Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 07:29 AM

1,308 posts, read 4,607,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
No, it's the truth. You might be an exception or you might have been priced low and still came off your asking price. What I posted is accurate.
I read the thread wrong it said past two months I thought two years I sild last August. Now no I wouldnt get what I got I made it just in time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 09:01 AM

526 posts, read 1,387,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plshelp View Post
Just wondering. How many of you out there either bought or sold their home in the last 2 months and where and about what price range? We're trying to sell our house with no luck, there has been hardly any traffic. Should I just consider taking it off the market?

we're located in watchung, price million plus, on the market for about a month
Do you need to move, or do you just want to move? It is unlikely that the market will be any better this time next year. The next upturn in the market is projected to start in Mid 2010 but with the economy going into recession that could change as well. If you are trying to get 2006 prices for your home you likely will be waiting until 2015 at this point.

It is a buyers market, That means that there are very few buyers out there. on top of that the segment of the market that is selling the best happens to be sub 500K right now. If you are just out there hoping to get your price, with no real need to move, you are likely waisting your time.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:09 AM

1,289 posts, read 6,080,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marye711 View Post
Now that is untrue, we sold our within 90 days and got almost the asking price. There were two bids actually.
I agree because if the house sells then the price was most likely accurate and the sellers were right on the market. Now of course there are exceptions to this rule because some sellers give their home away but those are FEW and FAR between. I would actually love for someone to show me a few of those as I have a ton of money to invest.

Now unfortunately they will be uncomfortable but that is just something they will have to get used to because today, in order to sell a house, you must be priced aggressive. Housing prices doubling in the last three to four years is unheard of and I do not feel sorry for people that are complaining about making only $150,000 profit versus $160,000. That is where greed takes over. People do not realize that the longer they stay on the market, the more it costs them due to mortgage payments, taxes, maintenance fees and more. Take the 2% lower offer, and be happy.

Last edited by DodgeViper01; 05-23-2008 at 09:19 AM..

Old 05-23-2008, 10:30 AM

1,552 posts, read 4,619,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
The only houses that sell in the first 90 days are the ones where the seller is uncomfortable with the price. That's the bottom line.
The only fair price for a house is one in which both the buyer and the seller feel somewhat uncomfortable.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:00 PM

786 posts, read 2,654,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeViper01 View Post
Take the 2% lower offer, and be happy.
There is no way I would buy a home in today's market that's only 2% of the OLP, even if that home is priced well (near market value). Before you close, you already have lost equity on the thing

Right now, lowballing at 10% and more is the way to go, and I'm prepared to go 20% or more below...I have nothing to lose because we don't have to move soon - I'm one of those buyers from hell

Old 05-23-2008, 01:13 PM

23,789 posts, read 33,241,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plshelp View Post
Just wondering. How many of you out there either bought or sold their home in the last 2 months and where and about what price range? We're trying to sell our house with no luck, there has been hardly any traffic. Should I just consider taking it off the market?

we're located in watchung, price million plus, on the market for about a month
What you might want to do is get feedback on your listing. Send me a DM, I will give you a link to a board I go to where you can get great feedback.

I'm familiar with Watchung, my family owns the Delta station (lease it out), my dad's owned it since the late 60's. Watchung is a beautiful town, one that holds a lot of memories for me. The last time I was there was for the tree dedication in 2006, they were honoring my dad. I love how the town has a lot of community features.

Things to consider - your agent - do they have enhanced (multiple photo) listings on realtor.com? Do you have a virtual tour? How many photos does your agent have up? There is a thing as too little and too many. I as a buyer usually like 8 to 12. Anything more and I really don't need to walk your house as I've seen it online.

Have you checked your competition? Do you currently watch the local market to see if you are priced correctly?

Did you stage the house? Is there a lot of clutter in the photos?
Are the photos good / clear, with decent light? Look at your photos like you are a buyer, would you buy the house with the photos shown?

It's a brutal market & if you do not have to sell, stay put.
As a seller I did what ever I could, made my own fliers with a lot of good info suck as years we replaced things like the roof, AC, furnace.
Did you claim your house on zillow.com? Did you get decent comps there? List your agent as a contact?
Have you tried posting your house on craigslists?

Old 05-23-2008, 02:06 PM

1,552 posts, read 4,619,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Send me a DM, I will give you a link to a board I go to where you can get great feedback.
What's the link? I'm sure others would be interested in it as well.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:28 PM

23,789 posts, read 33,241,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
What's the link? I'm sure others would be interested in it as well.
I can't add it here as it is considered a forum and competition. If you'd like the link DM me.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:04 PM

432 posts, read 1,873,657 times
Bergenfield, $275,000 cape. Under contract in 3 weeks. Expect to close mid June.

Old 05-24-2008, 02:40 AM

1,289 posts, read 6,080,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalim2008 View Post
There is no way I would buy a home in today's market that's only 2% of the OLP, even if that home is priced well (near market value). Before you close, you already have lost equity on the thing

Right now, lowballing at 10% and more is the way to go, and I'm prepared to go 20% or more below...I have nothing to lose because we don't have to move soon - I'm one of those buyers from hell
haha, of course. All depends on the list prices but overall everyone is lowballing now. Sometimes you can get a good deal. Client purchased a home in Lighthouse Bay (waterfront community) in South Amboy a while back for a SIGNIFICANT discount. They made an instant $100,000!! I wish there were more deals like that around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey