Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2022, 02:19 PM

20 posts, read 36,862 times

Advertisements

We all know house prices will likely only go down from here, and while no one has a crystal ball, I’m looking for perspectives/opinions from long time NJ natives or folks more plugged in to local politics than I about towns to move to that are likely to remain desirable and retain a decent value.

My husband and I moved to a certain Monmouth County town in 2012 knowing nothing about the area (he’s from north Jersey and I’m from Long Island). Due to changes here, we feel pressure to move very soon before the neighborhood degrades, home values in our neighborhood plummet, and before we’re likely to disrupt our small children’s’ lives too much with a move.

We moved to our current town for a decent sized family home at a great price after looking at many parts of Middlesex and Monmouth counties. While we do have a much larger budget for a home now, we’re not wanting to become “house poor” and trying to be mindful of keeping taxes on the lower side and home price under $900k. We’re not afraid of renovations and feel Colts Neck or Holmdel would be a great investment if we could find an older property with good bones, but with inventory so low, we’re looking to expand our search. Not sure what the future holds for Freehold Township, Manalapan, Marlboro, and Morganville, but they’d be contenders if outside forces don’t change the landscape too much. That’s where your inside info and perspectives could help!

We’ve also started looking at towns like Millstone and Monroe. Can’t go too far outside Monmouth because we have family that moved to be close to us in recent years and don’t want to totally desert them. Any guidance on towns to pursue searches in that are peaceful, family-friendly, and likely to remain desirable for years to come would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2022, 02:47 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,116,345 times
If it's just about property value I can't see Colts Neck, Holmdel or Millstone dropping. Crime is on the rise in Colts Neck and Holmdel and I don't think there's going to be anything that stops it. I don't know about the schools in Millstone. My friend moved from there recently and it's beautiful, but her kids went to Catholic school.

Old 09-20-2022, 03:10 PM

Thank you! Yes, retaining value is a big concern because we know we’re going to be overspending as it is if we’re moving soon. But we do care about being in a place where schools are good, people are more welcoming than cliquey (if possible), and of course finding a good size home and property that we’ll be happy in for many years to come since we don’t want to be moving again before our little ones finish high school.

Very much appreciate your perspective on CN, Holmdel, and Millstone having good staying power. Any thoughts or intel on the other towns mentioned?

Old 09-20-2022, 03:36 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,630,083 times
I’m not convinced prices will go down by any significant amount. Can’t think of too many people who would sell their house with a 3% mortgage to go buy a new one with a 6% mortgage.

Old 09-20-2022, 03:54 PM

Yeah unfortunately we’re in the boat of having to trade mortgage rates in that direction. Not happy about that.

Let’s take home values out of the equation for a moment though. I’d love perspectives on peoples’ quality of life in the towns were tossing around as well. How content are you if you live in one of these towns?. I’m also curious about whether people know of any factors that would disrupt reputation or desirability of these towns in the next ten years or so. Overbuilding, over crowding, schools, general behavior of people who tend to reside there, etc.

Old 09-20-2022, 06:44 PM

444 posts, read 316,923 times
I agree with HudCo regarding home values due to what they said plus the high cost of new builds keeping inventory low for a while. I don’t agree that prices will only “likely go down”.

Old 09-20-2022, 07:21 PM

Ok, thanks. Regardless of prices, the info I’m really looking for is what towns are likely to remain desirable places to live. Of the towns I mentioned, I’m curious if anyone has concerns about them changing for the worse over the coming decade.

Old 09-20-2022, 07:24 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,630,083 times
I don’t know much at all about the towns you mentioned. I’ve always assumed that suburbs in NJ always stayed the same or improved, and only cities go from good to bad (high crime). I’m sure there are exceptions, but I can’t think of any or perhaps I’m just not old enough to have seen the changes. Curious for other folks to chime in

Old 09-21-2022, 07:49 AM

10,434 posts, read 6,954,235 times
I think the OP is referring to demographic changes with the invasion of illegals. What towns will not have the issue?

Old 09-21-2022, 10:20 AM

332 posts, read 521,893 times
Maybe OP should be more clear about exactly why their neighborhood is on the precipice of "degrading." Otherwise it makes zero sense to move towns just because you have a hunch that home values in one town might hold of better than another town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey