U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 08:13 AM

6 posts, read 88,384 times

Advertisements

We saw a house we fell in love with in North Plainfield it is about 1 mile to the train station. Is the neighborhood safe? I was looking over the crime statistics and was more than a bit discouraged. But i'd love to hear from people that live there what they think.

Also do you commute from from the Plainfield train station? If so what is that like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 08:51 AM

786 posts, read 2,287,673 times
We lived in North Plainfield (Rock Ave, close to the Pathmark/Kmart). As far as I know it was pretty ok. We used to walk at night to the Pathmark and the Asian Food Center, and the public library was small but very comfy and nice. I also used to drive around looking for old Supras and Landcruisers in the neighborhood (this was when Fast and Furious came out), and so I became acquainted with the surrounding neighborhood, including Plainfield.

Note though that this is a lower-income area, so if you're not comfortable with more down to earth people then you might want to look elsewhere. One big positive is that the stores tended to be much cheaper than elsewhere (e.g. grocery shopping), and you could never beat the prices of the gas stations in rt 22 in that area....

In the end, you should visit the area often and walk around to see whether it's what you want.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:00 AM

I am from Brooklyn down to earth people are fine. I have been living in a diverse neighborhood for 15 years. My question is about crime. Thanks.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:00 AM

1,042 posts, read 3,494,515 times
Try looking North of Rt 22 ( Watchung border) there are some decent homes in that area of North Plainfield at reasonable prices. There is a home there in absolute move in condition with many updates. DM me for more info...

Old 05-26-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningbelle1 View Post
I am from Brooklyn down to earth people are fine. I have been living in a diverse neighborhood for 15 years. My question is about crime. Thanks.
if you look at stats from 2003, north plainfield actually is fairly ok, much better than cities, almost as good as towns like Cranford.

crime rate per capita (times the national average)

murder: no murders
rape: 1.42
robbery: 0.69
aggravated assault: 0.28
all violent crimes: 0.51
burglary: 0.72
theft: 0.54
car theft: 0.57
all property crimes: 0.58

by comparison, camden:

murder: 6.69
rape: 1.92
robbery: 4.88
assault: 3.38
all violent crame: 4.42
burglary: 2.14
theft: 1.12
car theft: 2.39
arson: 8.46
all property crimes: 1.49

by comparison, cranford:

murder: no murders
rape: 0.84
robbery: 0.06
aggravated assault: 0.11
all violent crimes: 0.14
burglary: 0.24
theft: 0.35
car theft: 0.13
all property crimes: 0.30

Old 05-26-2008, 02:53 PM

thanks. I would love to hear from people who actually live there now and see how they like it.

Old 05-26-2008, 03:22 PM

239 posts, read 1,018,003 times
I don't live in North Plainfield but my mother and sister do (near Rock Ave/Greenbrook Road/22) and it is very safe, lots of nice kids and parents at the playground at the local park, a great parade on the 4th of July. Super close to all kinds of shopping on 22. I don't really know of a train station in North Plainfield, though there is one in Dunellen nearby. I think North Plainfield is affordable, pleasant, great value for the money--not sure about the schools--elementary schools are supposedly good but questionable middle school/high school level.

I grew up in Plainfield, do you mean Netherwood train Station in Plainfield? That might be the Sleepy Hollow section of Plainfield (North Plainfield is a separate town). I lived in that area as a child, charming houses, adorable neighborhoods. Unfortunately the schools in Plainfield are not
that good at any level. There is a lot of crime in Plainfield. I have a friend who is a police officer and Plainfield--I asked him if it was really true about the crime or if it was exaggerated. He said it was really true that it was horrible. But the safest area was in that Sleepy Hollow area.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:14 PM

Thank you very much . This is not Sleepy Hollow. Can you ask your friend how it is over on Myrtle? I think where i am looking is considered the Washington Park historic district and i am on the very edge on it. The train stop is actually the Plainfield stop and it is a mile from the house. Are either Dunellen or Netherwood better stops? I don't think i am anywhere near Rock Ave.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:31 PM

604 posts, read 2,604,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio M View Post
Try looking North of Rt 22 ( Watchung border) there are some decent homes in that area of North Plainfield at reasonable prices. There is a home there in absolute move in condition with many updates. DM me for more info...
I agree stay North of rt 22 if you are going to buy in North Plainfield, as far away from Plainfield as possible.
I moved away from the Rock Ave area over 20 years ago because of break-ins in the neighborhood. I can't imagine it has gotten any better in 20 years.

E

Old 05-26-2008, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emanon View Post
I agree stay North of rt 22 if you are going to buy in North Plainfield, as far away from Plainfield as possible.
I moved away from the Rock Ave area over 20 years ago because of break-ins in the neighborhood. I can't imagine it has gotten any better in 20 years.

E
Yeah, we were actually north of 22 on rock avenue, across from the pathmark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or