Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2022, 10:52 AM

1 posts, read 3,288 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We might be moving to Kinnelon, NJ next year. Is there a bus service to midtown NY? How about catching a train? How is the frequency?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2022, 12:50 PM

19,113 posts, read 25,305,043 times
https://www.njtransit.com/trip-planner-to

Old 10-26-2022, 07:35 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,014,836 times
IMO, that commute would get old quickly. Especially if you don’t live in a part of town with easy access to 23 or 287. Might be more doable on a hybrid schedule though.

Old 10-27-2022, 06:45 AM

690 posts, read 584,136 times
DH carpools into city, east side. With meeting up at Vince Lombardi, takes on average an hour, give or take some days. . He does leave Kinnelon before 5am, and leaves city about 1:30.

Old 10-31-2022, 12:47 AM

862 posts, read 974,420 times
It's I guess doable but would be a long commute as Kinnelon is up there. I personally would think it's too far but people commute from the Poconos which I think is crazy far.

Old 10-31-2022, 09:27 AM

10,410 posts, read 6,946,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterchef1 View Post
It's I guess doable but would be a long commute as Kinnelon is up there. I personally would think it's too far but people commute from the Poconos which I think is crazy far.
Taking the bus from the Poconos surprisingly isn't that much longer than taking the train from many places. However, I'd assume you're much more limited in times. Most commutes into the City are miserable, you just learn to to deal with it.

Old 10-31-2022, 12:20 PM

213 posts, read 349,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Taking the bus from the Poconos surprisingly isn't that much longer than taking the train from many places. However, I'd assume you're much more limited in times. Most commutes into the City are miserable, you just learn to to deal with it.
Thats true if it is an express bus and one of the reason the Lakeland buses from Rockway malls (via Rt 80 express) are faster than the Lakeland buses from say Denville NJ which has multiple stops and goes via Rt 46.

From Kinnelon, i would say there are two options drive to Beverwyck Park and Ride in Parsippany NJ or Willowbrook mall Park and ride. Both are within 20 min, according to google maps, so add an hour to PABT and all other parts of the commute. Willowbrook mall to PABT might be faster than Beverwyck, but I have no personal experience riding from Willowbook mall. The other option is to drive to North Bergen Park and Ride and take a bus to PABT. Trains are all slow in my opinion, but I may be wrong.

Last edited by kosb; 10-31-2022 at 12:45 PM..

Old 10-31-2022, 01:04 PM

10,410 posts, read 6,946,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosb View Post
Thats true if it is an express bus and one of the reason the Lakeland buses from Rockway malls (via Rt 80 express) are faster than the Lakeland buses from say Denville NJ which has multiple stops and goes via Rt 46.

From Kinnelon, i would say there are two options drive to Beverwyck Park and Ride in Parsippany NJ or Willowbrook mall Park and ride. Both are within 20 min, according to google maps, so add an hour to PABT and all other parts of the commute. Willowbrook mall to PABT might be faster than Beverwyck, but I have no personal experience riding from Willowbook mall. The other option is to drive to North Bergen Park and Ride and take a bus to PABT. Trains are all slow in my opinion, but I may be wrong.

Just looked up bus routes out of curiosity from the Poconos and they are about ~2 hours (some shorter/longer). There is a catch though, the buses leave very early, most of them before 6am and the last one leaves Port Authority before 6pm.

Trains are slower in many cases, but there are more advantages such as space and more frequent and later times.

Old 10-31-2022, 02:27 PM

213 posts, read 349,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Just looked up bus routes out of curiosity from the Poconos and they are about ~2 hours (some shorter/longer). There is a catch though, the buses leave very early, most of them before 6am and the last one leaves Port Authority before 6pm.

Trains are slower in many cases, but there are more advantages such as space and more frequent and later times.
I was not specifically talking about buses from Poconos.. but I just checked the Martz bus schedule which runs from Poconos.. and if a person gets into one of the two buses in the morning from Panther Valley in NJ (which allegedly/supposedly had mountain lion sightings recently), it takes into PABT in 1 hr (54 miles from PABT)

https://martzbus.com/customer-notice-nyc-schedule/

Old 11-05-2022, 09:40 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,313,421 times
Default NJ Transit 194X Bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamGan View Post
Hi,
We might be moving to Kinnelon, NJ next year. Is there a bus service to midtown NY? How about catching a train? How is the frequency?
Thanks.
Great town! But forget the train.

Take NJ Transit Bus 194X. It's about an hour from Meadtown (Butler/Kinnelon) to NY Port Authority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey