Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 04:31 PM

1 posts, read 5,794 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm from upstate NY and just got a job in midtown. Am thinking of moving to Hoboken but am also open to areas around the other PATH stops (Grove, Journal Sq).

What is your opinion on which PATH stop is the safest, considering I won't have a car?

I've read that in Hoboken, I should stay south of 10th and east of Harrison. Any such tips for the Journal Square and Grove areas?

Single 25 year old female.

Thanks,
jen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 09:32 AM

138 posts, read 610,339 times
Anywhere in Hoboken is fine, except for the projects, which are all the way to the west. However, the further north you go (higher numbered streets), the farther your walk will be.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:37 AM

828 posts, read 3,137,695 times
Single 25 yr old female?
JC is not the choice.
Hoboken is a nice choice, but just so you know it is a bit expensive.
If you need to be as near to the PATH trains as possible then I would say Hoboken.
If you do not mind taking a bus to the PATH or the Light Rail then there are other choices.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:39 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by test4time View Post
Hi, I'm from upstate NY and just got a job in midtown. Am thinking of moving to Hoboken but am also open to areas around the other PATH stops (Grove, Journal Sq).

What is your opinion on which PATH stop is the safest, considering I won't have a car?

I've read that in Hoboken, I should stay south of 10th and east of Harrison. Any such tips for the Journal Square and Grove areas?

Single 25 year old female.

Thanks,
jen
You listed the three areas in the exact order of their desirability, Hoboken being the safest and most desirable and Journal Square being the least. I'd recommend Hoboken with no reservation. Grove Street is a bit cheaper than Hoboken, but a bit grittier too. I prefer the Grove St atmosphere over the polish of Hoboken, but I'm just strange like that. Journal Square is VERY gritty, dirty, and you must be very careful walking around at night (not to say you should be careful elsewhere). Journal Square is also more difficult to live in without a car. The only grocery stores in the neighborhood close at 8 PM, with only Rite Aid and the deli at the PATH station open 24 hours.

My recommendation: If it's in your budget, go with Hoboken. Otherwise, try for the Grove Street area.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:12 AM
ira

657 posts, read 3,930,263 times
The waterfront area of JC is also pretty safe. You can catch the PATH train right there at the Newport Station.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:21 AM

9 posts, read 28,968 times
I've lived within a 2-3 block area of both the grove and JSQ paths, and think Grove is better.. but again only within a 2-3 block radius.
If you're the get-home-by-9-PM-type, then it doesn't matter, since both the stations and the areas around it are pretty populated/active that time. If you're getting home later than that, Grove is good only within the 2-3 block radius I mentioned, JSQ is a little more seedier. Best to come and have a look with a friend at that time to get a feel for yourself.
Hope that helps.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:41 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,268,246 times
Anywhere near Grove Street is safe. The crime stats are identical to Hoboken's. But it is a bit cheaper, due to the fact that there are less restaurants/bars than in Hoboken...but there are still a lot, just not as much as Hoboken. I live a few blocks from Grove St Path...the neighborhood I live in is actually nicer than most parts of Hoboken (and people from Hoboken have told me that).

Either Hoboken or Downtown Jersey City (Grove/Newport/Exchange Place) are good choices, but Hoboken is slightly pricier due to Washington Street, which has all the nightlife.

Hoboken is more preppy and early to mid twenties. Downtown JC would probably be considered more "hipster" and artsy, and the crowd is more "30-something and older". I live Downtown JC and when people see me they probably think "yuppie", so I guess there are some "yuppies" in Downtown JC.

I enjoy some of the restaurants and bars in Hoboken, but I would not live there because the parking scenario is stuff that nightmares are made of. Also, I think Downtown JC has more to offer in terms of more Path stations, better parks (Liberty State Park) and better waterfront, and there are also lots of corporations n the waterfront which many Downtown residents simply walk to. It's more of a "real city" feel than Hoboken.

Hoboken has that "Disney Land city" feeling to it. It feels a little fabricated. It's filled with suburban kids who want to "live in the city". Nobody that lives there is "from" there. Generally, it's 24 year old guys/gals that frequent the bars there. Downtown Jersey City has a bit more of a mature crowd in the bars and restaurants...that's personally what I prefer. But again, both Hoboken and Downtown Jersey City are great locations. I hope this synopsis helps you in your decision!

Old 05-27-2008, 12:39 PM

828 posts, read 3,137,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post

Downtown JC has more to offer in terms of more Path stations, better parks (Liberty State Park)
Liberty State Park is downtown???
I thought that you told me a few weeks back that Pacific Ave was not downtown.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:14 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fischfan13 View Post
Liberty State Park is downtown???
I thought that you told me a few weeks back that Pacific Ave was not downtown.
Ah but with the wooden footbridge over the swamp at the end of Jersey Avenue you can get to LSP from Downtown while bypassing Lafayette altogether! So it's almost like LSP is an extension of downtown! lol

Old 05-27-2008, 04:15 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,268,246 times
Considering I can walk to Liberty State Park from my Van Vorst Park home in 5 minutes, I decided to include it in my analysis for Jen, the original poster. The only entrance to the park that I've ever taken (or even know of) is on Jersey Avenue, which is Downtown Jersey City.

Pacific Avenue is the spine of the Bergen-Lafayette neighborhood. That is an area that I would place in the "not-so-nice" category.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey