Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2022, 11:13 AM

512 posts, read 616,924 times

Advertisements

I am researching moving out of NYC and retiring to Princeton, NJ. I know Princeton is expensive but Princeton Community Village is a HUD subsidized senior apartment complex and I'm thinking of filling out an application there. My biggest concern: how walkable is Princeton, specifically to supermarkets, banks, drugstores, vets and public libraries. I've never driven and would have to relocate to someplace where I'm able to walk to those facilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2022, 01:05 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,717,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett2 View Post
I am researching moving out of NYC and retiring to Princeton, NJ. I know Princeton is expensive but Princeton Community Village is a HUD subsidized senior apartment complex and I'm thinking of filling out an application there. My biggest concern: how walkable is Princeton, specifically to supermarkets, banks, drugstores, vets and public libraries. I've never driven and would have to relocate to someplace where I'm able to walk to those facilities.
Princeton has a pretty impressive downtown core with most necessities walkable. However, the apartment complex you are referring to is in a location where it’s not really walkable to anything. It’s on the outskirts of Princeton. I don’t know, maybe they have a shuttle?

Real estate walkable to a good downtown, and especially Princeton’s with the university next to it, is too valuable. They would never put a subsidized apartment complex there. You will run into similar problems pretty much anywhere you look.

Old 10-22-2022, 01:36 PM

1,049 posts, read 531,882 times
Their website says:

“The Village” is located at Karl Light Boulevard off Bunn Drive at the top of the Princeton ridge and is nestled among the trees in a park-like setting. It is within walking distance to the Princeton Shopping Center. Public transportation is available from New Jersey Transit and the local FreeB bus."

But they could be exaggerating. [Like a building I am familiar with's website.]
Check out those claims.

https://www.pchhomes.org/princeton-community-village

Old 10-22-2022, 04:47 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,717,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehumidifier View Post
Their website says:

“The Village” is located at Karl Light Boulevard off Bunn Drive at the top of the Princeton ridge and is nestled among the trees in a park-like setting. It is within walking distance to the Princeton Shopping Center. Public transportation is available from New Jersey Transit and the local FreeB bus."

But they could be exaggerating. [Like a building I am familiar with's website.]
Check out those claims.

https://www.pchhomes.org/princeton-community-village
Yeah…if they count “walking distance” to be over a mile and to take you 25 minutes…which I do not.

Old 10-22-2022, 05:41 PM

50,092 posts, read 35,727,051 times
Quote:
Just do it well in advance, it could be years before there’s an opening. I have a patient now who lives in a very nice senior subsidized apartment in Ocean City, they look like townhouses. She told me it took five years before they got to her on the waitlist.

Old 10-22-2022, 06:58 PM

1,049 posts, read 531,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
Yeah…if they count “walking distance” to be over a mile and to take you 25 minutes…which I do not.
The website for this building in Keyport makes it sound like the train and ferry are real close. The bus that loops around town doesn't run as often as it says either.

https://oysterbayapts.com/senior-com...ransportation/

Old 10-22-2022, 07:51 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,002,625 times
Default retiring in Princeton

I had a young client (22) who lived in the townhomes in Princeton Village not the high rise apartment. That area of North Princeton is very scenic, lots of trees and huge boulders, it is on a ridge. Princeton Shopping Centre is about 1 mile away and has McCaffreys Market a very nice upscale grocery story, an Ace Hardware, PNC bank and several specialty shops. McCafreys has a pharmacy.

The walk to this shopping Centre is probably doable if you are in good shape but the walk back is uphill, a fairly steep uphill (The Ridge) and with packages might be a challenge. My 22 yo did it regularly but he was in shape and young!

Good news there is bus service: https://princetonnj.gov/1212/Princet...t-Bus-Schedule.

Princeton also has free bus service for everyone on Tiger Transit and the Free B bus.

The Library is on Witherspoon St in downtown Princeton, McCarter Theatre, the Art Centre of Princeton and the University. There is also the Dinky Train with service to Princeton Jct train to the NE corridor (NYC).

As mentioned the wait list for these places is usually years and Princeton is a desirable place to live but don't let that discourage you from applying, you never know!

Old 10-22-2022, 08:11 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,500,535 times
Quote:
The property you're considering is nowhere near downtown Princeton and public transportation is convenient in relative proportion to where you live on one of the bus lines.

There is A LOT of subsidized housing in Mercer County and most of them are on direct bus lines, a lot more convenient than the one you're looking at. Just go to apartments.com and select senior housing and you'll see.

Downtown Princeton is very walkable once you get there. I've lived here for 4 years. DM me if you want more info and good luck in your search.

Old 10-23-2022, 09:58 PM

146 posts, read 121,166 times
Quote:
This is the NJ forum.

Old 10-24-2022, 12:15 PM

512 posts, read 616,924 times
Default Retring to Princeton, NJ

Dear Bill Kidd:

I know this is the NJ forum. Last time I checked, Princeton IS in New Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey