Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 09:57 AM

1 posts, read 11,193 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to Edison NJ - I have elementary age school children/spouse working in NYC. Any suggestions on best schools/areas to look for houses??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 10:02 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Depends on your budget. The north side of Edison is generally the more desirable side, but the housing costs are much higher as well. Either side of town is convenient for commuting to NYC- the south side has access to the Edison train station, and the north side has access to Metropark station in Iselin.

Old 06-06-2008, 03:57 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,752,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Depends on your budget. The north side of Edison is generally the more desirable side, but the housing costs are much higher as well. Either side of town is convenient for commuting to NYC- the south side has access to the Edison train station, and the north side has access to Metropark station in Iselin.
Couldnt have said it any better or simpler. +1

Ive been in South Edison (between 27 & 1) for 2 years now and my neighboors are cool. Im not "friends" with any of them as im rarely home but thay are all nice when we do run into each other. My son is only 14 months so I dont know enough about the schools yet but ive heard they are not bad. They are stilling working on Rt1 north so traffic to MetroPark suxs. Went from an easy 5-10 min drive to 30-45 min when its bad. Hopefully they will be done by end of summer but who knows. Welcome.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:27 PM

45 posts, read 203,369 times
All of Edison is pretty nice, but the north side of the town is much nicer (and of course also much more expensive). The south side isn't bad or anything, just not nearly as nice as North Edison. As for schools, I believe the schools in North Edison are a bit better.

So yes overall North Edison is better then South Edison but there are no bad areas of Edison...anywhere you go you will be fine. As a previous poster said, it depends on your budget. If you can afford North Edison I would go there, if not South Edison is fine too.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:00 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,485,684 times
I have a friend who lives in No. Edison and she is trying to get her kids into the Metuchen school system...from my best recollection of conversations with her about this subject, Metuchen will take a certain amount of children from surrounding school districts (don't know why, can only guess the classes aren't full)...but there is a yearly "tuition" fee to do so.

Her issue with the No. Edison schools stems from her son's experience in Kindergarten...some kids aren't allowed to "be friends" with other kids based on their cultural backgrounds and she wasn't very happy about her little 5 year old asking her why "so-and-so" isn't "allowed" to play with him. Apparently other parents have had the same issues and are frustrated. Don't know, I don't live there. May be different in older grades but like I said, I really don't know anything other than what my friend has told me.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:08 PM

70 posts, read 229,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyG View Post
I have a friend who lives in No. Edison and she is trying to get her kids into the Metuchen school system...from my best recollection of conversations with her about this subject, Metuchen will take a certain amount of children from surrounding school districts (don't know why, can only guess the classes aren't full)...but there is a yearly "tuition" fee to do so.

Her issue with the No. Edison schools stems from her son's experience in Kindergarten...some kids aren't allowed to "be friends" with other kids based on their cultural backgrounds and she wasn't very happy about her little 5 year old asking her why "so-and-so" isn't "allowed" to play with him. Apparently other parents have had the same issues and are frustrated. Don't know, I don't live there. May be different in older grades but like I said, I really don't know anything other than what my friend has told me.
Edison is home to a lot of Indians (asian). You mix that with the mentality of certain types of people who live in NJ, and you get a lot of innocent Indian kids who are picked on left and right in school. It's kind of sad.

Last edited by movingsoon123; 06-09-2008 at 09:19 PM..

Old 06-09-2008, 09:58 PM

1 posts, read 11,065 times
Default Well, it depends on your budget and liking

I have lived in Edison for 20 years now. I have seen this town grow in all shapes and sizes. It's one of the best towns in the US if you are looking for a diverse community. You have Indians, Chinese, Koreans and Philippinos etc. - all living and sharing the American dream. Since last 5-6 years, some old homes are getting leveled to spring up new ones on the same lot. In most cases, zoning has been horrible. You have got a 1 million dollar home right next to a $400k ranch in some pockets. If you have got pertinence, the remaining ranches might get similar treatment and give the visual appeal a proper zoning should give - but who knows! So visually it may not be appealing to some. I for sure don't like 3800 sq ft home right next to 1100 sq ft ranch. It’s my only major gripe with the town. Old administration pretty much gave a free run to some builders during 2001-2005. However, be prepared to see such sites in Edison. On the plus side, you will find best of Chinese, Indian and Thai food to choose from! And not to mention one of the best locations for commute in either direction. Commute to Metropark is a pain during rush hours. Though, it's still faster than moving to south stations like New Brunswick etc.

Given your kids are still young, you might want to look into Stephenville area for bigger lots. It’s expensive but is right in the center of North and South Edison. But it too suffers from the zoning issues, at least for now.

My kids go to the James Madison Elementary in the North and I can tell you that it's a good school. There are two teachers dedicated per class focusing on different subject matters and are complementary to each other. The ratio of teacher to the students is good. The curriculum is very good and fairly comprehensive. Schools (or should I say the ethnic diversity has raised the bar) are fairly competitive and you might see some disparity between North and South. However, both the school systems offer plenty for the dedicated parent. There are plenty of activities post school.

There are some new homes around Martin Luther elementary, but you will have to deal with the rail road traffic and some noise. Martin is also a very decent school. It’s also next to a golf course, behind which exists Woodland Ave, which houses new estate homes between $1.5mil to $2.5 mil. Good luck!

Last edited by jaambaazz; 06-09-2008 at 10:07 PM..

Old 06-09-2008, 09:59 PM

15 posts, read 58,253 times
Metuchen area.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:09 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,485,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingsoon123 View Post
Edison is home to a lot of Indians (asian). You mix that with the mentality of certain types of people who live in NJ, and you get a lot of innocent Indian kids who are picked on left and right in school. It's kind of sad.
Exact opposite. My girlfriend's kid is white as a sheet...it's the Indian population who don't want their kids playing with "whiteys". Sorry, but true.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:45 PM

10 posts, read 54,496 times
lol, OMG reverse discrimination. Why can't we all just get along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey