Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2023, 07:30 AM

19,969 posts, read 8,872,686 times

Advertisements

People used ambulances for unnecessary rides to hospitals for years. This is the result of that.

Where I live there's a EMS subscription program - make a $75 annual contribution to a county fund and you're covered for any costs associated with emergency transport for any household member for one year. Check and see if one is available in your area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2023, 02:34 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,014,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
They are mostly all privatized now, they can charge whatever they want. My mother owed $500 to take her from her assisted living facility directly across the street to the hospital. I could have wheeled her across in her wheelchair.
There must be contracts in some instances. That would include a fee schedule in the contract. People might want to look into their township services before something like this is needed. A shame it's come to this.

Old 05-28-2023, 04:35 PM

50,387 posts, read 36,021,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
All I'll say, the fly by night companies taxiing patients to healthcare providers need to be investigated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

False charges, lies and insurance scam!

They're not false charges, and it's not a scam. What it is, is unbridled capitalism. There are no regulations regarding what ambulances can charge, they can charge you $20,000 a mile if they want to (I would think of all posters you'd be glad there's no regulation). Just like that a-hole who went to jail was allowed to charge 100x as much when he bought the company that made epi-pens. Capitalism works well in a free market, but in health care people like OP are not in any position to have a choice. The more our health care becomes privatized, especially by Wall Street, the higher the prices will go.

Old 05-28-2023, 04:38 PM

50,387 posts, read 36,021,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I was just talking to a woman in my complex whose husband needed an ambulance. $3400. Insurance won't cover because his condition was not life-threatening, which they did not know when they called the ambulance but was later determined at the hospital.

Part of the problem is that volunteer ambulance corps are disappearing because there are no more volunteers. Same is happening in many communities with fire departments. There will soon be a need for paid firefighters in a lot of places that never had them before.

I don't think it was just the lack of volunteers. I would bet their liability insurance costs probably made it very difficult for volunteer units to continue to operate. Probably much more than boots full of coins could pay for.

Old 05-29-2023, 10:57 AM

23,830 posts, read 33,355,576 times
My old town had a volunteer squad that was done away with for a company to do it. The volunteers had a petition, lots of people signed it but it didn't help.

My dad was a volunteer from the late 60's until he retired 40 years later up in North Jersey.

They used to schedule rides to the hospital for residents when it wasn't busy. The residents donated every time they had a fund drive. I'll have to look to see if they went private too.

We got a shock when we moved here in 2008, my daughter fell down the steps, refused to get up, called the ambo, turns out it cost $800 back then. The hospital is not as close as ocnj's mothers ride, I'm about 10 minutes from there, it was not a long ride at all. Her insurance applied $600 to her deductible for the horrible insurance her father had for her. I made some phone calls, kept up on the bill until they would do me the favor to write the rest off since I was a home owner paying a lot of taxes.

Old 06-01-2023, 05:52 PM

3,416 posts, read 1,808,647 times
Best advice? Don't use an ambulance.

Old 06-01-2023, 06:19 PM

32,829 posts, read 36,105,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrioticSuperman View Post
Best advice? Don't use an ambulance.
Ambulance or possibly die? Hmmm. What to do?

Old 06-01-2023, 11:30 PM

10,174 posts, read 6,726,678 times
Best advice, quit uber and buy an ambulance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey