U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 06:36 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,173,308 times

Advertisements

I was an Oct baby and at first my mom fought tooth and nail to get me in to no avail. Later, it was to my benefit. I was a leader, not a follower. We are talking many, many moons ago. LOL!

Shanny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 06:42 PM

11,698 posts, read 21,575,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannybannany View Post
I was an Oct baby and at first my mom fought tooth and nail to get me in to no avail. Later, it was to my benefit. I was a leader, not a follower. We are talking many, many moons ago. LOL!

Shanny
it was calendar year when i went to school - all my friends were born in the fall/winter - i was one of the oldest with an August birthday! I even have a friend who was in our grade who had a January birthday of the next year, her parents had no problems getting her in.

i never noticed, growing up, a difference in size/leadership between those born earlier in the year rather than later - especially as we got older.

i've posted this a zillion times, but my kids are nearly the youngest in their grade with May birthdays. the holding back "just because" has really gotten out of control, IMHO. pretty soon you'll have 20 year old graduating from HS!

Old 05-25-2008, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
it was calendar year when i went to school - all my friends were born in the fall/winter - i was one of the oldest with an August birthday! I even have a friend who was in our grade who had a January birthday of the next year, her parents had no problems getting her in.

i never noticed, growing up, a difference in size/leadership between those born earlier in the year rather than later - especially as we got older.

i've posted this a zillion times, but my kids are nearly the youngest in their grade with May birthdays. the holding back "just because" has really gotten out of control, IMHO. pretty soon you'll have 20 year old graduating from HS!

Tahiti,
It sounds like you had a good experience. I taught kindergarten and "overall", it made a huge difference.

Shanny

Old 05-25-2008, 07:23 PM

11,698 posts, read 21,575,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannybannany View Post
Tahiti,
It sounds like you had a good experience. I taught kindergarten and "overall", it made a huge difference.

Shanny
as a teacher, i don't doubt you see a difference....but aren't you going to see a difference no matter when the cutoff is? you're dealing with a 12 month span (well, since parents hold back more now-a-days it's 14-15mos) , whether it's Jan-Dec, Oct-Sep, KWIM?

i also find it interesting that there's sort of a "backlash" about parenting now - we coddle our kids too much, we put too much emphasis on the "individuality" of the child, every child is "special", children need to "express themselves", that sort of thing. but ironically enough, we accept and encourage holding kids back, and a lot of times, it's to counteract parents who hold johnny back because they don't want him to be the smallest. i said half jokingly that pretty soon 20 yr olds will be graduating from HS, but part of me wasn't kidding! LOL

i could've easily held my 2 back, hell, they were prime candidates: preemies, one on the smaller side, not at the top of their class, and BOYS. but you know what? someone's gotta be the youngest, and they did have the social thing down. i couldn't imagine them today being in a grade behind where they are. i still maintain *strongly* that all of this levels out around 3rd grade. noone can say with any certainty, as a whole, that the top 10 academic kids in the class are the oldest, nor are the top 10 "leaders" the oldest. that's my story and i'm sticking to it!

disclaimer: i'm not talking about children who obviously need an extra year, whether for academics or some other diagnosed reason. i'm talking about normal, average children who are held back for sports, size, whatever.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:35 PM

Yes...I do see your point. I also agree with you about the leveling-off period at about 3rd grade. However, some children (and yes, I will say boys) have a very hard time at the 4-5 year old age. I know this doesn't sound academic but I refer to it as, "The ants in your pants syndrome."

My point for me was...I was well past the Oct 1st deadline but my mother thought I was ready (I think SHE was ready) for me to start school. Since I HAD to wait, I was much better off in the long run.

Again...there was no choice..I HAD to wait.

Shanny

Last edited by shannybannany; 05-25-2008 at 08:01 PM..

Old 05-25-2008, 09:21 PM

992 posts, read 2,351,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
Some parents will hold back a child (usually a boy) so he will be bigger and more mature in middle/high school for purposes of making the various sports teams. When a township sees a trend like this, they start taking remedial measures. However, some parents honestly don't think their child (usually a boy) is ready for school when the township says they are. A quandry.

My son was a knucklehead, and the school district agreed!

Now he's really going to be bigger and more mature in HS since he's a 70 lb Kindergardener.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:20 PM

1,048 posts, read 3,225,518 times
Quote:
noone can say with any certainty, as a whole, that the top 10 academic kids in the class are the oldest, nor are the top 10 "leaders" the oldest. that's my story and i'm sticking to it!
First, let me say that based on my knowledge and experience, leadership qualities tend to be more personality based than age based. I've seen my 3 year old boss around 5 year olds.

I'll also chime in as a teacher...although not a kindergarten teacher; I agree with you tahiti. You are talking a 12 month span regardless of the cut off. If we were to change kindergarten entry age to 6 then would everyone be ready? Or, better yet, require all 3 and 4 year olds to attend pre-K which definitely helps all children with the social development.

My 3 year olds birthday is in November. I am pretty sure by Sept. 2009 she will be ready for Kindergarten but she misses the cutoff. So I can either put her into a private school or wait a year. My concern is that she may be bored with an additional year of pre-k. I'll have to wait and see but I would much prefer the idea of evaluation vs. age based.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:44 PM

I cannot speak for every program but I also taught Pre-K. We adjusted the curriculum so one would not be bored but very challenged. It was a case by case basis.

Shanny

Old 06-06-2008, 11:18 PM

87 posts, read 268,698 times
My son's birthday is October 1st and that is the cut-off date in Hillsborough. I did send him at 4 turning 5 and I'm so so so happy we did. He's in the gifted program here and very bored, he would have gone nuts if we held him back. My daughter's birthday is September 6th. She is not as apparently ready for kindergarten as he was at the same age, but we still planned to send her, here in NJ. Now there is a possibility we may move to Houston and I was so upset to learn that the cutoff is Sept. 1st mostly because she was very excited to be starting Kindergarten this year. In her case, I could see where she might benefit from the maturity of the extra year. In his case, it would have been terrible. I believe decisions should be made based on the child.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:45 PM

70,148 posts, read 60,913,797 times
Quote:
disclaimer: i'm not talking about children who obviously need an extra year, whether for academics or some other diagnosed reason. i'm talking about normal, average children who are held back for sports, size, whatever.
I agree. I think the kids should go to K when the district says they can. Obviously, it's not the exact cut-off date that's important, as dates vary from Sept. 1 to Dec. 31. But it would be very difficult to teach a group of kids at these ages particularly who are 15 months apart in age. Also, it's hard for the "accelerated" kids who are younger to fit in developmentally. The kids may seem very social, but get them in a group of older kids and they can be very different.

I have seen this personally. My DD had a friend who was moved up. Her birthday is Oct. 15 and the cut-off here in CO is Sept. 30, so she was only two weeks younger than the youngest "legal" kindergartner. As she went on in school, her maturity level or lack thereof, became obvious. By middle school she was saying she felt "dumb", and by HS she was running with a wild crowd, possibly to prove she was as cool as the others. It gets harder as the ability to think abstractly becomes more imortant. This is just one example, but I know a few others as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey