U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-29-2008, 12:38 AM

25 posts, read 46,012 times

Advertisements

I live in Hudson County and work in bergen county, will like to know if there is anywhere in those area where i could obtain the 75 hour course for an affordable price to obtain my real estate license?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 06:16 AM

10 posts, read 33,291 times
I believe there's one in Secaucus

NJDOBI - Real Estate Commission (broken link)

Old 05-29-2008, 08:00 AM

527 posts, read 914,191 times
There you go, that is a decent resource. The yellow sign company runs lots of classes as well, you are in no way obligated to sign with them just because you took their class though.

On a side note, being a REALTOR is never a easy business to get started in. Now more than ever is a very difficult time to get started. Many of the traditional ways that new agents would obtain clients are not working very well right now.

My best advice to you is to try to have lunch with a few successful REALTORs who you may know and see what you can learn about what is working now. The other piece of advice is that you need to create a detailed business plan.

Remember, in normal real estate markets only 1 out of 30 new licenses manage to get through their first year in the business. The numbers don't get much better when looking at the 2nd year. Most of these people who don't make it, had no business plan and if they did, they did not try to meet the goals in it.

Old 05-29-2008, 03:17 PM

25 posts, read 46,012 times
thank you. yeah i just want to obtained a license just to have and hopefully do it as part time or on the weekend.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:39 PM

2 posts, read 3,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by draptp911 View Post
thank you. yeah i just want to obtained a license just to have and hopefully do it as part time or on the weekend.
Just be careful and diligent in your fact finding before going in. It's a very difficult profession to undertake on a part-time or limited basis. You're also going to want to make sure that you're aware of all of the dues, fees and expenses you'll be responsible for (just to make and keep you licensed, current and active to sell on an annual basis). You'll also need to be realistic about how flexible you can or cannot be with your time & schedule. You need to be available when the client needs you, also keeping in mind that there is a tremendous amount of legwork and computer work behind the scenes. Always remember that there are a ton of REALTORS out there, and that friends and family can only get you so far. Again, I really can't stress enough how key availability and flexibity are in the business. Please don't get me wrong... I'm not trying to disuade you. These are just some of the more important things that you'll have to consider to make an informed decision.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:12 PM

665 posts, read 1,200,470 times
Kovats in Maywood.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:11 AM

1,288 posts, read 4,142,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motortown View Post
Just be careful and diligent in your fact finding before going in. It's a very difficult profession to undertake on a part-time or limited basis. You're also going to want to make sure that you're aware of all of the dues, fees and expenses you'll be responsible for (just to make and keep you licensed, current and active to sell on an annual basis). You'll also need to be realistic about how flexible you can or cannot be with your time & schedule. You need to be available when the client needs you, also keeping in mind that there is a tremendous amount of legwork and computer work behind the scenes. Always remember that there are a ton of REALTORS out there, and that friends and family can only get you so far. Again, I really can't stress enough how key availability and flexibity are in the business. Please don't get me wrong... I'm not trying to disuade you. These are just some of the more important things that you'll have to consider to make an informed decision.
Very well stated. As a realtor it costs me at least $1000 a year in fees. When you factor in advertising, I am well over that. Advertising a year can cost thousands!!! I end up paying for licensing fees, real estate franchise dues, MLS fees, etc. etc. etc. Just from memory I paid:

$200 Middlesex MLS Fee
$100 Momouth MLS Fee (Portion)
$400 Re/Max Dues
$222 Some Random Fee
And there are many more I can not remember

Old 06-02-2008, 04:06 PM

220 posts, read 398,494 times
Well, "yes" everything everyone wrote prior to this is very accurate BUT...from a different angle....I am new to the biz as of 10/07 & doing it part time as well and I LOVE it. I attended a Kovats class offered by an adult education school near my home & found it online.
BUT I suggest to try one of the big brokers (as someone mentioned) & have THEM foot the bill for the class. I was dumb not to. Otherwise it will run you somewhere around $300.
Everyone told me the same things as people are stating here BUT I looked at like "what better time to take my time & learn the business while the market is down and hopefully by the time the market changes, I will have 1 or 2 years under my belt & a resume to offer my future clients". If this venture to you is NOT what you are relying on to pay your bills & it's something you CAN undertake as additional income or on the side, I say GO FOR IT & Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey