U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-19-2009, 04:07 PM

1,057 posts, read 370,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zehnbauer View Post
Has anyone had any bad experiences with Community Hospital in Toms River, NJ?
Ha, you know, everyone says it's a terrible hospital but I've never actually heard a specific example of anyone having a problem there.

Nearby Ocean Medical Center is the REAL terrible hospital. They have chronic issues with their hospital culture being one of depression, death and uncaring treatment of patients and they are grossly understaffed to the point where I know a COPD patient who couldn't even get her breathing treatments because nobody was there to administer them. My family successfully got the nursing license of one of their ICU nurses revoked for ill-treatment of my grandmother. Other people I know have gone there and contracted MRSA, and had relatively minor issues become major ones.

Funny thing is, Jersey Shore Univ. Med. Ctr. is owned by the same company and is EXCELLENT. My mother recently had to go to the E.R. there and had a rather major medical issue (internal bleeding after a colonoscopy) fully solved within 24 hours and one night in the ICU. She went home the following day and has been just fine ever since. The ICU staff was top-notch and they took great care of her.

I also have good things to say about Southern Ocean County Hospital. It's a beautiful facility and friends I know who have gone there both for emergencies and other reasons have always had good experiences.

From what I hear, Kimball Medical Center is an absolute train wreck.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 07:17 PM

1,033 posts, read 2,996,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post
Ha, you know, everyone says it's a terrible hospital but I've never actually heard a specific example of anyone having a problem there.
This is what I know about Community Hospital in TR from personal experience. First it is part of St. Barnabas. I have had to use the ER 4 times because most of my dr.'s are in North Jersey because there just aren't many great docs down here. So in a pinch on a weekend I've had to use the ER. The 1st time was with my DD. The ER Pediatrician was AWESOME. By far the best ER Doc I've ever met. The other 3 times (all on weekends) I was provided quick, efficient, friendly treatment and told there wasn't any emergency but followed up with family docs the following week to have the ER diagnosis changed along with treatment.

I have also bad hospice care through this hospital 4 years ago for my mom. It was a HORRIBLE experience...so much so that formal apologies were sent from administration.

Basically, if I need to be hospitalized I would not choose community (if I have time to choose.)

Old 07-21-2009, 12:57 PM

87 posts, read 200,447 times
Default Kennedy Memorial in Washington Township

Most of the physicians on staff are D.O.'s and not M.D.'s. Some people have a strong preference for M.D.'s but I have only heard positive things from people treated there.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:02 AM

326 posts, read 809,537 times
In North Jersey my top hospital is Hackensack. They have treated me and famliy memebers and done a wonderful job. I spent 6 days there and I was taken care of by some of the best staff members. My one complaint is that while half the building is new and nice you could get stuck in the old part of the building which needs to be updated.

Valley Hospital in Ridgewood is good.

Pascack was a nightmare and i think it is a good thing it's closed now.

I have also heard that Meadowlands in Secaucus is not good.

Holy Name in Teaneck was not a good experience for me. I spent 8 days in there and while they loved to wake you up all hours of the night they left me alone all day. I did not particularly care for the attitudes of the staff there. It has been 7 years so hopefully things have changed.

My family has been in and out of Chilton in Pompton Lakes and they were wonderful but the hospital is very small and I am not sure what their capabilities are.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:41 AM

2 posts, read 3,884 times
Yes my mother died in comm hospital of toms river, i thought the place was awful. They were sloppy and unskilled in my opinion and very unfeeling. I think that hospitals in N. Jersey are far superior for the most part, but it depends on your doctor. My mother was 87 and died of sepsis there. I would not go there. They were doing invasive procedures on her and should not have. Lord have mercy.

DD

Old 12-12-2011, 01:14 AM

19,618 posts, read 13,718,307 times
We've had good experience at Princeton Medical Center and RWJ in New Brunswick. I was born at Princeton Medical Center. My sister gave birth to her three children there. I can't believe how nice their rooms were. They have nicer furniture than I have in my bedroom. Real art, real nice wood furniture.

My mom was at Princeton Medical Center for 5 days last year, it was excellent. It's just annoying to go to being in downtown.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:20 AM

4,829 posts, read 3,945,354 times
A distant relative was hospitalized at Community Medical Center in Toms River a few months ago, and her family quickly lost all faith in that hospital, due to slip-ups, contradictory statements, and inconsistent diagnoses.

A very invasive lab test was necessary, and it was performed.
Two days later, when the family pressed an MD for the outcome of the test, he mumbled something about..."inconclusive". One particularly astute family member pressed for further details, and the MD continued to be evasive. Finally, he stated that an insufficient amount of tissue had been been extracted, and that the test would have to be repeated.

Filled with anxiety, the patient waited to be prepped the next day for this invasive test to be repeated. However, the test was not performed. Again, the one astute family member asked the same evasive MD about the reasons for a delay in re-testing. At this point, he stated that a sufficient amount of tissue HAD been extracted on the first occasion, and that re-testing was unnecessary.

So--was he wrong the first time, or was he lying on the second occasion when he was questioned? Through the entire episode, nursing care was innattentive and mostly uncaring, according to the patient. The only positive comments had to do with the Diabetes Educator, who apparently was very good at her job.

Two days later, the patient was sent home with medication, based on a test that may or may not have been done correctly. A month later, she was barely improved, which certainly called the outcome of testing and the prescribed medication into question.

More than likely, she will need to be hospitalized again, but the family intends to seek a different hospital, based on their experiences with Community Medical Center.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:37 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,436,025 times
RWJ in Hamilton woke me up at 4:00 a.m. ... I thought to take blood ... woke me up at that hour to move me to another room, because they had a patient that needed the room more. In my 5-day stay, I was in three different rooms. A ninety-year old woman tried to pay me to help her escape; she was always yelling for help. I told a nurse "if you don't give her something to help her sleep, give it to me!"

Old 12-12-2011, 08:42 AM

147 posts, read 171,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njsocks View Post
Just wondering as I have only been here a few months!

I know everyone has a hospital they try to avoid in their area!! good or bad!!
One to avoid is St Mary's in Passaic. They fouled up every time I or a friend/relative has been there. They insisted I change into a hospital gown, then lost my personal stuff. The room was infested with bugs. They kept me waiting for hours. The doctor I saw was arrogant and incompetent.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:15 AM

9 posts, read 17,117 times
ok so Im looking too. from what I have read on the rating site and here on this site, I live in Jersey City and my best two choices are- St. Michaels and UMDNJ. these were my top two choices from the rating site also. please give feedback - which one is BEST - thanks everybody.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey