way done with my master's degree in special education. I have almost $70,000 in student loan debt and am planning on continuing my education past my master's degree.
I have applied to 50+ school districts, both in high and low income areas, and have not gotten one call back. I have taken on many small tasks including teaching summer school, working with students with disabilities in a private setting, teaching pre-school, etc. I was only making between 18 and 25K per year.
It is very upsetting and discouraging that I have done all this work and have all of this debt and not even be able to pursue my dream of becoming a classroom teacher. I am considering dropping out of school and finding a basic 9-5 job just to make my ends meet. It really is a shame that I cannot pursue my dream of teaching because finding a job has become so political and biased.
Why are you planning on continuing past a master's degree? Finish masters > get job > continue school part time seems to be the sensible approach (unless you're getting a doctorate to be a professor or admin or something).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 09:51 AM

513 posts, read 906,817 times
A few points
Being that it is August now, the interviewing / hiring process is well under way for the 2016/2017 year
The time to send in resumes is March/April. To get on the list for when principles start interviewing in May/June.
Reason being, all teachers must be approved by the districts BOE. They usually meet once/month. So to get interviewed and start by Sept, you need to get on list early. Not that it doesn't happen faster but sometimes it's a rush rush interview start.

Many times a principle doesn't know who to replace until June/July when teachers have to sign contract for next year, or the district gets a head count.

Many times you must substitute in several districts to get in the door (like an Intern), meet people, they meet you and get a feel if you will fit in the district. You may sub in multiple districts in order to hope you could be called most days. Once you are known, you could also be on the inside track to get long term subs, like maternity leaves.

Get as many certs as you can, even if you don't feel you will use them. They all could help.

If you are trying for an Elem job, they are the toughest to get, high demand

If you could teach High school, much easier to get a job. HS math, science

Sorry to say, the MS could help or hurt you. Shows you are very qualified as being educated, but also the districts have to pay you more for it. If you and someone else fit a districts needs and not really require a MS, you could be passed over as to expensive. I would suggest not going for PhD until you have full time job, then yes, get it.

Old 08-09-2016, 01:14 PM

1,436 posts, read 716,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doncorleyone View Post
NEWARK has alot of positions!!.. and PAYS the most.. both of my parents have been teaching in newark for years and are well paid for teachers. my dad is making about 70+K mom is 50+K.... the money is worth staying.... keep trying ..you will get through!!..

So are they given a whip, baseball bat and bullet proof vest ? Or do they have to supply their own?

Old 08-09-2016, 03:24 PM

799 posts, read 810,651 times
my SIL works in the Princeton area, i forgot which district exactly but started as a sub and then i think a maternity position, and then full time. i think it took about 2 years but she has a FT position now. Shes graduated with her masters in education in 2013

Old 08-09-2016, 04:17 PM

964 posts, read 2,137,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacher08 View Post
I know this post was written in 2008, but can anyone give me updated information about this topic. I am in a very discouraging position at the moment. I graduated with my bachelor's in education in 2014, have my teaching certification, experience, and excellent references. It is now 2016 and I am half-way done with my master's degree in special education. I have almost $70,000 in student loan debt and am planning on continuing my education past my master's degree.
I have applied to 50+ school districts, both in high and low income areas, and have not gotten one call back. I have taken on many small tasks including teaching summer school, working with students with disabilities in a private setting, teaching pre-school, etc. I was only making between 18 and 25K per year.
It is very upsetting and discouraging that I have done all this work and have all of this debt and not even be able to pursue my dream of becoming a classroom teacher. I am considering dropping out of school and finding a basic 9-5 job just to make my ends meet. It really is a shame that I cannot pursue my dream of teaching because finding a job has become so political and biased.
Sadly, the update is that it's still very hard to get a teaching job anywhere in NJ. Don't believe the hype about it being easy to find a job in urban or low-income districts, either, even in allegedly "high need" subjects such as special ed. It's a bit easier, but not much. The reality is that there are too many people and not enough jobs, and that's the case in the entire tri-state area.

You need to apply anywhere and everywhere for a job. Also, you may want to hold off on the studies past a master's until you're assured of a job. I don't think a master's alone will lessen your chances in most districts, but adding those additional credits on may price you out of a job.

Be patient and be persistent. Good luck.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:25 AM

1,885 posts, read 2,721,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliann1977 View Post
Instead of teaching at a private school, you will be better off, long-term, subbing in a couple districts. The is a definite bias in some districts against teachers who teach/have taught in private schools. It is a bizarre NJEA thing.

It is practically impossible to get hired at the elementary level, even for those who are "connected." My SIL subbed for nearly two years before she got her position in the same district that she 1) attended, 2) her mother teaches, 3) her grandmother worked as an aid, and 4) her aunt was the hs principal's secretary for 50 years. If that isn't connected, I don't know what is, and it still took her two years. Then she was half time for a year (taught morning K).

I was a high school English teacher here for five years, which also isn't that easy of a field in which to get a job. Best wishes!
Does the NJEA hire teachers in schools? I thought it was administration?

Old 08-11-2016, 01:36 PM

5,426 posts, read 1,821,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alachi View Post
Hello all,

I moved to NJ almost a year ago from Maryland. I was a first grade teacher for Montgomery County Public Schools for two years. When I moved here with my husband, not one of the 30+ school districts I applied to called me back for an interview. I had to end up taking a part time private school job, and to make ends meet, work afternoons at the local YMCA.

I have good, solid experience working in public school. Why haven't any of the public schools called? Is it really about who you know?

Had I stayed in Maryland, I would have been making 46,000 this school year as a teacher in her third year. Here in NJ, I barely break 23,000. This is enough to make me move back to MD.

My question is this: How do public school teachers in NJ get their jobs?

Is there some magic trick I haven't learned? Do I have to be related to someone on the Board of Ed? Or is there simply a surplus of teachers in this state?

Mind you, I have been applying for over a year and a half for these positions. NO ONE called back. Not Elizabeth, Cranford, Westfield, Summit, any of the Oranges, Union, Roselle Park, Roselle, Scotch Plains, Springfield, Montclair etc. I spent a lot of time and money on those applications!!!

Heck, I even went to the Kean Teacher Job Fair last year. (I wasn't an alum, but my husband was) I stayed until 9:00, way later than it ended, with an interviewer who PROMISED me he would have one of the principals from his district give me a call. WHAT A LIAR!

What does a teacher have to do to get a public school job?
Unbelievable....
Try going to board meetings for some of these school districts.

I've even heard of people sending a box of pizza to a hiring manager along with their resume and then following up a few days later. Can't hurt to try. At most you're out the cost of a pizza.

Old 08-12-2016, 08:59 PM

5,126 posts, read 9,448,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Unbelievable....
Try going to board meetings for some of these school districts.

I've even heard of people sending a box of pizza to a hiring manager along with their resume and then following up a few days later. Can't hurt to try. At most you're out the cost of a pizza.
Put a couple of $100 dollar bills under a slice and it may work.

Old 08-14-2016, 10:46 AM

2 posts, read 926 times
I must have worded it wrong, I am not planning on continuing education past masters in the sense of getting a doctorate. I meant getting more certifications and taking a few classes here and there.

Old 08-17-2016, 03:16 PM

29 posts, read 67,334 times
I am an NJ elementary teacher. I had a few years experience in another state and then moved to NJ. In order to get a full time permanent position, I took a maternity leave position in a district. A teacher in my school retired, so I was then offered her position for the following school year. As others have said, it is very competitive. Most people that I know that have gotten jobs started out as a sub, aide, or as a maternity leave replacement. Since there are so many candidates subbing or taking temporary positions in districts, principals will often go with these candidates rather than hiring someone externally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey