U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-21-2008, 04:58 PM

5 posts, read 167,301 times
Default NJ driver's license, moving from NY

I moved from NY to NJ recently. I need to change my driver's license from NY to NJ. My NY driver's license is still valid for a while (for more than one more year). I also have a certificate of naturalization (4 pts), an SS card (1 pt) and the aforementioned NY DL (1 pt) for a total of 6 pts (I think that is what is required). I am over 18 but under 21. I have some questions: 1. Is that identification sufficient? 2. Will there be a written test? 3. Will there be a road test? 4. If I fail either, do I get to keep my NY DL (I need to be able to drive legally)? 5. What are the steps required to get my NJ DL from this position? Edit: More importantly, if I do pass, is there a waiting period before I am able to drive alone (without a passenger)? My NY DL already allows me to do this, btw.

Last edited by Slon; 05-21-2008 at 05:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 05:38 PM

7,081 posts, read 23,301,324 times
Try this site:State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission

There's a whole section on relocating to NJ.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Try this site:State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission (broken link)

There's a whole section on relocating to NJ.
According to this: A vision test is required. The knowledge and road test are waived as long as you have a valid, non-provisional driver license issued by any of the 50 states or District of Columbia Well, from what I understand, I have a normal DL issued from NY that is still valid (until 2010, I believe). HOWEVER, it says that I am under 21 on it (which I am). I am over 18. Does this still apply to me or do I have to be 21? From what I understand, I just need the 6 pts identification (part of which is my NY DL) and I am good to go (assuming I can see and read letters/numbers). Am I correct? No driving test and no written test AT ALL? It's also a "Class D" driver's license (does that matter?). Yes, that is important. In some states, a class D license means provisional. I am interested in New York. I was not able to find a clear answer. Also, the site is contradictory: Once page says:
Quote:
How to transfer your out-of-state license Visit any MVC Agency and purchase a permit for each class of vehicle you will be operating * You will need to bring your out-of-state license and required documents to pass the 6 Point ID Verification After you get the permit(s), visit any Driver Testing Center to take a vision test, knowledge test and possibly a road test. The knowledge test may be waived if you are 18 years or older and posses a valid, non-provisional, non-GDL driver license. The road test is waived if your out-of-state license is currently valid. If you pass the required tests, you will be issued a four-year basic New Jersey license and must surrender your out-of-state license.
The other says:
Quote:
A vision test is required. The knowledge and road test are waived as long as you have a valid, non-provisional driver license issued by any of the 50 states or District of Columbia
Well, which is it? Is the written test DEFINITELY waived or is it POSSIBLY waived?

In case it is important, I have never been given points for driving violations.

Last edited by Slon; 05-21-2008 at 06:12 PM..

Old 05-21-2008, 09:20 PM

2,689 posts, read 30,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slon View Post
I moved from NY to NJ recently. I need to change my driver's license from NY to NJ. My NY driver's license is still valid for a while (for more than one more year). I also have a certificate of naturalization (4 pts), an SS card (1 pt) and the aforementioned NY DL (1 pt) for a total of 6 pts (I think that is what is required). I am over 18 but under 21. I have some questions: 1. Is that identification sufficient? 2. Will there be a written test? 3. Will there be a road test? 4. If I fail either, do I get to keep my NY DL (I need to be able to drive legally)? 5. What are the steps required to get my NJ DL from this position? Edit: More importantly, if I do pass, is there a waiting period before I am able to drive alone (without a passenger)? My NY DL already allows me to do this, btw.
no road test, if you fail the written test I believe you can keep your NY dl

Old 05-21-2008, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
no road test, if you fail the written test I believe you can keep your NY dl
And the written test? MVC says it is waived. Does anyone know for sure? Also, how long between written tests if I fail?

Old 05-21-2008, 09:25 PM

2,689 posts, read 30,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slon View Post
And the written test? MVC says it is waived. Does anyone know for sure? Also, how long between written tests if I fail?
it's been a long time for me, but when I cam to NJ, I had to take the written test, recently I moved to FLA and they did not require any tests, so the answer could be no test, why don't you just go to their web site all the info is there

Old 05-21-2008, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
it's been a long time for me, but when I cam to NJ, I had to take the written test, recently I moved to FLA and they did not require any tests, so the answer could be no test, why don't you just go to their web site all the info is there
I did. But as I said in post 3, their site does not make it clear. Some pages say different things about the same matter. I also don't know if my DL is provisional or not. I am guessing that it is not. Read post #3 for the entire info.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:47 AM

2,741 posts, read 3,828,631 times
I moved FROM FL to NJ last year. (yea, I know, Im crazy. Heard it 9999 times but... employed uber alles!)

I didnt take any test besides the blindness test. If you cant pass that pitifully easy test you really should NOT be driving because if you cant pass it... You really ARE blind.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
I moved FROM FL to NJ last year. (yea, I know, Im crazy. Heard it 9999 times but... employed uber alles!)

I didnt take any test besides the blindness test. If you cant pass that pitifully easy test you really should NOT be driving because if you cant pass it... You really ARE blind.
You're right. They gave me no tests at all. Just document checks. They still managed to stretch it for an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey