Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 04:27 PM

1 posts, read 7,575 times

Advertisements

We're contemplating buying a house with oil heat, but there is gas piped to the building now. What are the comparable rates for oil vs gas? I read the thread about the oil to gas conversions with the comments by Bob Kovacs. Does he have anyone he could recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 04:33 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,854,770 times
Last time I checked something like:
$4.75 a gallon for 134,00 BTU of oil
$1.45 for 100,000 BTU of gas

Old 08-25-2008, 02:03 PM

1 posts, read 7,428 times
Very helpful info, thanks!
I'm ready to convert from oil to Gas; last year was so expensive. My unit is very old.
Do anyone have a reliable company that they would recommend in Bergen County?

Old 08-25-2008, 10:21 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,363,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doerayme View Post
I heard that there are state grants that help defray some of the costs of converting or maybe some assistance through the gas company. Is that true. I'm buying a house with an underground oil tank (everything tested out fine) but I'd like to convert to gas as soon as humanly possible. Thanks for your input. I'm a new "home" owner (currently own an apartment) so alot of these things seem so daunting...
Have the Homeowner remove the tank, that costs, and better to remove it because it may leak in the future . I also think you will have a problem insuring the house with an underground tank.

Diane G

Old 08-26-2008, 05:28 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,598,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mig_R View Post
Very helpful info, thanks!
I'm ready to convert from oil to Gas; last year was so expensive. My unit is very old.
Do anyone have a reliable company that they would recommend in Bergen County?
I sent you a Direct Message. Let me knwo if you have any questions.

Old 09-29-2008, 04:21 AM

3 posts, read 21,290 times
I need to convert a 4 unit apartment building to gas, currently pay for heat and hot water for tenants. Have 1,000 gallon below ground tank. Hot water heat using oil in winter and gas in summer. What is the best solution, convert so tenants pay or just convert my system????

Old 09-29-2008, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2NC94 View Post
I need to convert a 4 unit apartment building to gas, currently pay for heat and hot water for tenants. Have 1,000 gallon below ground tank. Hot water heat using oil in winter and gas in summer. What is the best solution, convert so tenants pay or just convert my system????
You'll have to have 4 separate meters if you opt. to have the tenants pay for their own fuel. No big deal... I believe the gas company pays for those. Do you currently have one heating system for the entire building? Are you considering putting in 4 units - one for each unit?

Old 09-29-2008, 10:22 AM

1 posts, read 7,222 times
Default Filtering HVAC Sales Fluff from Facts

I just had two HVAC contractors from Mercer County come to inspect our 30 year-old oil-steam boiler and hot-water heater. Both just gave me estimates double or more the $5-6k estimated on this website for just replacing the water heater and steam boiler by tapping into our existing gas supply at the meter (the underground tank removal was extra). When I asked about just replacing the burner with gas both indicated that a burner conversion was not safe, they don't do burner conversions and one got upset that I even mentioned burner conversions and just left.

Both HVAC contractors gave me one price with no breakdown on parts and labor and one choice for the boiler and water heater. The contractor that did not leave told me that all boilers are the same and one price estimates are standard practice. Is this normal that HVAC contractors are reluctant to allow consumers to comparison shop for the appliances? And should I expect $10-12k for a replace and install of a water heater and steam boiler?

Thanks in advance,
Don

Old 09-29-2008, 10:39 AM

3 posts, read 21,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
You'll have to have 4 separate meters if you opt. to have the tenants pay for their own fuel. No big deal... I believe the gas company pays for those. Do you currently have one heating system for the entire building? Are you considering putting in 4 units - one for each unit?
Have only one heating system now for the entire building and yes I'm considering putting in 4 units...any idea what it will cost me?

Old 09-29-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Cox View Post
I just had two HVAC contractors from Mercer County come to inspect our 30 year-old oil-steam boiler and hot-water heater. Both just gave me estimates double or more the $5-6k estimated on this website for just replacing the water heater and steam boiler by tapping into our existing gas supply at the meter (the underground tank removal was extra). When I asked about just replacing the burner with gas both indicated that a burner conversion was not safe, they don't do burner conversions and one got upset that I even mentioned burner conversions and just left.

Both HVAC contractors gave me one price with no breakdown on parts and labor and one choice for the boiler and water heater. The contractor that did not leave told me that all boilers are the same and one price estimates are standard practice. Is this normal that HVAC contractors are reluctant to allow consumers to comparison shop for the appliances? And should I expect $10-12k for a replace and install of a water heater and steam boiler?

Thanks in advance,
Don
All boilers are not the same! Because you have gas or are considering converting to gas...you will need a separate water heater - if you stayed with oil..you could simply add a boiler mate. 10K to 12K... is your home a large home? How many zones???? Is they duct work in already for the A/C????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey