Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 07:40 AM

5,951 posts, read 13,059,162 times

Advertisements

Just curious,

given the very close proximity of much of the northern New Jersey population to New York City, (I know much of Northern New Jersey are basically bedroom communities/suburbs) of New York, do any of you say you are from the New York area when talking to someone outside your region.

After all, I know some of the NYC sports teams are located in across the Hudson.

So do you identify yourselves as New York area people, or does the effect of being in a different state all together prevent that kind of thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 07:43 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,614,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Just curious,

given the very close proximity of much of the northern New Jersey population to New York City, (I know much of Northern New Jersey are basically bedroom communities/suburbs) of New York, do any of you say you are from the New York area when talking to someone outside your region.

After all, I know some of the NYC sports teams are located in across the Hudson.

So do you identify yourselves as New York area people, or does the effect of being in a different state all together prevent that kind of thing?
i say northern NJ...if that elicits a blank stare (which, given the geographical ignorance of most ppl in this country, is a lot), I'll say "near NYC".

Old 06-03-2008, 07:59 AM

7,216 posts, read 11,896,754 times
Never. Well I actually live closer to PA anyway. My ex-husband and I used to travel quite often, he used to always say NY when people asked us where we were from.....I hated it

Old 06-03-2008, 08:12 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,652,303 times
I say new jersey... I once got asked if I was "strapped"....

I think they watch too much Soprano's elsewhere.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:40 AM

171 posts, read 814,201 times
When we vacation outside the country, we say NY. Not too many people outside US heard of NJ, but NY everyone knows. Besides we only moved from Brooklyn 2 years ago, so we're still in a transitional state of mind. Especially my 10 year old son, he never misses a chance to say he's actually from NY... it's still an adjustment.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:54 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,607,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Just curious,

no way, it's a whole different state no matter how close it is to ny, laws, etc. I live literally next to a bridge to PA and I never go there, no reason to.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:58 AM

786 posts, read 2,657,742 times
Uh, no.

I always say I'm from Nu Joizey....

PS. Since NJ is richer than NY as measured by personal income, why exactly would I ever say I'm from that place?

Old 06-03-2008, 09:20 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,704,160 times
I just say Jersey

Old 06-03-2008, 09:23 AM

1,972 posts, read 5,413,980 times
I know that sometimes people think we have an identify crisis with NYC in NNJ and Philly in SJ, but no true jersian will ever say "I'm from NYC or Philly" that's like sacreligious *sp or something. I simply say, I'm from jersey and they know where Jersey is, not like if you were from New Mexico and you say "Mexico".

Old 06-03-2008, 10:02 AM

7,053 posts, read 19,238,002 times
I say Jersey unless I'm overseas, although a surprising number of Londoners know about New Jersey well enough. Smug Parisians will pretend they've never heard of New York, "what is this York Nouveau of which you parle?" I work in Manhattan and live very close to it (my place is closer to Wall Street than many parts of Manhattan), but New Jersey is a state with a strong identity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey