Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2022, 08:15 AM

2,666 posts, read 1,185,188 times

Advertisements

Will people in the State of New Jersey start having to pay extra at the supermarkets and department stores when they go to a cashier to ring up their merchandise?

I am curious as to if this is what will be next?

People have two choices when shopping either go to the self check which is do it yourself or go the cashier who does it for you.

Is this where New Jersey is heading?

Old 04-25-2022, 09:19 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,253,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
Will people in the State of New Jersey start having to pay extra at the supermarkets and department stores when they go to a cashier to ring up their merchandise?

People have two choices when shopping either go to the self check which is do it yourself or go the cashier who does it for you.

Wouldn’t that be the choice of the retailer?
Are you thinking it will be a law, like the new bag law? Doubtful.
No idea if this is a trend for national grocery store chains.

Old 04-25-2022, 09:30 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,101,447 times
Why would this be a NJ State issue? Or are you trying to paint NJ in a certain light?

Old 04-25-2022, 09:35 AM

10,482 posts, read 6,999,249 times
The reason why retailers moved over bag your own is because of Murphy's minimum wage requirements makes it cost ineffective to have cashiers anymore. As minimum wage requirement continue to go up the next few years, I surely see this as plausible.

Old 04-25-2022, 09:43 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,546,961 times
thin ice....

Old 04-25-2022, 10:00 AM

2,666 posts, read 1,185,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Wouldn’t that be the choice of the retailer?
Are you thinking it will be a law, like the new bag law? Doubtful.
No idea if this is a trend for national grocery store chains.
Hmm not sure. It may just be that stores want people to do it themselves now. It seems to be a trend that I see more now. I don't know how it would be a law. I prefer people be permitted to choose what they want and not be charged extra.

I started using my own bags when Covid-19 first came out and wiped them down when I got him. I stll use them and I much prefer my own. Except when I stop in at the store and forgot to put my bags back in my car then I can't stop off at the store anymore unless it's for something small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Why would this be a NJ State issue? Or are you trying to paint NJ in a certain light?
In all honesty I think I am doing both, sort of. I trying to understand why people want to ring their own and don't complain the others prefer a cashier. I'm sure some people on the site know what I'm talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
The reason why retailers moved over bag your own is because of Murphy's minimum wage requirements makes it cost ineffective to have cashiers anymore. As minimum wage requirement continue to go up the next few years, I surely see this as plausible.
So take away jobs. People warned raising the minimum wage would cause people to lose their jobs and sure enough that is what is happening. I suppose he doesn't care since our President Biden or Governor Murphy will allow them Government Assistance, unemployment, and so on. We will all end up paying more in the long run. Then why not stop having all services? like cut down on waiters, waitresses and just have one who stands there to refill the buffet style diner. There are places that do that when a large group go out for a special dinner. No more waitresses bringing the food to the tables. Now it's one room buffet and the customers bring their plate of food to their table.

Old 04-25-2022, 10:13 AM

5,153 posts, read 3,760,274 times
Government assistance ? Like the $500 a month Canada pays?

Old 04-25-2022, 10:32 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,101,447 times
You are acting like we are the only state with self checkout lanes....

Keep in mind, NJ is one of the few states that DO NOT have self serve gas... So I don't really get the point.

Old 04-25-2022, 10:40 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
You are acting like we are the only state with self checkout lanes....
+1
And, while they seem to be increasing exponentially, they have existed in some stores for about a decade.

Old 04-25-2022, 10:59 AM

1,146 posts, read 860,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post

I never heard of having to pay more if you choose to go on a cashier line. Obviously this would be an individual store decision. Is there a store that is currently practicing this policy or is this just a drama post?

Regarding self checkout lines, of course this eliminates jobs, which is a bad thing. My wife won't even use self checkout because there is often an issue such as the computer freezing or requiring an employee to scan their own key anyway. Self checkout can make life easier if you only have a couple items and want to get in and out fast, but normally we need an employee to assist at some point for larger grocery purchases. There are more cons than pros for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey