Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2022, 08:49 AM

1 posts, read 2,451 times

Advertisements

Hi all, my partner and I are looking at a house in the Anona area of USR. I was wondering if anything knew about this area in particular (theres an HOA with a private lake and pavilion).

Also, I've heard rumblings of the Hasidic community from Rockland coming into northern Bergen. Is this a concern in USR? Or would the property taxes likely prevent them from coming in.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2022, 09:39 AM

962 posts, read 540,613 times
A lot of towns in that area got into hot water trying to stop eruvs from being put on utility poles. They sued for religious discrimination and won, but if I were you, I would not worry too much about the Hasidic community doing to USR what it did to Rockland. USR is too wealthy, and the zoning prevents Hasidics from building dense, low cost housing. Towns like Montvale, Park Ridge, and Mahwah would be the canaries in the coal mine.

EDIT: My wife grew up in USR, close to Anona Lake. It is a very affluent, very nice place to live. Low property taxes, but no street lights, no sidewalks, no public water, no public sewer. That might be exactly what you're looking for, but it isn't for everyone.

Last edited by midnight_thunder; 05-03-2022 at 09:42 AM.. Reason: adding comments

Old 05-04-2022, 10:58 AM

973 posts, read 1,409,624 times
The Hasidic community is really only in one town in Rockland, and they have a lot of room yet still to grow within that town. Would not worry too much about expansion outside of that town.

Old 05-04-2022, 06:29 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,763,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 987ABC View Post
The Hasidic community is really only in one town in Rockland, and they have a lot of room yet still to grow within that town. Would not worry too much about expansion outside of that town.
You are using “town” in the weird way NY does. NY considers “Ramapo” one town, but it’s really what NJ people would consider about a dozen towns

Ramapo is split into two school districts. The eastern district is extremely Hasidic (27k students attending private Hasidic schooling, 10k in public schools). The western district (Suffern, Sloatsburg, Hillburn, and Airmont) is much more traditional.

That said, I agree they aren’t coming into Bergen. It’s built out and too expensive. They seem to be heading west, away from the city into Orange and Sullivan county.

Old 05-09-2022, 07:36 AM

973 posts, read 1,409,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
You are using “town” in the weird way NY does. NY considers “Ramapo” one town, but it’s really what NJ people would consider about a dozen towns

Ramapo is split into two school districts. The eastern district is extremely Hasidic (27k students attending private Hasidic schooling, 10k in public schools). The western district (Suffern, Sloatsburg, Hillburn, and Airmont) is much more traditional.

That said, I agree they aren’t coming into Bergen. It’s built out and too expensive. They seem to be heading west, away from the city into Orange and Sullivan county.
Everything said here is correct, but it doesn't contradict my post (sorry if that was not your intention). The Town of Ramapo is huge. Most of it has a ton of growth potential for the hasidm and orthodox. That is where local growth is going, in addition to Orange and Sullivan as you have said. The main point is that they are not bursting at the seams desperate to move into a place like Bergen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: