Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 07:27 AM

807 posts, read 1,033,145 times

Advertisements

It's simply a case of supply and demand.

Elementary school jobs are the hardest to get, simply because anyone can get a degree in elementary education, there are 500 applicants for every 1 job. And people don't leave the job that easily, here in NJ, public school teachers make a good buck, so people stay a long time.

If you want to be a teacher, get a degree that everyone else doesn't have. If you could teach high school physics, you'd have a job tomorrow, at almost any school you want, starting at any salary you want. Why? Because nobody has a physics teaching certification anymore. Just in my high school, we are down two physics teachers. The state only graduated 2 physics teaching degrees last year. Supply and demand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 07:34 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
You people ARE aware that you are replying to a post made almost six years ago, right? And that a quick click on the OP's name will tell you that s/he hasn't been back here since 2008?

Old 03-16-2014, 12:05 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,524,797 times
Looks bleak if you aren't connected with some district or the NJEA.

Have you considered private schools or going to another state? I hear they are always looking for teachers down in Florida.

Old 10-25-2014, 05:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,749 times
I just left a school district received my Masters in Educational Leadership and looking for a job on the administrative level. I have 11 yrs in education in teaching. I am looking for career fairs in education for November 2014. Does anyone know of any taken place thought New Jersey?

Thank you,
Hopeful

Old 10-25-2014, 06:03 AM

294 posts, read 242,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You people ARE aware that you are replying to a post made almost six years ago, right? And that a quick click on the OP's name will tell you that s/he hasn't been back here since 2008?
It's still interesting reading. It's enlightening to read about how NJ teachers are well-paid and their unions have developed an insular "good-ol'-boys" type club to keep the goodies within the family, particularly if you're moving from another state. Also interesting to read about how they're biased against people who get experience teaching at private schools. Gotta say, it doesn't give me a good first-impression of the state.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:26 AM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmorisco View Post
I just left a school district received my Masters in Educational Leadership and looking for a job on the administrative level. I have 11 yrs in education in teaching. I am looking for career fairs in education for November 2014. Does anyone know of any taken place thought New Jersey?

Old 10-26-2014, 04:34 PM

65 posts, read 125,865 times
Y sister teaches catholic here in north jersey after subbing a while out in LA. public school jobs are very difficult to get, her story mirrors yours exactly OP. She barely makes ends meet and couldn't afford her house if she didn't have her boyfriends income as well. I might also add you need connections. She now has a gig lined up in public school and it is strictly because the superintendent of the school has known my father for 30+ years...
Welcome to NJ... It's a shame that it is like that sometimes.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:56 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,827,454 times
$23000 per year, how is one suppose to survive with that income in NJ?

Old 08-09-2016, 07:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,043 times
I know this post was written in 2008, but can anyone give me updated information about this topic. I am in a very discouraging position at the moment. I graduated with my bachelor's in education in 2014, have my teaching certification, experience, and excellent references. It is now 2016 and I am half-way done with my master's degree in special education. I have almost $70,000 in student loan debt and am planning on continuing my education past my master's degree.
I have applied to 50+ school districts, both in high and low income areas, and have not gotten one call back. I have taken on many small tasks including teaching summer school, working with students with disabilities in a private setting, teaching pre-school, etc. I was only making between 18 and 25K per year.
It is very upsetting and discouraging that I have done all this work and have all of this debt and not even be able to pursue my dream of becoming a classroom teacher. I am considering dropping out of school and finding a basic 9-5 job just to make my ends meet. It really is a shame that I cannot pursue my dream of teaching because finding a job has become so political and biased.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:21 AM

351 posts, read 482,269 times
Well first off you need to complete your master's as it is pretty much a minimum for Special Education. Halfway doesn't mean anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey