Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 11:52 PM

10 posts, read 86,442 times

Advertisements

Hey! My name is Gabe and I'm looking to move and was wondering if New Jersey is a good place. I've never live it a city. I'm from New Mexico and live outside of Albuquerque in a town called Los Lunas. I'm looking for opportunities but thought that'd I'd do some research before making any big decisions. Please let me know which area is best, least amount of crime/drugs/gangs, the best communities, the pricey areas and cheaper areas, and how racism is (if any). I think thats all I can think of. So please help me out. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2006, 07:35 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,754,234 times
ArenasNM,
You said you've never lived in a city-are you looking now to live in/close to a city? If so, would that be NY, Philly, or a smaller city in NJ (Jersey City or Newark, for example).

Also, are you moving with a family?

To answer generally, NJ is very expensive. Especially if you do want to be close to NY. Real Estate and rentals are high, as are the taxes and auto insurance. The crime/gang activity really varies throughout the state. And as far as drugs go, I think that's really and issue everywhere now. Even the most upscale schools here have their share of drugs.

I've lived in many parts of NJ all my life, so if you could be more specific, I'll try to help!

Old 05-15-2006, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseymom
ArenasNM,
You said you've never lived in a city-are you looking now to live in/close to a city? If so, would that be NY, Philly, or a smaller city in NJ (Jersey City or Newark, for example).

Also, are you moving with a family?

To answer generally, NJ is very expensive. Especially if you do want to be close to NY. Real Estate and rentals are high, as are the taxes and auto insurance. The crime/gang activity really varies throughout the state. And as far as drugs go, I think that's really and issue everywhere now. Even the most upscale schools here have their share of drugs.

I've lived in many parts of NJ all my life, so if you could be more specific, I'll try to help!
Well I'm thinking to move outside of a city... Like right now I live about 25 minutes from a city, driving on the interstate.

And I will be moving with a friend up there so it will just be the 2 of us. No family.

And also, can you give me an example of the high prices.

Old 05-16-2006, 11:14 PM

32 posts, read 127,960 times
If I may give you a little input on Jersey. I live in Southern NJ about 20 minutes from Philly. Personally, it's rare that I ever visit Philly because I can't stand the traffic. 20 minutes is no traffic, rush hour can be an 45 min. to an hour. My family is considering a move to SC because although I've lived in NJ all my life, it's time to go. I live in a nice small town called Stratford, very family oriented with good schools. I love the town but our taxes increase an average of $400 per year, and that is low compared to many other surrounding areas. The average house selling in the area is proabably 40+ yrs. old and sells for about $250 K, the further north you go the more you pay. There are towns in the area which have lower household incomes and homes are cheaper, but they also tend to have higher crime rates. This part of Jersey and any area close to a city is highly populated and in my opinion, most of NJ is over populated which makes traveling difficult at times. Well hoped this helped with some of the asnwers you were looking for.

Old 05-17-2006, 12:41 AM

Lisa1206

Thank you for your response. I'm reconsidering my thoughts. I've been reading others and it sounds too expensive to make the move over there. Thank you!

Old 06-09-2006, 07:16 AM

69 posts, read 492,095 times
New Jersey is soooo much different than New Mexico I have visited my sister in Albuquerque and it's really nice. Just wondering why you would want to come out here. I would love to move to New Mexico!!!!

Old 06-09-2006, 07:42 PM

5 posts, read 25,479 times
I've lived my whole life in New Jersey. Like any other state one town can be 100 times different from the town next to it. I live in Gloucester County. It's in South New Jersey. About 20 minutes away from Philly. If you want a nice, quiet, safe place to live I suggest Mullica Hill, Harrison, Mantua, Wenonah, Harrisonville. Mantua I believe is the cheapest. Most houses around $200,000. It's got a great school system. Alot of employment oppurtunities, since it is located close to Philadelphia, Atlantic City, and Deleware. My family has lived in the area for 10years. It's a beautiful area.

Old 06-22-2006, 04:36 AM

2 posts, read 17,303 times
Default For Gabe from New Mexico-

Take this advice above all others- If you are thinking to perhaps relocate somewhere in or around New Jersey, take some time off work (unhurried) and plan a trip to the general area. Everyone should experience city life (or at least be able to travel to it), once in their life- especially in the northeast. It is worth it. The greater the expense is often an indication that life there ( ammenities, opportunity, culture, ecc.) has alot more to offer than the less expensive places which (like many flourishing communities in the formerly "poor" southeast) are quickly catching up to Northern prices when apartments, mortgages and shopping is concerned. It is a pattern that repeats itself throughout the country, and like the saying goes... you get what you pay for.
Dont turn your nose up at the Northeast just yet, it may turn out to be the best move you ever made.
Check it out.
I am.

Moving back up North, Ivo G. (Good Luck)

Old 03-11-2009, 03:17 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,088,493 times
There is some very good advice on these posts. Cercando1 has great advice about taking a trip here to get a feeling of the place. If you're looking for city-life, you won't be disappointed with life and culture in Philly or NYC. I've been to Albuquerque, NM, so if you come, be prepared for a very different environment (not a desert but lots of trees, mountains, and lakes), people/diverse ethnic groups, food, weather, etc. Also, NJ is one of the highest taxed states in the U.S. and the most densely populated so, in most area, you'll get less living space for your dollars. Good luck and welcome to NJ (if you decide to come)!

Old 03-12-2009, 12:27 PM

1 posts, read 5,137 times
I will move in New Jersey with Miley Cyrus March 20,2009!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey