U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 11:09 AM

11,039 posts, read 15,744,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
I smell a business opportunity: parent/kid friendly bars.

Oh wait, it appears that there must already be plenty of them, given all the experiences you guys have described. I guess the owners of those places have decided that there is no profit to be found in excluding kids from their establishments. But certainly everyone who hates seeing a kid in a bar is free to seek out and patronize those establishments that do exclude kids. I assume there must be plenty out there.

A BAR, not bar/restaurant is NO PLACE for a child and anyone who thinks it is needs a good kick you know where.

The language for one, blaring juke box and sometimes unruly people.

Like the one poster said Your life changes when you have kids not everyone else's.

It is an ABC law in NJ that NO ONE under 21 is supposed to be at the bar...some owners look the other way so as not to have a scene with two clueless parents trying to roll in a baby carriage at 8:30 at night. Of which if baby accidently got hurt two clueless parents would be looking to sue

Get a baby sitter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 11:12 AM

713 posts, read 1,353,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
Puleeez IMO, kids are way too involved in things they shouldn't be these days.

Last football season, I was at my favorite "football bar" and a couple came in with two kids about 12 and 8 years old. There is a sign above the pool table that says "nobody under 18 permitted to play pool". Next thing you know, Dad is giving the older kid quarters to play his little brother in pool. When the bartender noticed what was going on, she said, "excuse me, you are not allowed to play pool here". Dad immediately came rushing over and said "don't you dare tell my boy that he can't do something". Bartender said, "there is a sign right there Sir, it's a bar rule". Dad said "we don't have to take this mistreatment, nothing but a bunch of drunks in here anyway" and at that the whole family stormed out. HELLO, you brought your kids to a BAR, did you really expect everyone to be sober. People scare me sometimes
The really scary part is that they probably told all their clueless friends that story, and still feel that they were in the right.

My husband and I have no children, but even we know they're not supposed to stay up too late. We're always mortified at those shoppers we see out at 10 or 11 at night dragging their overtired children around.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:15 AM

12,157 posts, read 10,793,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
last night hubby had to work late, so he calls about 7 and says why don't we meet at 7:30 for a drink....sounds good

We go to our local watering hole...it's a BAR folks..pool table..darts...they play Texas Hold EM on Wednesday nights...

Sitting at the bar until after 8:30 is this couple..daddy is holding little boy about 3 on his lap...mommy is holding little girl about 18 months on her lap as she squirmed and screeched.

WAKE UP .....it's a freakin bar those kids belonged home..in bed...sheesh my hubbie had to keep me from voicing my opinion...
LOL just last night I took my son out in his stroller for our evening walk to the park. Now my son is 2 and at the stage where he likes to be a big boy so on the way home he wanted to get out of the stroller and push it. I went along with it for a while because I knew he would tire himself out and would fall asleep easily after his bath (yes besides the benefit of exercise I use our walk to make him sleepy ) But I wasn't watching the time and next thing I know it's a quarter to 8 and getting dark. So we're about a half-a-mile away from home and I'm pushing him as fast as I can and we get to a street light where there's about 8 people waiting for the bus and this lady says "now that child should be at home in bed"

I felt like the worst parent in the world. I was so sure someone was going to call the police and have me carted away.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:15 AM

4,852 posts, read 6,422,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet* View Post
The really scary part is that they probably told all their clueless friends that story, and still feel that they were in the right.

My husband and I have no children, but even we know they're not supposed to stay up too late. We're always mortified at those shoppers we see out at 10 or 11 at night dragging their overtired children around.
No kidding, I'll have to ask the owner next time I see him, if the couple has filed a lawsuit yet

Old 05-22-2008, 11:17 AM

1,860 posts, read 2,631,321 times
I hear ya guys and this is from a single bachelor.

I absolutely love children and my married friends' kids all like me. In fact, I've even babysat for them.

But in places like a bar, children do not belong. PERIOD!

I am willing to grant exceptions to some cases where last-minute babysitter cancellations took place and parents had no choice. But I'd hope that most parents would have enough sense not to take children to a bar. A bar/restaurant gets a pass.

But a bar?

It absolutely IRKS me at how some parents nowadays are indeed clueless. I've seen parents sit resigned while their kids scream and cry - no discipline. They let their kids run uncontrolled - no discipline. In fact, I once endured 5 hours of hysterical crying by an infant who was with his mother right in front of me in a 7-hour interstate bus ride (took that long due to a snowstorm). She just sat there holding him not even talking to him or trying to make him stop. I won't say what race she was, but it was all too clear she was an unwed single mother who was quite young herself.

Some people are REALLY stupid and do not deserve to be parents.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
Puleeez IMO, kids are way too involved in things they shouldn't be these days.

Last football season, I was at my favorite "football bar" and a couple came in with two kids about 12 and 8 years old. There is a sign above the pool table that says "nobody under 18 permitted to play pool". Next thing you know, Dad is giving the older kid quarters to play his little brother in pool. When the bartender noticed what was going on, she said, "excuse me, you are not allowed to play pool here". Dad immediately came rushing over and said "don't you dare tell my boy that he can't do something". Bartender said, "there is a sign right there Sir, it's a bar rule". Dad said "we don't have to take this mistreatment, nothing but a bunch of drunks in here anyway" and at that the whole family stormed out. HELLO, you brought your kids to a BAR, did you really expect everyone to be sober. People scare me sometimes
and if the little Dahlings ripped the pool table felt how much you want to bet dear ole dad doesn't reach in his pocket for repair $$$

Old 05-22-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
LOL just last night I took my son out in his stroller for our evening walk to the park. Now my son is 2 and at the stage where he likes to be a big boy so on the way home he wanted to get out of the stroller and push it. I went along with it for a while because I knew he would tire himself out and would fall asleep easily after his bath (yes besides the benefit of exercise I use our walk to make him sleepy ) But I wasn't watching the time and next thing I know it's a quarter to 8 and getting dark. So we're about a half-a-mile away from home and I'm pushing him as fast as I can and we get to a street light where there's about 8 people waiting for the bus and this lady says "now that child should be at home in bed"

I felt like the worst parent in the world. I was so sure someone was going to call the police and have me carted away.
That was a walk!!! Now if you stopped at the local watering hole for a brewski I'd have to beat you with a wet noodle

Old 05-22-2008, 11:21 AM

1,924 posts, read 2,948,600 times
Quote:
But I wasn't watching the time and next thing I know it's a quarter to 8 and getting dark. So we're about a half-a-mile away from home and I'm pushing him as fast as I can and we get to a street light where there's about 8 people waiting for the bus and this lady says "now that child should be at home in bed"
Why - did he have to be at work in the morning!?!?!?

Old 05-22-2008, 11:26 AM

1,048 posts, read 3,218,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Sitting at the bar until after 8:30 is this couple..daddy is holding little boy about 3 on his lap...mommy is holding little girl about 18 months on her lap as she squirmed and screeched.
These are the same parents that thought making Las Vegas a family friendly town a few years ago was a good idea.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:34 AM

9 posts, read 19,265 times
Two separate points being raised here ..
1. keeping your child awake late.
2. Taking your children to the bars

While #2 is wrong, wrong, wrong, I always find folks picking on #1 as being nosy. My son has a different sleep schedule where he goes to bed at around 9.30 and wakes up at 8ish. He also takes a couple of 1.5 hr naps during the day, so it's not like we're torturing him to stay awake.
That's why I think that anyone picking on simply the time when a child is awake needs to mind their own business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey