Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 05:58 AM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,875,844 times

Advertisements

We moved from NJ to SC - I lived in NJ my whole life. I miss it about everyday!

We do have a better quality of life, our new house is paid for, I don't have to work, I am home when my son gets home from school.

But there are days I want to go back so much, my husband always will say to me "what do you miss about NJ" - I tell him everything. I wonder if I did go back would I not want to be there then. My son also loves living down here. I always feel like one day I will go back to NJ!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 06:25 AM

1,308 posts, read 4,609,437 times
I feel bad for the op but I would stay where it was best for my child......I think in time you will learn to like it. good luck!

Old 05-29-2008, 07:02 AM

sorry just read you were there 5 years already........

Old 05-29-2008, 07:30 AM

1,507 posts, read 5,897,595 times
Lightbulb So sad

ohhh that was such a sad post OP You brought up memories of when I left NJ. Yes, I did come back b/c I was miserable. I tried it for 5 years. Florida.
I always said my HOME is NJ but I live in Florida. I really feel for you & I wish you all the best

Do whats best for you & your child. Look at the big picture.
Have some friends or family visit you. Make a new friend. Join a newcomers club/book club/walking club/gym/etc. Talk to your neighbors. Just don't start sayin Ya'll !!!

plus we're here if you need to talk

hugs from NJ

Old 05-29-2008, 07:36 AM

1,369 posts, read 4,628,999 times
I just moved back to NJ after being in California for 12 years. Every single time I tell someone that here they cannot believe that I left California for New Jersey. The thing is....It's my home and that is what makes me happy.

However....We do not have children so if your son is doing well there and you feel safe for him, maybe your sacrifice will be beneficial.

You sound very unselfish and it is a shame that you have to go through this.

Good luck to you!

Shanny

Old 05-29-2008, 07:55 AM

203 posts, read 851,107 times
It's hard to put this into words, but there's something about the mentality or the mindset of people here in the south that just doesn't click with me.
I'm kind of turned off by the prejudices and simplistic views.
I've endured way too many jokes about the 'damn Yankees'. I've been looked at sideways when I tell people that we're Catholic...this is Baptist bible belt country.
I don't want my son to grow up with prejudice.

That being said...I don't hate Richmond or the people here...it is what it is. Richmond is an old, mostly decaying city surrounded by areas of urban sprawl. There is a serious lack of things to do here. We had a minor league ball team, but they're leaving to move to Atlanta. If you're in to big fancy shopping malls and franchise restaurants...this is the place to be.
I do have a small bit of family here, which is why we came, but most of my family is back in Jersey. Also, my son is going to be starting middle school next year so I'm feeling like this is the time to go if we're going to go. I'm trying to make the right, unselfish decision. One question....can kids really be happy if their parents aren't? Not to say that I'm bordering on depression, I'm not for sure. But, I feel like the life has been drained out of me here.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:58 AM

203 posts, read 851,107 times
Thank you guys for your kind comments...

Old 05-29-2008, 07:59 AM

[. One question....can kids really be happy if their parents aren't? Not to say that I'm bordering on depression, I'm not for sure. But, I feel like the life has been drained out of me here.[/quote] Probably not but if you can afford to move back I say go for it........I dont know where to tell you in NJ cause I dont know if you work or not. I do feel very sorry for you I wish you the best. I visited there and I didnt care for it myself.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:37 AM

16,948 posts, read 12,498,269 times
NJ. One of the ultimate examples of "I EARN MUCH more than the average American and my lifestyle is much lower"

Shrug. Choices. Its not fun (I LOATHE renting but 3/1.5 house is out of budget until wife goes back to work) but I go by the motto "employed uber alles!"

Cash flow is (very slightly thanks to fuel) positive, I have health insurance, and thus far get to keep both jobs. I got up at 4:45 this morning. It hurts to get up that early. This is a WONDERFUL pain. I am still employed unlike many others now facing layoff.

Something stinks about everywhere.
Ohio lousy economy, winter
NJ cost, winter
FL massive generalized crime, summer

In the end raise your kids as best you can and call it a win if they get a real job and have a reasonable life.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:51 AM

56 posts, read 199,863 times
You should try South Jersey... you might just find it to be the best of both worlds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey