Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 10:21 PM

2 posts, read 2,619 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am in similar situation with 2 kids living in UK..My son is 16 years old and is in 11th class and my daughter 5 years in 1st year primary

I am asked if I would like to move to US with pay approx 110k and was suggested that many people live in NJ and commute to NY

Wondering if its worth a move

Please let me know your thoughts

Regards,
Arun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 10:55 PM

4,286 posts, read 10,766,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arun nayar View Post
Hi,

I am in similar situation with 2 kids living in UK..My son is 16 years old and is in 11th class and my daughter 5 years in 1st year primary

I am asked if I would like to move to US with pay approx 110k and was suggested that many people live in NJ and commute to NY

Regards,
Arun

110k is a very good salary in New Jersey. A normal, middle class guy typically make from 40-60k a year in NJ.

Old 07-18-2010, 04:36 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,859,501 times
110k with 2 kids renting a house (or even 3 bedroom apartment) in NJ close to NYC - you will be OK but I would not say that comfortable. Does that 110k include housing or vehicle?

Old 07-18-2010, 08:03 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,274,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arun nayar View Post
Hi,

Regards,
Arun
The most expensive cost by far is going to be housing. While that is a decent salary in the sense that most households in NJ don't earn that much, you're still going to have to extend yourself to find housing options that are suitable for your family. It's not that you can't do it, but it is going to take up a hefty chunk of your after tax dollars.

By the time you're done with tax, retirement and health insurance, your take home pay will be about 55k or so. You'll probably end up spending about half of that (e.g. 2k-2.5k/mon) on housing.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:30 PM

198 posts, read 530,179 times
Don't do it if your kid is approaching college age. Your child will be an international student and won't be able to pay in state tuition. University schooling in the US is very expensive you are not a US citizen.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:57 PM

478 posts, read 1,229,897 times
Here's my take on it. There's 2 reasons for you to live here as a single person- hang out in NYC or Hoboken and or the beach and blow all your cash and the second is for job prospects. Work a year at your job and start looking for a higher paying job. If your field tops out at 60k and you can do it anywhere, maybe have a few years here, then choose a cheaper place to live.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:04 PM

2 posts, read 2,619 times
Thanks All for your Comments..Above gives me brief idea on what I can expect...Will Come back once I hear more on move..

Old 08-02-2010, 02:47 AM

10 posts, read 31,450 times
Hi all,

I've read the responses to "My husband makes approximately $100k and we are struggling." and it seems things might not so bad for my situation, but I would like your opinions nevertheless, my wife is a bit concerned about our future financial situation.

My wife and I will be moving to NJ early next year and I will be making USD 100k/year. (My wife might be able to find a job, but for the moment we're not counting on it.)

We have no kids, we will be renting and we would like to have two cars available (can be small and cheap, doesn't matter as long as they are safe), we have no insurance history (moving from Europe). We expect to pay 2k/month for rent (someplace a 30-60 min commute from Princeton).

HR informed me that US/NJ tax is approximately 30% in total, so we would have 70k net income. Setting apart 24k for rent would leave us 46k/year or 3800/month for all other expenses.

To me, that seemed plenty to live comfortably and own two modest cars, but from reading more and more posts on this forum, I am starting to doubt if we can set money apart to safe?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey