Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 09:13 AM

13,399 posts, read 28,714,749 times

Advertisements

last night hubby had to work late, so he calls about 7 and says why don't we meet at 7:30 for a drink....sounds good

We go to our local watering hole...it's a BAR folks..pool table..darts...they play Texas Hold EM on Wednesday nights...

Sitting at the bar until after 8:30 is this couple..daddy is holding little boy about 3 on his lap...mommy is holding little girl about 18 months on her lap as she squirmed and screeched.

WAKE UP .....it's a freakin bar those kids belonged home..in bed...sheesh my hubbie had to keep me from voicing my opinion...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 09:14 AM

259 posts, read 924,762 times
Yeah, I always feel uncomfortable when there is a baby in the bar. I used to feel even worse when we could smoke in the bars.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:17 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,599,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
last night hubby had to work late, so he calls about 7 and says why don't we meet at 7:30 for a drink....sounds good

We go to our local watering hole...it's a BAR folks..pool table..darts...they play Texas Hold EM on Wednesday nights...

Sitting at the bar until after 8:30 is this couple..daddy is holding little boy about 3 on his lap...mommy is holding little girl about 18 months on her lap as she squirmed and screeched.

WAKE UP .....it's a freakin bar those kids belonged home..in bed...sheesh my hubbie had to keep me from voicing my opinion...
The money you save on the babysitter will get you a few more pints : ) I'm sorry, but the bar owner should say something... ask them to sit at a table...but I'm sure that would lead to one hell of a law suit!

Old 05-22-2008, 09:17 AM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post

Come to Las Cruces New Mexico Kate, to see kids out at midnight on a school night. It's a whole nother world. That is a regular scene here, though not necessarily in a bar. The kind of malfeasance taking place here involves going to the Wal-Mart at midnight with 3 kids in tow, buying stuff. Not emergency milk or bread. Stuff people don't need and probably can't afford.

This is yet more reason I think birth control should be free, and readily available. I've never felt more strongly about this.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:20 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,930,743 times
It is an "ABC" regulation that nobody under 21 is allowed to sit at the bar, I rarely see it enforced though. I see this type of "crap" all the time, it really annoys me. WAKE UP MOM & DAD!!!

Old 05-22-2008, 09:20 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,932,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Come to Las Cruces New Mexico Kate, to see kids out at midnight on a school night. It's a whole nother world. That is a regular scene here, though not necessarily in a bar. The kind of malfeasance taking place here involves going to the Wal-Mart at midnight with 3 kids in tow, buying stuff. Not emergency milk or bread. Stuff people don't need and probably can't afford.

This is yet more reason I think birth control should be free, and readily available. I've never felt more strongly about this.
Urgh, that is sickening. Happens here too though. We were out for dinner on a Sat night a couple of weeks ago. Sat down to eat at 9:30pm and there was a couple next to us with a 2 year old who were also just starting to eat. Poor thing was so exhusted she didn't know what to do with herself. It was painful to watch.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:21 AM

13,399 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
The money you save on the babysitter will get you a few more pints : ) I'm sorry, but the bar owner should say something... ask them to sit at a table...but I'm sure that would lead to one hell of a law suit!

I am going to mention it to the owner
I have been in bars that have posted NO CHILDREN AT THE BAR!!!! Even though years ago that was a no brainer, people didn't bring their kids to the bar

Old 05-22-2008, 09:29 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,684 times
I just posted the same thing on my neighborhood website. Tuesday night at 8:30 a couple tried to wheel a baby carriage in. The bartender wouldn't let them in the door and they tried to put up a fight. There are NO tables and NO food in this place! I really assumed this was NY thing. I'm moving to NJ in a couple of months and I was hoping this was one of the rotten things I would be escaping.

Attention new parents: YOUR life changes when you have kids - not everyone else's.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:50 AM

1,552 posts, read 4,632,408 times
I smell a business opportunity: parent/kid friendly bars.

Oh wait, it appears that there must already be plenty of them, given all the experiences you guys have described. I guess the owners of those places have decided that there is no profit to be found in excluding kids from their establishments. But certainly everyone who hates seeing a kid in a bar is free to seek out and patronize those establishments that do exclude kids. I assume there must be plenty out there.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:06 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,930,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
I smell a business opportunity: parent/kid friendly bars.

Oh wait, it appears that there must already be plenty of them, given all the experiences you guys have described. I guess the owners of those places have decided that there is no profit to be found in excluding kids from their establishments. But certainly everyone who hates seeing a kid in a bar is free to seek out and patronize those establishments that do exclude kids. I assume there must be plenty out there.

Puleeez IMO, kids are way too involved in things they shouldn't be these days.

Last football season, I was at my favorite "football bar" and a couple came in with two kids about 12 and 8 years old. There is a sign above the pool table that says "nobody under 18 permitted to play pool". Next thing you know, Dad is giving the older kid quarters to play his little brother in pool. When the bartender noticed what was going on, she said, "excuse me, you are not allowed to play pool here". Dad immediately came rushing over and said "don't you dare tell my boy that he can't do something". Bartender said, "there is a sign right there Sir, it's a bar rule". Dad said "we don't have to take this mistreatment, nothing but a bunch of drunks in here anyway" and at that the whole family stormed out. HELLO, you brought your kids to a BAR, did you really expect everyone to be sober. People scare me sometimes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey