Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2022, 07:12 AM

10,720 posts, read 23,625,739 times

Advertisements

I'll be spending four nights and five days next week on vacation in New Jersey and I'll be bringing a young beagle with me. She's high energy and needs lots of exercise, so I'm researching all the best places to bring a dog for long walks and recreation.

Most of my time will be spent on the shore (Asbury Park/Ocean Grove/Toms River/Ocean City) and I know that most beaches have restrictions and do not allow dogs on the beach. But I also noticed there are some exceptions and it looks like Island Beach State Park is the best option and plenty room for exercise (on leash of course). In looking at various city & town websites I'm trying to understand where and when dogs are permitted. I see Asbury Park allows dogs on a certain section after 6:00 PM and before 8:30 AM, and Longport has a specific dog beach open in the summer. Seems most others only allow dogs on the beach off season October to May.

On the way out we'll probably stop at High Point State Park for a hike. Just seeking out some suggestions for the best places in the state on the shore and elsewhere where dog owners like to spend time with their pups in the Garden State. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2022, 07:58 AM

9,976 posts, read 6,577,705 times
Asbury Park will let you have dogs on the boardwalk, however most boardwalks (some recently) stopped allowing dogs during season.

I do know many shoretowns on the bayside have dog parks on the bay water, which I know isnt the same. Its also just a dog park, so you couldnt sit and lay out.

We did a shore vacation last year and had to leave our small dog back in the room during the day while we went to the beach.

In for following this thread, because there has to be a dog friendly beach somewhere being that 1/3rd of Jerseyans have a dog.

Old 08-25-2022, 08:54 AM

1,379 posts, read 1,718,046 times
Asbury Park allows them on a specific part of the beach before 8 am and after 6 pm during the summer season. Wildwood allows them on their part of the beach 24 hours a day. Those are the two best options for ocean beaches during the summer.

Old 08-25-2022, 09:13 AM

2,729 posts, read 6,089,728 times
Bring her to Yappy Hour! https://nypost.com/2022/08/23/nj-bar...rs-yappy-hour/

Old 08-25-2022, 10:56 AM

11,969 posts, read 7,709,784 times
NJ isn't the most dog friendly state I have lived in. I have a Shepherd/Coonhound mix.

However, Yappy Hour in Asbury Park is great.

I bring my dog to Island Beach State Park too. I go about halfway down the island.. perfect for the pup. Be careful of the rip tides though.

Right at the edge of Island Beach State Park there is a restaurant called Bum Rogers Crab House & Tavern, which has its own Dog Menu for food. I go here a lot and they are great with my happy-go-lucky dog.
Seafood Restaurant and Bar | Seaside Park & Seaside Heights, NJ | Bum Rogers Crabhouse

Overall, Asbury Park and Island Beach are the best places I have been to for my dog.

Old 08-25-2022, 05:59 PM

18,827 posts, read 13,715,156 times
Doesn't Sandy Hook allow dogs on the bay side?

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 08-26-2022, 06:59 AM

10,720 posts, read 23,625,739 times
Yappy Hour looks awesome! I'm really digging that. I was in Asbury Park and Ocean Grove back in the spring but the weather was crumby and I wanted to go back and spend more time there eventually. Looks like it's good base to be at for people and pups alike. Looking forward to getting back to that area.

For a day at the beach, I'm thinking Island Beach State Park for the win. I love seeing undeveloped shore on barrier islands and it looks like a gorgeous beach. Wildwood seems like a decent option, though I'm not sure if I'll make it that far down the shore. I'll keep an open mind to that option and possibly a good long walk around Cape May.

Old 08-26-2022, 08:58 AM

2,729 posts, read 6,089,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
Yappy Hour looks awesome! I'm really digging that. I was in Asbury Park and Ocean Grove back in the spring but the weather was crumby and I wanted to go back and spend more time there eventually. Looks like it's good base to be at for people and pups alike. Looking forward to getting back to that area.

For a day at the beach, I'm thinking Island Beach State Park for the win. I love seeing undeveloped shore on barrier islands and it looks like a gorgeous beach. Wildwood seems like a decent option, though I'm not sure if I'll make it that far down the shore. I'll keep an open mind to that option and possibly a good long walk around Cape May.
Sandy Hook is a lot like Island Beach, if it's closer you might want to go there. Dogs are allowed on the bay side year round. There is also a place called Moby's right before you go over the bridge to Sandy Hook. It's a casual fish shack type place. Raw bar, fried fish, cold beer. The seating is all out on a deck overlooking the water and in my opinion the best view in the world. Very dog friendly! They sell ice cream too and I'm pretty sure they have a dog friendly treat there as well.

Old 08-26-2022, 12:38 PM

87,960 posts, read 83,789,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
I'll be spending four nights and five days next week on vacation in New Jersey and I'll be bringing a young beagle with me. She's high energy and needs lots of exercise, so I'm researching all the best places to bring a dog for long walks and recreation.

Most of my time will be spent on the shore (Asbury Park/Ocean Grove/Toms River/Ocean City) and I know that most beaches have restrictions and do not allow dogs on the beach. But I also noticed there are some exceptions and it looks like Island Beach State Park is the best option and plenty room for exercise (on leash of course). In looking at various city & town websites I'm trying to understand where and when dogs are permitted. I see Asbury Park allows dogs on a certain section after 6:00 PM and before 8:30 AM, and Longport has a specific dog beach open in the summer. Seems most others only allow dogs on the beach off season October to May.

On the way out we'll probably stop at High Point State Park for a hike. Just seeking out some suggestions for the best places in the state on the shore and elsewhere where dog owners like to spend time with their pups in the Garden State. Thank you!
Re Asbury Park, you have to check out the Wonder Bar for "Yappy Hour" I went to the wedding of one of the bartenders there a few years ago. His best man was a dog, as were two of his wife's bridesmaids. She had a human one, too, (her daughter, I think) because the dogs couldn't hold her bouquet. But the Best Dog had the rings in a box tied to his collar.

https://wonderbarasburypark.com/

Old 08-26-2022, 01:54 PM

9,976 posts, read 6,577,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
Sandy Hook is a lot like Island Beach, if it's closer you might want to go there. Dogs are allowed on the bay side year round. There is also a place called Moby's right before you go over the bridge to Sandy Hook. It's a casual fish shack type place. Raw bar, fried fish, cold beer. The seating is all out on a deck overlooking the water and in my opinion the best view in the world. Very dog friendly! They sell ice cream too and I'm pretty sure they have a dog friendly treat there as well.
How are the fly's on the bayside. In years past, the fly's from the bay would be on the beach if the wind was blowing that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey