Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 07:09 PM

29 posts, read 67,131 times

Advertisements

We bought a corn/pellet hybrid last year. It was a bit pricey ($3500) and the pellets are not cheap either, but it is quite a significant heat source (ours is pretty high BTU-wise). I do know that the type of pellets does matter and if they are cheap, you should probrably pass them by! The corn was obviously cheaper years back and I am sure that this year it will be quite expensive. I think as a long term investment it is certainly worth it. (BTW, the thermostat is a really nice addition to the whole thing too!) I would offer places to buy both, but I am "way down" in south jersey! Good Luck! (Osburn is our model and they have a web-site leading to dealers).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 07:14 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,604,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ2009 View Post
We bought a corn/pellet hybrid last year. It was a bit pricey ($3500) and the pellets are not cheap either, but it is quite a significant heat source (ours is pretty high BTU-wise). I do know that the type of pellets does matter and if they are cheap, you should probrably pass them by! The corn was obviously cheaper years back and I am sure that this year it will be quite expensive. I think as a long term investment it is certainly worth it. (BTW, the thermostat is a really nice addition to the whole thing too!) I would offer places to buy both, but I am "way down" in south jersey! Good Luck! (Osburn is our model and they have a web-site leading to dealers).
I'm not worried about the price of corn... I'm surrounded by it!

Old 07-31-2008, 07:41 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,669,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
what's the tax advantage Cu? I'm seriously looking at the corn burning insert for my fireplace. After all..I do live in corn country out here
HR 5351... Section 232! Its a tax deduction this year, up to a couple thou iirc, I'd have to pull up the bill to check though.

Just remember, if it does corn, it'll do pellets too

Old 07-31-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeLa View Post
did you find them at this price? where did you buy? any idea what their current prices are?

looking to get a few tons. thanks!
Corn seems to be still going around $200/ton, pellets $185-$250/ton. I'll DM you some info....

Old 08-01-2008, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
HR 5351... Section 232! Its a tax deduction this year, up to a couple thou iirc, I'd have to pull up the bill to check though.

There's a guy right in Johnsonburg that sells pellets..very convenient for me as well.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:38 AM

Quote:

couple thousand! I'm in! I may just go with the insert though...to much work trying to install a second furnace... retrofitting the duct work, etc.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
couple thousand! I'm in! I may just go with the insert though...to much work trying to install a second furnace... retrofitting the duct work, etc.
Sec. 232. Extension and modification of credit for nonbusiness energy property

(b) Qualified Biomass Fuel Property-

(1) IN GENERAL- Section 25C(d)(3) is amended--

(A) by striking `and' at the end of subparagraph (D),

(B) by striking the period at the end of subparagraph (E) and inserting `, and', and

(C) by adding at the end the following new subparagraph:

`(F) a stove which uses the burning of biomass fuel to heat a dwelling unit located in the United States and used as a residence by the taxpayer, or to heat water for use in such a dwelling unit, and which has a thermal efficiency rating of at least 75 percent.'.

(2) BIOMASS FUEL- Section 25C(d) (relating to residential energy property expenditures) is amended by adding at the end the following new paragraph:

`(6) BIOMASS FUEL- The term `biomass fuel' means any plant-derived fuel available on a renewable or recurring basis, including agricultural crops and trees, wood and wood waste and residues (including wood pellets), plants (including aquatic plants), grasses, residues, and fibers.'.

Exact amount hasn't been added in, but pellet stoves and similar items using renewable fuels have an increased credit over the previous year tax law, and iirc, it was recommended at $2000. Still not signed by the president and senate.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Sec. 232. Extension and modification of credit for nonbusiness energy property

(b) Qualified Biomass Fuel Property-

(1) IN GENERAL- Section 25C(d)(3) is amended--

(A) by striking `and' at the end of subparagraph (D),

(B) by striking the period at the end of subparagraph (E) and inserting `, and', and

(C) by adding at the end the following new subparagraph:

`(F) a stove which uses the burning of biomass fuel to heat a dwelling unit located in the United States and used as a residence by the taxpayer, or to heat water for use in such a dwelling unit, and which has a thermal efficiency rating of at least 75 percent.'.

(2) BIOMASS FUEL- Section 25C(d) (relating to residential energy property expenditures) is amended by adding at the end the following new paragraph:

`(6) BIOMASS FUEL- The term `biomass fuel' means any plant-derived fuel available on a renewable or recurring basis, including agricultural crops and trees, wood and wood waste and residues (including wood pellets), plants (including aquatic plants), grasses, residues, and fibers.'.

Exact amount hasn't been added in, but pellet stoves and similar items using renewable fuels have an increased credit over the previous year tax law, and iirc, it was recommended at $2000. Still not signed by the president and senate.
Hummm..food for thought!

Old 08-01-2008, 07:47 AM

210 posts, read 671,446 times
Quote:
Well, looking around, it seems to me (to use car terms), BMWs are $3500, the Kia or Hyundai runs around $1300.... I'm looking for the Honda or Toyota, I figure it should be around $1800ish.
You could by the "Dodge" and get free pellets for three years.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watamensch View Post
You could by the "Dodge" and get free pellets for three years.
ROFLMAO

Nicely done
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey